U2 SNUBBED BY GRAMMY AFTER RELEASING ONE OF THIER BEST ALBUMS EVER, YOUR THOUGHTS?

u2zoo24

In past years U2 has swept the grammys like a janitor sweeps up popcorn in a theatre. After releasing what many people believe to be thier best album ever Grammy says squat. Despite positive critic feedback. Instead Lady Gaga B.E.P. and The Killers (who U2 helped promote) get all the nods. Whats the deal? Your Thoughts?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

The first sentence of your post is exactly why the thoughts "snubbed" and "U2" in regards to the Grammy's do not go together. And you'll find some debate on whether people consider NLOTH their best album ever.

And just to mention; just because U2 may have been helpful in getting The Killers recognized doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not The Killer's music was found Grammy nomination worthy over U2.

IMO, the only time U2 was snubbed of a Grammy was when they lost the Grammy for Best Album for Achtung Baby.

• Subscriber

The first sentence of your post is exactly why the thoughts "snubbed" and "U2" in regards to the Grammy's do not go together. And you'll find some debate on whether people consider NLOTH their best album ever.

And just to mention; just because U2 may have been helpful in getting The Killers recognized doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not The Killer's music was found Grammy nomination worthy over U2.

IMO, the only time U2 was snubbed of a Grammy was when they lost the Grammy for Best Album for Achtung Baby.

• Subscriber

While I have no problem with the aforementioned acts, I really do feel like U2 were snubbed. This partly has to be due to the fact that NLOTH has been considered a sales "flop" and there were no successful singles. I really don't expect them to win any of the awards they are nominated for this year.

• Subscriber

I don't think they were snubbed and don't think NLOTH is their best album ever created, a really great album - yes, but their best ever, no. I am a big fan of theirs, love NLOTH, would loved to have seen them nominated for more and do a full sweep on the awards. They were nominated for best rock album and etc so that's definitely something.

I don't really place a lot of value on the Grammy awards so I guess I don't see it as that big of a deal. I can understand from an artist perspective why they value being nominated, but really I think most people don't really place much value on who wins what awards. I think most of the public will listen to what they want to listen to despite who wins what award at the Grammys. Sure we want our favorite artists, like U2, to win because we want them to realize just how well they are doing and how great their music is, but I'm not going to let an awards ceremony dictate to me what is great music and what is not. I'm going to listen to what I want to listen to and NLOTH is one of the albums I listen to pretty regularly.

On a broader perspective, rock overall has not really been that dominant in the main stream which is why they likely were not nominated for record or album of the year. Come on, just look at the nominees under these categories, they're all largely pop. They were also the big sellers of this year and dominated the radio. I think the exception to this has been the Kings of Leon, well at least in the US, hence the nominations in the larger categories.

ceallach67

If you have been paying attention to the website here you will find that many people think this is thier best album ever. That they have reached a level of perfection with this album that has never been seen before. Adams bass has grown and the band is tighter than ever. This album got more praise from music critics than many of u2's previous albums.

Perhaps you remember the Grammys for altyclb, Five of them i believe and in all the major categories. I believe they did nearly as well with htdaab Are you actually gonna tell me atlylb and htdaab are beter than nloth? No way! If they won a bunch for those albums they should be winning a bunch for this one. And i dont believe i ever said The killers are not worthy of the grammy. But i don't think thier album is worthy of recognition over U2's thats for sure.

I tend to agree with Shannon 387. It dosent really matter and the grammys have changed whats acceptable as good music. I mean grammys are handed out to idots all the time. If they handed out grammys based on quality of music U2 would be up thier every year with hand fulls. Are you honestly gonna say that Lady gaga (total idiot) writes a better song than Bono? That said it is nice to see your favorite band sweep the grammys.

So stop trying to play the all knowing moderator and use your head.

This album is better than ANYTHING released in the last five years.

U2 was snubbed by the grammys compared to previous albums and thats a fact. 

• Subscriber

[quote name=u2zoo24]ceallach67

If you have been paying attention to the website here you will find that many people think this is thier best album ever. That they have reached a level of perfection with this album that has never been seen before. Adams bass has grown and the band is tighter than ever. This album got more praise from music critics than many of u2's previous albums.

