What I do/don't want for the next album...

eaplatt

So, if Songs of Ascent evermanages to gnaw its way out of whatever cage U2 have put it in, andescapes and gets into the shops, here's what I'd like to see/hear:

-->CD:  No more overpriced, multiple editions of the album. Too manychoices just turn people off--especially when they're way overpricedfor what's included beyond the disc itself.  NLOTH was a classicexample of of this; all but the most dedicated U2 fans probably justwalked away with nothing, rather than have to decipher all thedifferent versions of the album.  Conversely, serious collectors alsodislike the "deluxe" and not-really-that-limited editions that getcranked out. Keep it simple:  All on one CD, or don't do it.  Andkeep the price realistic; no one is going to pay $50 (or more!) for anew CD, not when we all know that you can buy a whole stack of CD-Rs atthe drugstore for under $20.  Overpriced CDs don't speak of rarity orexclusivity--it screams "Greedy bastards!!" 

--> Vinyl: Yes.  Vinyl is always good.  Since the vinyl side of music retailing issuch a small niche now, even the big-brained geniuses of the musicindustry haven't found a way to screw things up.  Yet.

-->Singles:  Everyone says singles are dead, so a big "yes" to singles. With one proviso:  The first single (assuming there will be one?)shouldn't be something that tries to be all dance-y.  "Boots" shouldhave killed that off by now. Time to re-think what makes a good leadsingle. Which leads us to...

--> B-sides:  No moredisco-fried remixes; I'm not opposed to remixes and alternativeversions of songs, so long as they're done right.  Just having somename-brand DJ/producer of the minute paste a synth beat on top of a newU2 song is pretty lame. Better choices would be new songs (and demoversions are sweet as pie, OK?) or some live archival material, so longas it doesn't come from concerts that have already been releasedelsewhere, or that Boston/Paradise/1981 show that's been endlesslyparcelled out over the years. 

--> Multi-media stuff:  Ifyou want to include a video with, say, a CD single, then put thef@ing video on the disc itself.  Don't just provide some sort ofa link on the disc that will hook us up with a video online.  Why?   Because (a) computer links die off faster than software/playbackformats, and (B) any video will on YouTube and the internet long beforethe singles make it into the shops.

--> Hype:  If U2 aresmart, this time, they'll turn it down.  NLOTH was a victim ofoverhyping:  opening the Grammy's, hijacking the BBC for a week, etc.,seems to have been more of a turn-off than a good marketing strategy. On a related note:

--> Celebrity ass-kissing:  Stop that. 

--> Fans:  It would be nice for U2 to remember that they actually still have some, y'know, fans.  And that some of us have been fans since even before...oh, 2004, maybe? 

U2 need to cut the crap, mend some fences, and reconnect with their fan base.

--eaplatt

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WANT:

Return to the good ol' days of Boy, October & War (Rock 'n' Raw)...remember songs like Surrender, Electric Co. and Tomorrow?

Songs for the 'Claw': Your Blue Room, In A Little While and Stuck In A Moment are not ideal for this gigantic production....songs like God II, Mofo, Bullet the Blue Sky and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me are more fitting.

Steve Lillywhite as the main producer and incorporate some of Rick Rubin's sessions....is George Martin still in the biz?

More experimental stuff (NLOTH, imo, was good, but it looks like they had better material that was left out of the album....Kingdom is a good example....hey, Radiohead can do it, so can U2...FEZ - Being Born, Mofo, Indian Summer Sky are other good examples.

Bono, stop collaborating/hanging out with these hip-hop/rap performers....it seems like he's starting to get influenced by them more...in his taste of music, and lyrics.

The old Adam Clayton...New Year's Day, Surrender (live), Seconds, Wire, Gloria (listen to his bass lines)...his playing style was more diverse back then, now, he does the minimalistic approach.

Singles...not the remix type, but extra song material....that's what made singles fun to buy!

Release a double album, if they're having a hard time filtering out their new material for their next CD.

A CD for the U2 fans!....not the radio or general public....chart ratings aren't what they used to be.

HERE'S AN IDEA, before releasing a single (off the new album) for radio play, let the U2 fans choose which single to release first (by letting us preview each new track)....Magnificent should have been it.

DON'T WANT:

Any songs that resemble Babyface, Stuck In A Moment, Cedars of Lebanon and In A Little While.

Bono, no rap please!

No more 'catchy-jingle type' songs....eg. Beautiful Day (sounds like Jessie's Girl), Vertigo & Boots (should have been an Austin Powers soundtrack, if released earlier).

Eno/Lanois team....need to get away from them for a bit.

