Any other college students on here?

LinneaS

• Subscriber

OK, am I the only one here who's in school?

Whether you're a "traditional" student (22 or under) or not, I'd love to hear from anyone else who's in school.  Where do go to school?  What are you studying?  When are you planning to graduate?

I'll go first.  I'm 33 and back in school for a better job, 'cause my current field (security) is a dead end, unless you have either military or police experience, and I have neither.  Some of you might remember that I was in a neurology tech program last semester, but it didn't work out, mostly due to factors beyond my control (allergies).  I'm now at a different school, Saint Paul College, working towards an associate's degree in health information technology.  This is essentially handling everything to do with medical records.  I'm taking a small group communication class and an MS Office class at the moment.

With the right planning and a little luck, I'll be graduating in 2012.

*raises hand*

Here!

in college too... studying Graphic Desing (and LOVING it) I'm halfway through my title, will also graduate on 2012 (yaaay before the world ends hahaha) and I'll be 22 by then, which makes me 20 now lol I'm at UABC in Mexico, and plan to work at the USA, hope they don't throw away my applications for being Mexican, but I was born there and I am after all white.

It sounds racist but thats how things are, as long as you're white, doors are open for you.

• Subscriber

I'm almost 38 (10 more days to go) and I am still a college student. Although I don't actually ever set foot in a classroom. I am taking all of my classes online. I am currently a student of San Jose State University in northern California, and I live in southern California. I am working on my Master's degree in library and information science. Basically, I'm studying to be a librarian. I am currently taking advanced cataloging and controversial literature for teens. If all goes as planned, I will graduate in May 2011.

• Subscriber

i work in fashion in an office environment and i just decided this morning after deliberating for a few months to a year to go back to school to be a make up artist. i spent 4 years in fashion college to get a bachelor of science degree to sit around in an office placing orders for winter scarves? (really!!) i mean - im more than happy and lucky to have a good job but.... its not a good fit for me. im way tooooooo animated and have too much energy and this place drains the life out of me!!!

SO --i will be a student once again this spring. i,m hoping to change careers since im so depressed and unhappy in this one which i have worked for 10 years. so while im not again a student yet- i will be soon!! also i have done make up artistry on the side for weddings but i want to be official so i can eventually own my own business or work in the field as a full time career instead of this current one- 'fashion nightmares.'

• Subscriber

*raises hand*

Here!

in college too... studying Graphic Desing (and LOVING it) I'm halfway through my title, will also graduate on 2012 (yaaay before the world ends hahaha) and I'll be 22 by then, which makes me 20 now lol I'm at UABC in Mexico, and plan to work at the USA, hope they don't throw away my applications for being Mexican, but I was born there and I am after all white.

It sounds racist but thats how things are, as long as you're white, doors are open for you.

think positive- not everyone is racist!! :)

• Subscriber

I'm not a student but just wanted to wish you all luck in your studies!

(and Jbarnych - i hope you'll celebrate your birthday on here with us all!!)

I'll be around for a little while, and then I'm off to San Francisco for a few days...birthday present to myself. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very much a "nontraditional" student - and not just because I'm 49 and finally working (slowly) towards a four-year degree!   Long story short:  never have been a "traditional" student, due to what are quaintly called "learning differences" these days.  Even back in kindergarten: sent to school at 4 years old, already reading several years above grade level.  But didn't learn to tie my shoes until 8th grade--and by then, I was reading on a college level. Very limited abilities in math.  Bored, alienated, bored again, distracted, disruptive, and did I mentioned bored?  Classrooms and I don't fit together well. So I'm fairly self-educated (if not an actual autodidact).  All of it added up to keep me from ever going to college.

Got the nudge to at least try to get a degree some years ago--maybe c.2004?--after the SF Public Library ran an exhibition of Medieval manuscript "leaves" - pages that had been cut from the original manuscripts and sold to people who collected them, the way kids used to collect baseball cards.  I know:  eek, cringe, eek!  A lot of old books, especially the illuminated manuscripts, got chopped up and sold off piecemeal over the years. (For an example of a book that got carved up, and is now all in one place and due for restoration, go to www.themorgan.org and look for info on their exhibit on the Book of Hours of Catherine of Cleves.)  Anyways, I was down in the library basement, looking at the orphaned pages, and got to thinking:  You like this sort of thing; why don't you have a college degree?  San Francisco has been overrun by a horde of fuckwits who have degrees in things like 'marketing' and 'communication' and they can't even describe what it is they studied or do with their degrees.  How come they got to go to college and you didn't?  And you're not getting any younger, are you?

The upshot: I'm now at City College of San Francisco, and am nail-bitingly close to being ready to apply to a four-year school.  The fly in the ointment being, as ever, the math requirements.  Apparently, to go to a four-year school to study, say, archeology or folklore, you have to be able to do advanced math on the same level as a nuclear physicist.  Sheesh. 

Currently taking statistics--urk!--for the almighty math credit at CCSF, and am also taking a class at UC Berkeley in Modern Irish (the schools have a concurrent enrollment agreement for qualified students). I'll need to add a class or two to notch up enough credits to keep the concurrent enrollment deal going. 

But...thanks to the budget cuts and general economic chaos that's been unleashed on the state, the schools have been taking some hard hits, even as enrollment goes up.  Getting into a class at CCSF (or any other public college) these days has been like trying to get a seat on a lifeboat off the Titantic. So I might not be able to keep my Irish language class after all...

Likely major?  Celtic studies and/or archeology.  Medieval history is also high on the list. 

-- eaplatt

[quote name='deannamarieu2 wrote:

PiChU']*raises hand*

Here!

think positive- not everyone is racist!! :)

I'm positive of course, but might be going to London instead (For the way things are going in the US) a friend invited me to go with him, I'll miss the sun tho hehehe.