A message for Paul McGuiness.

kings

• Subscriber

Paul you have over the years been a great manager for U2, but the last year or so you have either not done your job well or you have not being allowed to do your job well. Here are some of the things that have failed U2 since the release of NLOTH.

1. The Beach Tapes-Sloppy.

2. Delaying the release of NLOTH until after Christmas 08-Sales disaster.

3. Staggered worldwide release dates of NLOTH - At least the Aussies got something first!

4. Leaking the Album on the internet - Dumb Arse.

5. First Single- Boots. Plain stupid should have been Magnificant

6. Pinched the artwork for Boots CD Single- you know the sitting on the lounge BS.

7. Leaked out the wrong version of Boots Video - the Gettys images one.

8. Stopped releasing proper Singles in CD format. We would have bought them all!

9. The cover of NLOTH was boring as bat shit. You need IMPACT!

10. Stop crying over illegal internet downloading. Your own bloody Record Company leaked NLOTH  FFS.

11. You treat U2 fans outside of the US and Europe with no respect by not making a statement about tour dates.

That's enough for now big fellow. These events over the last 12 months or so have not served U2 well. Someone needs to get U2's shit together and you are paid a bunch of money to do that. If you have lost your power within the discision making process may I suggest you get it back ASAP or walk away.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The leaked album on the net wasn't Paul's fault, that was Universal Australia's fault.

The Beach Tapes were sloppy? Some random fan recorded bootleg bothers you?

Nobody buys singles anymore. Well old people and music snobs do, but really the general public doesn't.

Paul doesn't control what gets leaked out.

The band controls the photos that do come out, and they choose the cover image. Not Paul.

• Subscriber

[quote name=Panth]

The band controls the photos that do come out, and they choose the cover image. Not Paul.That was the worst choice they could possibly made, NLOTH cover is the worst cover I ever seen, it is just dull, it doesn't pop out in your eye, it has no personality, it doesn't have the name of the band or of the album on it.

I wonder what the f**k was in their heads when they choosed that image, especially considering that it was used before by another artist as an album cover????

If someone who isn't very familiar with U2 releases wants to buy their latest CD, I bet he/she will have hard time to locate NLOTH on the record store displays because of that insipid album cover. 

[quote name='bacadorina wrote:

Panth
']

The band controls the photos that do come out, and they choose the cover image. Not Paul.

That was the worst choice they could possibly made, NLOTH cover is the worst cover I ever seen, it is just dull, it doesn't pop out in your eye, it has no personality, it doesn't have the name of the band or of the album on it.

I wonder what the f**k was in their heads when they choosed that image, especially considering that it was used before by another artist as an album cover????

If someone who isn't very familiar with U2 releases wants to buy their latest CD, I bet he/she will have hard time to locate NLOTH on the record store displays because of that insipid album cover. 

btw, the album cover was done by a famous Japanese photographer, who's good friends with Bono. As far as someone else using it as a cover first, you got your facts wrong. That artist was threatening to sue U2 for 'stealing' that cover, where in fact, he stole it from them. Proof: the photographer gave the original photo to Bono as a gift.

• Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

bacadorina
wrote:

Panth
']

That was the worst choice they could possibly made, NLOTH cover is the worst cover I ever seen, it is just dull, it doesn't pop out in your eye, it has no personality, it doesn't have the name of the band or of the album on it.

btw, the album cover was done by a famous Japanese photographer, who's good friends with Bono. As far as someone else using it as a cover first, you got your facts wrong. That artist was threatening to sue U2 for 'stealing' that cover, where in fact, he stole it from them. Proof: the photographer gave the original photo to Bono as a gift.

Before you post something around here, why don't you do some research? Take a look at this article (http://www.webcitation.org/5kjDlsK3u) and see which band used that image first, in the end it doesn't really matter if that band "stoled" the photo or not. It's a crap album cover and U2 weren't inspired by choosing it, they even did the mistake to have the same picture as a no name band. That is really a "big marketing ideea"!!!!!!!!!!

• Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

bacadorina wrote:

Panth
']

who cares about an album cover?? One thing that counts.......the music on it!

for fuck sake! people are actually getting angry and pissed off (because it sure sounded angry) about a fucking album cover now?! what the hell. who the hell cares. get a life. "insipid".. wow.

also... as far as the album cover does go, its very fitting for the album. its "pure" and "raw", and "honest".. and has a clarity to it (like the album).. and its simple appearance has more symbolism in a sense to it that goes with the album, than say something thats in your face "pops out at your eyes" overdone design. sometimes, simplicity says more.

people getting all worked up over album covers is REALLY getting old and stupid. every single u2 album that comes out.. theres people who bitch about the cover and will judge and decide if they are gonna like the album or not by the cover. they can kiss my molded ass.

and yes, the album cover "theft" theory has already been clarified and cleared up.

The album cover was great!

And it's not that hard to find where all the artists beginning with U are located. And with U2 they're always singled out... so it's not a problem.

Exactly. Its a "duh" kind of a thing, indeed. and yes, U2 stuff is usually pretty singled out and put to the front. And besides, theres not many other "U" bands, unless obscure, that are usually to be found in mainstream music stores. so yeah. 

(and for a bit of sarcasm and humor... and truth)
But.. you gotta take into consideration that... as shown as alarming evidence by some so-called u2 "fans", the stupidity and lack of logic runs very high, so they mught indeed have a problem finding the letter "U" in the alphabetical section or "U2" at all. ha.

• Subscriber

[quote name='sonicfungus98 wrote:

Kristaps
']The album cover was great!

And it's not that hard to find where all the artists beginning with U are located. And with U2 they're always singled out... so it's not a problem.

Exactly. Its a "duh" kind of a thing, indeed. and yes, U2 stuff is usually pretty singled out and put to the front. And besides, theres not many other "U" bands, unless obscure, that are usually to be found in mainstream music stores. so yeah. 

(and for a bit of sarcasm and humor... and truth)
But.. you gotta take into consideration that... as shown as alarming evidence by some so-called u2 "fans", the stupidity and lack of logic runs very high, so they mught indeed have a problem finding the letter "U" in the alphabetical section or "U2" at all. ha.

You've missed the point, I'm not angry or pissed off about the album cover, I simply said that I consider it dull & insipid and for that reason I think it didn't help to promote the album itself.

You have an opposite oppinion and that's ok with me, I'm not looking for general acceptance but everyone (myself included) is entitled to have his personal idea about an argument.

You, me and the other hardcore fans, we all knew how NLOTH cover album looked like before it was released or shortly after, but someone who's not a U2 fan and who doesn't have the time or the reason to search at "U" section of an CD store, might not notice that album. And I guess U2's management is expecting to enlarge band's fan base, to "conquer" new and younger fans, that's why I said that NLOTH album cover didn't "pop out into the buyer's face".

Of course in the end what matters is the music on the CD, not the design or the picture on the album cover, but in a larger or smaller scale it did counts if it has visual impact on the buyers eye.