But then again, all U2 albums take time to grow on me...it's better that way, it makes me want to listen to them more....to dissect their songs. A lot of the 'hit' albums/singles, out there, end up being 'flavor of the month', and the artists/bands that go along with it, become has beens in a couple of years....where's James Blunt?

• Subscriber

hi bflorendo! i get what you're saying here (and i understand eaplatt too) but if you want more experimental stuff instead of the 'catchy jingles' i wonder why you don want another cedars ? i still see it as a chance to see a different side of U2 and bono's voice... the song jumps out of the album for being so different...its what wake up dead man was for pop, love is blindness was for achtung baby,in a little while to ATYCLB, and ditry day for zooropa...these are ofcourse just the ones who did it for me...while other fans hated them, they charmed me by being a little odd ...

but i agree on the rap stuff, don like them mixed with u2 either, i'm all for a double album (!!) and the album for fans, cause they will never please the gaga/akon/spears fans without betraying their own fans!

for the sound/engineering/producing thing, i'll take your word for it...cause havent got the slidest idea bout it, i just judge on my liking what i hear . and i should say i like what i hear from u2 in general, and even if i dont like every song equally i don think its a problem cause on each album i find the pearls that make me proud of this band...

and for the 'letting the fans chose the first release', nice idea but it could start some serious wars here toowink.gif

• Subscriber
HERE'S AN IDEA, before releasing a single (off the new album) for radio play, let the U2 fans choose which single to release first (by letting us preview each new track)....Magnificent should have been it.

Loving this idea. Bon Jovi did this. Back when Slippery When Wet album was being made, the band invited fans in to listen to the recorded tracks and essentially they picked the songs for the album and I believe the singles. Neat idea but Bon Jovi wasn't all that big of band when they did it so obviously U2 couldn't go about doing it exactly the way they did it but, they could let us preview the tracks here and review the feedback from the fans. Interesting idea.

I want U2 to make the album they want to make, not what the fans want them to make.

I want U2 to release it in whatever format they feel like.

Hype! MTV and VH1 and real radio no longer exist. Hype it. How else will they sell it without hype?

Fans? What fans? The ones who complain and whine when U2 doesn't release achtung/joshuatree/UF/Boy part 2? Ignore em U2! Please! that's what the rest of us do, we ignore old fuddy duddies who just gripe and complain all the time.

Media? One phrase: iTunes LP. Get on that.

Don't want to give us pop or zooropa? That's fine, SOME of us are just happy you still make music and recognize that you are rich and could retire whenever you want. So don't listen to your older fans. They're old, theres a reason the rest of us ignore the old.

Okay now let's see who gets the sentences that are real and the ones that are sarcastic, and the ones who don't.

OMG, what qualifies as "old?" haha I have a sinking feeling you mean me (37)

YET I would say ageism is simply that, and that those of us who appreciate the art of U2 are of all ages. Ageism runs both ways. The "old" can judge the young but so too can youth misjudge us "fuddy duddies."

Please say I'm not a fuddy duddy just yet!

I am listening to my copy of Art if icial Horizon for the first time right now and I love it. Danced my way through it and know it will be one of my road trip discs from now until forever.

There have been albums that I needed time to warm up to and others that I jumped in with both feet loving. So it goes. But U2 have done their own thing for a long time and I trust they always will.

• Subscriber

YET I would say ageism is simply that, and that those of us who appreciate the art of U2 are of all ages. Ageism runs both ways. The "old" can judge the young but so too can youth misjudge us "fuddy duddies."

I am listening to my copy of Art if icial Horizon for the first time right now and I love it. Danced my way through it and know it will be one of my road trip discs from now until forever.

There have been albums that I needed time to warm up to and others that I jumped in with both feet loving. So it goes. But U2 have done their own thing for a long time and I trust they always will.

LOL... great post Scout.

I think (I hope) when the word old is used in conjunction with fan it means how many years you've been a fan and not your actual age. At 37, I would hope no one would consider you a fuddy duddy.

Now, at my age... *shudders*

Nevermind. tongue.gif

Btw... good to hear you loved Artificial Horizon.  Still waiting for my copy. Judging by what you said, I'm thinking it might make an excellent work out CD. 

• Subscriber

hey! you're same age as me! and i do so hope panth doesnt consider me 'old' or 'fuddy duddy' or he'll be in big trouble

mad.gif

50, but I blame that on where I work and the town I live in.  But really age is a state of mind, you can be physically older and still feel young.  I'm just saying.

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

scout6']OMG, what qualifies as "old?" haha I have a sinking feeling you mean me (37)

hey! you're same age as me! and i do so hope panth doesnt consider me 'old' or 'fuddy duddy' or he'll be in big trouble

mad.gif

nahhhhhh.