Achtung Baby versus Zooropa

zooroper2010

• Subscriber

I actually love both of these albums. I don't really tend to analyze the content so much to determine which is more challenging and why. That tends to take away the enjoyment for me. I do think, though, that Zooropa was the next logical step after Achtung Baby for their music.

You are not alone in feeling that you don't have to focus on the lyrical content.  If it were all about the lyrics, Bono could have just written lyrics and published it in a book.  On the other hand, I was an English major, and I see Bono as a genuine poet, approaching the levels of such people as Leonard Cohen.  On the other hand, Leonard Cohen's (by far) strongest suit is his lyrics, which would imply that just focusing on the music of U2 would not be the same thing as just focusing on the music of Leonard Cohen.

• Subscriber

i always saw these albums as one next to another, like how they should be listened to. achtung is part one, the pain, the break up, the dark times. the album's theme if there is one, is mainly break up. edge going through his divorce, but at the same time the band were having babies. there was babies coming in from band members and their crew, thats how the title came about. also interestingly ultraviolet, the baby baby baby line is from bono's thought popping into his head about the births around him at the time, he started singing those words. from the sessions that almost broke up the band, you can feel the sometimes not togetherness of the group and bono's lyrics seem to be his darkest yet on the album.

zooropa is the light part. the togetherness of a confused europe, the whole dreamland of the cyber-punk. its like u2 fed achtung baby lsd and took it for a ride. yes there are some throw-away lyrics on the album like some days are better than others, but that doesnt take away from the quality of the album as a whole i think zooropa is the most well thought out album considering it was only recorded in a few weeks. and it contains one of my favorite u2 songs, with stay!

i dont think we will ever see this from u2 again, they tried it again with behind and bomb, but that didnt work for me, this is u2's peak period for me, the whole achtung-zootv-zooropa experiance, well WATCH MORE TV