Quitting Smoking Support Thread:Lets carry eachother here

xtraspicy62

• Subscriber
Visited Disneyland a week ago(what do you call that thing that spins, across Captain EO??)in Tomorrow land and they have an exhibit about the future and current technology/home decor etc...and they have a place where you sit down and it takes (scans)a picture of you and what you'll look like years from now(in old age)It's kinda creepy, I refused to see what I'm gonna look like. It will scar me...lol....and it has a smoking box to check. To see what happens to your face IF you smoke. As in weight gain as well. According to this exhibit smoking increases wrinkles, sags your face and definitely ages you more. So..that's a good incentive to quit! To stay pretty.
I know that exhibit . . . kinda scary anticipating the picture, but then not too bad really once I looked at the photo (I looked at it with only one eye open, lol). 

I've never smoked, never even been tempted to. My mom smoked, so did my aunt, as did my father and mother in law . . . . . watching what it did to them, I don't ever want to experience that or to have my children experience it. I'm just here to offer my support to all of you. I think that you are all fantastic for trying to quit. I cannot begin to tell you how to do it, I have no idea, but I will say BRAVO to you for doing it!!!!! Everyone I know who once smoked and quit said it was the hardest thing they ever did, but they all say it is the best thing they ever did. Take it one day (or one hour) at a time and HOORAY FOR YOU!!!!!!!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

[quote name='Shannon387 wrote:

ceallach67']Hey Spicy!  You must be sure that you truly want to quit.  But cold turkey isn't always the best way to go.  There will be withdrawl symptoms that may be hard to get through and may only lead you back to smoking.  Just a little something about the dangers of going cold turkey: my father was a 3 pack a day smoker for 30 years.  He stopped cold turkey and suffered a massive heart attack 2 weeks after. He was told that his heart attack was brought on by the extreme measures of going cold turkey.

I am on the smoking cessation pill, Chantix. For the first week you smoke as you regularly do while you are taking the pill(s).  You have to pick a stop smoking date which is a week from your start date (your first week on the medicine).  That day was today for me.  I'm done smoking and I have three more packs of pills plus the maintenance packs which also have 3 refills.  I'm doing well on this.  The Chantix is a drug that removes the nicotine craving. Should you slip up and smoke, you just continue to take the medicine and eventually you'll beat it. Should I screw up, my absolute no smoking anymore date is 4/25 which is my son's birthday.  I haven't told him yet, but I plan on it being one of his bday presents.

Many of my friends have successfully quit and stayed quit from using Chantix.

I've heard you can get really wicked dreams on Chantix. I've heard it's successful but has interesting side effects on your mental state. That's good it works for you. I wish you all the best with it. I'm too chicken to try it. laugh.gif

Me, I need to quit smoking. Actually I try every year but so far it hasn't taken yet. For me it's purely psychological. I can get over the actual nicotine  craving just fine in about a week or two but the psychological part is a real bitch. I haven't been able to make it past one month. tongue.gifohwell.gif

I know lots of people who quit using this (it's called "Champix" out here).  Even my mum, of whom we all thought she'd never be able to quit, is now completely smoke-free !

As for all the ones I know who have used it, I know of only 1 woman having problems ... she had a somewhat elevated heartbeat and difficulties sleeping ...

But as said before, the best way to quit is only pure willpower ...

So to all the "quitters" ... GOOD LUCK & go for it !!!

• Subscriber

Hey what a great thread.  Really admire everyone's effort and willpower, I don't smoke myself but my best friend has tried to quit so many times, good on ya guyswink.gif

• Subscriber
Hey how are you doing, everyone whos trying to quit!

How its going for you? easy, hard, need support?

anyone successful?

got any tips?

I am using Champix and the cravings are coming less and less frequently. I'm sick of being a smokersick.gif and this is it!!!

Saturday is my quit date. Wish me luck.

Thanks Spicy!!! 

Hopefully we can keep this thread going for a bit.

[quote name='canada06 wrote:

xtraspicy62']Hey how are you doing, everyone whos trying to quit!

anyone successful?

got any tips?

I am using Champix and the cravings are coming less and less frequently. I'm sick of being a smokerbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

let us know how saturday goes for you!!! GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO!!!

• Subscriber

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:

canada06 wrote:

xtraspicy62']Hey how are you doing, everyone whos trying to quit!

anyone successful?

got any tips?

I am using Champix and the cravings are coming less and less frequently. I'm sick of being a smokerbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

let us know how saturday goes for you!!! GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO!!!

happy.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I am so ready to be a non-smoker

I'm quitting, but its not really hard, I only smoke at parties every once in a while, in a week, ok almost every weekend.

But my next ex boyfriend is the one who's havving a hard time, going for surgery cuz of some complication with his lungs, cause: you guessed it, smoking.

I quite smoking when I was pregnant and really didn't miss it. Had an extremely stressful day a couple of weeks after our son was born and the first thing I went for was the cigs. That's all it took and I was back to smoking. I wish I'd never started up again cause like I said, I really didn't miss it. It's not a nicotine addiction for me, it's a psychological addiction. I had no withdrawal symptoms other then gaining weight, that's inevitable because your metabolism slows down.

Now that I'm older I am starting to feel the effects of life long smoking, so best of luck to everyone!

Archived