The countdown-thread

• Subscriber

can you believe, 2 more weeks till the fall-break at schools?? and as if time isnt goin fast enough, stores are already selling the candy for sinterklaas, a holiday thats celebrated on december 6th over here... was a lot to do bout it on tv, its a childerens holiday, like easter. sinter klaas is a catholic saint who brings present to kids on his b-day: dec 6th. so kids got quite confused seeing all the cookies, chocolate and candy in the store already and parents have a hard time explaining how the candy is already these but still 10 more weeks till the actual day....297.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Our schools don't have a fall break until end of Nov. (Thanksgiving), but stores have been overflowing with Halloween candy for months already. I haven't been out to any stores (no car, grrrrrr!!!!), but I wouldn't be surprised if fake Christmas trees and ornaments weren't already arriving, lol!!! I swear it's earlier every year!!!

• Subscriber

Our schools don't have a fall break until end of Nov. (Thanksgiving), but stores have been overflowing with Halloween candy for months already. I haven't been out to any stores (no car, grrrrrr!!!!), but I wouldn't be surprised if fake Christmas trees and ornaments weren't already arriving, lol!!! I swear it's earlier every year!!!

our fall-break is always the week of nov 1st, cause catholic church has the all saints, all souls-memorial on the 1st and 2nd of this month. our break is also called all-saints-vacation.

• Subscriber

We don't have a single religious holiday in the U.S. anymore, well nothing associated with the Catholic saints anyway. But even Christmas and Easter breaks are now to be called winter and spring break, lol - a couple years ago, the Principal of our school actually corrected me when I said Christmas break and told me to refer to it as winter!

• Subscriber

December 6th...... St. Nicklaus Day, according to my mom, who grew up in N. Germany... we celebrated every year with a shoe in the window, which would be filled with goodies by St. Nicklaus. Lots of happy memories around that holiday.. it was special to me, because ours was the only family I knew that celebrated it.

I carried it on with our kids too.......

• Subscriber

I used to love celebrating Sinta Klaas when I lived in Holland. So much fun with the chocolate letters and we used to write poems to each other. And those little tiny biscuits - the ginger one.

• Subscriber

i don call them with their religious names either, but it seems i'm the only one. people sometimes forget not everyone is catholic over here.

and the shoe was originally placed in front of the chimney, nikki, cause sinterklaas his servant zwarte piet (= black pete) had to climb down the chimney to fill the shoe with candy and little toys. but kids had to put a sugar-cube or a carrot in it for the horse in return. the legend of sinterklaas riding the roofs on his horse was influenced by the germanic god wodan, god of thunder... who people believed was riding his horse in the sky and therefor causing thunder.
the way all those old religions are mingled into these holidays i find really fascinating. same thing with x-mas , easter and many others.
  • Subscriber

Barbara does your Sinta Klaas and Black sail on a ship from Spain like the Dutch one does? And if the kids are naughty Black Pete will put them in his sack and take them away for the whole year and bring them back when they become nice again?

• Subscriber

yep, zhiv! we have the same one as in holland. sack and everything. each year sinterklaas arrives at the antwerp harbor with his ship, kids follow this arival on tv and the lucky ones are at the location.

my aunt lives in mallorca and her house is on a mountain looking down at the bay. at nite you could see all the lights reflected in the water and she told me it was sinterklaas' factory down there and the place where his boat was stored during summer...

but funny thing is the kids in spain don know bout these stories, they're more into x-mas and santaclaus.
  • Subscriber
Katie's Halloween Vegas trip : 10 days (KatiemL)
Zhivvy going to Dublin again: 11 days (maybe more luck this time round on finding some men!!!)
Larry's birthday: 18 days
Weezer in LA: 44 days (Jbarnych)
Katie's birthday : 55 days (KatiemL)
Christmas : 74 days (just to scare us all for getting it all ready in time!)
Denver Indian Market : 102 days (KatiemL)
Barbara coming to England again!: 179 days**
Barbara and Zhivvy gonig to Dublin: 181 days - watch out Bono - we'll find you!*
Territory Days : 221 days (KatiemL)
Denver: 220 days (Jbarnych) - less than 300 days til the NA Tour!!!
Salt Lake City show: 233 days (Jbarnych)
Seattle: 234 days (Nikki1120)
Anaheim 1: 247 days (Jbarnych, Janette B, Collectoraholic)
Anaheim 2 248 days (Jbarnych, Collectoraholic, Nikki1120)
Montreal 2: 269 days (Collectoraholic)
New York: 280 days (Bev France)
Minneapolis: 283 days (Collectoraholic, Bev France) => dropping under 300 !!!
Katie's dream trip to Dublin : 329 days (KatiemL)