riding the waves of life

mummy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this thread is hard to find. What you reckon?

My thoughts on 40, when I relate it to this thread is....

How long for users to find this thread.... how long, how long, how long.... how long, to find this thread.

• Subscriber
This is a thread that has a period for a title. Not many threads start with periods and some don't even end with one.  It doesn't matter though, because this thread isn't about periods.  It's about something a little more interesting.  I want to play a game.  It's a simple game.  Here is how it goes:

1. I will pick a song.

2. You provide a one sentence description of what the song means to you.

3. Do not write more than one sentence.

4. Hijacking is allowed - because it's likely each person's meaning is going to be different.

5. Enjoy yourself.

The Song:  "40"

I have this picture it my head about how the song makes me feel, but since I'm not good woth words, and since I can't draw, and I can't express how the songs makes me feel, I have to ponder for a while until I find out the way to put the momentum into words.

[quote name='Kristaps wrote:

mummy']This is a thread that has a period for a title. Not many threads start with periods and some don't even end with one.  It doesn't matter though, because this thread isn't about periods.  It's about something a little more interesting.  I want to play a game.  It's a simple game.  Here is how it goes:

1. I will pick a song.

2. You provide a one sentence description of what the song means to you.

3. Do not write more than one sentence.

4. Hijacking is allowed - because it's likely each person's meaning is going to be different.

5. Enjoy yourself.

The Song: 
"40"

I have this picture it my head about how the song makes me feel, but since I'm not good woth words, and since I can't draw, and I can't express how the songs makes me feel, I have to ponder for a while until I find out the way to put the momentum into words.

Kristaps, will you do me something small?  Will you read what you just wrote. Read it now and think about how you described how you can't put into words how you feel.  Do that before you read what I say next.....

You quite vividly described how you can't put into words how you feel. In other words, you described perfectly well, and quite graphically, you're own personal view and feelings towards your own writing ability. 

Can you write how you feel?  Of course you can!  You just don't give yourself credit.  Believe in yourself and you can do anything, my friend.

The easiest way to start describing how you feel, is just write down the adjectives - all of em - then formulate them into a sentence afterwards. Here's an example:

love, hope, longing, reverence, faith, wonder

Now, those are just words I think of when I think of "40". If I put them into a sentence, it might be something like this:

The song conveys love and hope, a sense of longing, a sure sign of reverence, with faith and wonder to the future.

40: the end of some magnificent concerts that touches me and makes my eyes wet everytime i hear it (showed my love the chapture of psalm it is bassed upon and he was impressed!)
Top marks for finding it.  Like you, I think the song, although being very short in length, is extremely powerful.  It's extremely motivational.  I think it's the most powerful song on the War album and a very fitting way to end an album with a theme of war.

• Subscriber

Certainly has withstood the test of time better, imho than most songs on War (also SBS) and really establishes the U2 tradition of a conversation with God as the last song on their albums.