Perhaps you remember the Grammys for altyclb, Five of them i believe and in all the major categories. I believe they did nearly as well with htdaab Are you actually gonna tell me atlylb and htdaab are beter than nloth? No way! If they won a bunch for those albums they should be winning a bunch for this one. And i dont believe i ever said The killers are not worthy of the grammy. But i don't think thier album is worthy of recognition over U2's thats for sure.

I tend to agree with Shannon 387. It dosent really matter and the grammys have changed whats acceptable as good music. I mean grammys are handed out to idots all the time. If they handed out grammys based on quality of music U2 would be up thier every year with hand fulls. Are you honestly gonna say that Lady gaga (total idiot) writes a better song than Bono? That said it is nice to see your favorite band sweep the grammys.

Hey, It's your oppinion that NLOTH is U2's best album in the last 5 years, also many fans may agree with you on this, it's a matter of tastes. I consider it worst than ATYCLB and HTDAAB and of corse it's another oppinion, but I support it with arguments: those albums produced smashing hits (Beautiful Day, Elevation, Walk On, Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, etc), ATYCLB & HTDAAB were highly appreciated by music industry (won a bunch of Grammies and were praised by critics) and sold millions of CD's.

It's true that NLOTH received generally favourable reviews but don't forget that some critics weren't crazy about it, for example Time magazine calling it "unsatisfied" and "mostly restless, tentative and confused.", also the general public hasn't buy the CD as they did before. 

It's true that the music industry and world's economy is in crisis and that is affecting album sales, but also you may consider this fact: Susan Boyle sold in 2-3 months more copies than NLOTH did in 10 months. and that says a lot (I hope you appreciate that I didn't give Lady Gaga as an example for album sales success)....

• Subscriber
ceallach67

LOL! This really isn't worth my acknowledging.  You have a problem with my opinion? That's great.  Feel free to say so anytime that happens. But the other bullshit you posted here wasn't necessary. Um... how am I "trying to play the all knowing moderator" exactly? Because I gave an opinion you disagree with?  Get over yourself.  You made a thread and asked for people to post their thoughts. That's what I did.  You don't like my thoughts?  That's your problem.  Don't ask for them.  The next time you ask for people to express their thoughts on any given matter, be sure to clarify that in truth you would only like thoughts expressed that you agree with, okay? Because clearly you can't handle when someone expresses a thought that you don't like.

• Subscriber
ceallach67

LOL! This really isn't worth my acknowledging.  You have a problem with my opinion? That's great.  Feel free to say so anytime that happens. But the other bullshit you posted here wasn't necessary. Um... how am I "trying to play the all knowing moderator" exactly? Because I gave an opinion you disagree with?  Get over yourself.  You made a thread and asked for people to post their thoughts. That's what I did.  You don't like my thoughts?  That's your problem.  Don't ask for them.  The next time you ask for people to express their thoughts on any given matter, be sure to clarify that in truth you would only like thoughts expressed that you agree with, okay? Because clearly you can't handle when someone expresses a thought that you don't like.

• Subscriber

[quote name=kris_smith87]While I have no problem with the aforementioned acts, I really do feel like U2 were snubbed. This partly has to be due to the fact that NLOTH has been considered a sales "flop" and there were no successful singles. I really don't expect them to win any of the awards they are nominated for this year.

I don't think that NLOTH was a flop actually.  Sales wise it was one of the best selling of 2009.  I do expect that they will win at least one award they're nominated for.  U2 are and have always been the darlings of the Grammys. While I don't think that NLOTH is U2's best album ever simply because of personal preference,  I can't say it isn't deserving of a Grammy. 

There are many times that I haven't agreed with what the Grammy committee chooses for both the nominees and the winners. I didn't think that U2 should have won as many as they did for HTDAAB.  But I wasn't about to argue with it or be upset by it.  I'm a U2 fan so in my most biased of opinions and mindsets, I want to see them win every award they are up for, whether it was my favorite album/song or not.  It's U2.  But in my most honest of opinions; I can see how other artists' work is just as deserving for some awards.