What I do/don't want for the next album...

eaplatt

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

Panth wrote:

bflorendo']...and that's why, I would prefer the Lillywhite effect for the next album.

Disagree.

bomb was a let down............................

Disagree in that I liked the album, agree in that it didn't have the lasting power that NO Line has.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='mick james wrote:

ceallach67']

Brilliant post, Mick.

You had me at this:

Ahhh, such is the subjective nature of Art.

And closed the deal with this:

I want U2 to not pander to any one of us and make the peice of art that they so see fit.

Exactly!

I want an album from U2 full of music that moves them. Not an album full of things that they think will please an audience or heaven forbid, the singles charts.

Happy St Patricks Day Kel! And I must say, lovely green text to mark the occasion.happy.gif

I love that even though you weren't big on NLOTH, that you're still waay happier if the band heads to the studio and does what all great bands should do - write music together based on their passion for it, with complete disregard for whether the results will rock a stadium or sell singles.

That is what being a fan of music in general is all about.

I just hope they don't wuss out like they did after getting a mixed feeling on Pop.

ATYCLB did have some brilliant tunes on it, but I'll always remember being disappointed that this band that had always just done their thing, and were really amazingly experimental band - considering how big they were, were chickened into playing it safe for the masses.

Of course it kept them huge for the 2000s, and the tours were great, but in a weird way I'd be just as happy if they'd kept going that experimental path, and ended up playing in the local pub!

Still love them though, and at the end of the day it's only rock and roll.

Have a few Pints of black for me!

I'll be  heading down to the pub with some mates very shortly.

Cheers!

Thanks Mick.  You know I take my music loving seriously. :P  I am a firm believer in the creative process. I just want something that's from the artists' heart and soul.  If it ends up that don't like it, that's on me.

I know this will likely be an unpopular opinion but as it goes with ATYCLB, I thought that it was taking a risk of sorts. What I mean is by that is this; releasing a stripped down album of songs that just showcase the music and songwriting only is bold to me.  And I love the album for it's honesty and it's obviously personal lyrics and mood. I thought it was a nice change from Pop. I do love the experimental stuff but I don't see No line as all that experimental, truly. It is different from the previous two albums without a doubt.  I'm looking forward to Songs of Ascent and hoping they are still planning on releasing it.  Really want to hear those other tracks. 

Had a great St. Patty's Day. Had my Guinness.  Just one though.  The evening was filled with good Irish food served right in the comfort of my own home with my family and we watched Boondock Saints-All Saints Day later in the evening.  It was a nice, quiet celebration.  Hope you had a great one!

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

Panth wrote:

bflorendo']...and that's why, I would prefer the Lillywhite effect for the next album.

Disagree.

bomb was a let down............................

with hind sight 'how to dismantle an atomic bomb' is a classic album, some really big and great songs.  'no line on the horizon' wiped me out on the first few listenings and i'm a little 'tired' of it at the moment, but what i didn't like about it was (to me anyway) a hybrid passengers/u2 outing with way too much input from eno/lanois.  i think they influenced the album too much, that said some of the songs like breath, boots and moment of surrender are totally amazing 'live'.

...i look forward to any new material and hope we dont have a long wait and that the material isn't over produced again

im happy with anything u2 does. u2 never puts out shit.. and always surprise me... and surprise themselves.

only thing i can think of is, after hearing all of this about bono being dissapointed in NLOTH's "failure" to be some hit smash in the mainstream charts (NLOTH is their most raw and honest and deepest and purest albums to date, and beautiful and so what if it went over some idiot people's heads and wasnt the next lady gaga. NLOTH is damn awesome. also, it isnt the albums fault it didnt beat out GaGa or Taylor Swift. its media today and the death of music appreciation as we know it... MTV and Vh1 are dead... and idiot ass kids are just more into Jersey fucking Shore and "for the Love of Ray J" and "celebrty rehab" on MTV than actually fucking music... and radio as we know it is dead. so.. NLOTH didnt do anything wrong. its too damn good for that shit;. )... i want this new album to be one that the band enjoys themselves, enjoys making (like NLOTH).. and doesnt try hard to strive for some top 10 radio friendly hit thing, but instead just does it for themselves and has a great time with it and that'll show. stay true to themselves.

oh, and i dont want any Green Day duets. lmao.