Quitting Smoking Support Thread:Lets carry eachother here

xtraspicy62

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:

Fortitude']Well I think I was actually lucky I guess - my body simply rejected it. After smoking for 2 or 3 years, I took a puff one day, vomitted and I haven't been able to even stand the smell of cigarettes since.

I tend to look at it from an economic point of view. I mean, our Government here in Australia is about to increase the tax on ciggies so much that it will cost about $20 per packet. (They should just get it over with and ban smokes completely but I guess they enjoy the tax dollars too much). If the sheer cost of smoking (as well as the longer term costs you will incur through health problems, lost pay through time off work) isn't enough to get motivated, then I don't know what is really. Cancer perhaps?

If you are trying to give up - I wish you all the best - life without smoking is grand indeed.

wow, amazing how your own body knew to reject them. they are just full of toxins! My neighbor now has emphysema and coughs so hard she has to puke and spit, yet she still smokes...she cant stop, shes tried everything...what a nightmare for her...and she like so many thought it was harmless back when she was younger....shes in her 60's now...

working in the oncology&lungdisease-unit, i see those people all the time, spicy! throwing the O2 off to have a quick smoke....then back gasping to breath, quickly putting O2 back on! they cant quit, its sad : -(

and you are right tomaties are very healthy! so you can not have too many!!

• Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

Fortitude']Well I think I was actually lucky I guess - my body simply rejected it. After smoking for 2 or 3 years, I took a puff one day, vomitted and I haven't been able to even stand the smell of cigarettes since.

I tend to look at it from an economic point of view. I mean, our Government here in Australia is about to increase the tax on ciggies so much that it will cost about $20 per packet. (They should just get it over with and ban smokes completely but I guess they enjoy the tax dollars too much). If the sheer cost of smoking (as well as the longer term costs you will incur through health problems, lost pay through time off work) isn't enough to get motivated, then I don't know what is really. Cancer perhaps?

If you are trying to give up - I wish you all the best - life without smoking is grand indeed.

wow, amazing how your own body knew to reject them. they are just full of toxins! My neighbor now has emphysema and coughs so hard she has to puke and spit, yet she still smokes...she cant stop, shes tried everything...what a nightmare for her...and she like so many thought it was harmless back when she was younger....shes in her 60's now...

working in the oncology&lungdisease-unit, i see those people all the time, spicy! throwing the O2 off to have a quick smoke....then back gasping to breath, quickly putting O2 back on! they cant quit, its sad : -(

and you are right tomaties are very healthy! so you can not have too many!!That really is so sad, isn't it???!!!  My mom had thought that she could never quit until her sister died of cancer. Mom quit cold-turkey and has never looked back. My husband's dad and mom both quit over 30 years ago, also cold turkey. Unfortunately, emphezema (sp?) and lung cancer took their tolls anyway and his dad died a few years ago and his mom is not far from it. I'd love to see tobacco farms shut down and the cig. manufacturers put out of the business of legally addicting millions of people, but it isn't going to happen sadly, so do whatever it takes for you to fight the urge, go for it and win the battle!!!! Today you are one day closer to better health!!!

i quit 1.1.2010 cold turkey and havent gone back since. if you really want to you can, otherwise it doesnt make sense... i smoked since i was 16 to 31 with one 1 year break in between... i wanted to and even my last cigarette i only had 3 puffs cause mentally, i had already given up... YOU CAN DO IT FOLKS! :)
  • Subscriber
Hey how are you doing, everyone whos trying to quit!

How its going for you? easy, hard, need support?

anyone successful?

got any tips?

I smoked for + 20 yeas and thought I'd never be able to quit. until a good friend of mine, who'd tried to quit so many times ... eventually succeeded. I started reading Allen Car's book and I quit smoking immediately. Never looked back, it's been over 2 years now. you have absolutely NO idea how happy I am that I got rid of those cigarettes. I was actually scared to try and quit smoking because I feared I would fail. I can't believe I thought that :)

But remember ... YOU have to be convinced that you WANT to quit. once you're there, the rest is easy. really!! Perception is the key word. Realise that it is an addiciton and that your body does not want nicotine, but the nicotinemonster on your shoulder does. Tell it to shut up and go. 

to quit smoking doesn't hurt, a tooth-acke is a lot more painful. Be convinced that you are lucky to quit smoking and don't go around feeling sorry for yourself because you can't smoke anymore. wrong attitude. you don't WANT to smoke anymore. big difference.

know that physical addiction to nicotine only lasts for not even 2 weeks.

but you must also know that nicotine is one of the most addictive 'drugs' in the world. you can never smoke again, not even one cigarette.

there's a few things a smoker doesn't realise. how bad he smells. how bad his clothes and hair smells. how bad his hair  ... and everything smells. I was stunned to find out.

My skin has totally changed. I can run so much better (to the front row at a U2 show for instance :D). I can jump and dance so much longer (at a U2 concert, for instance :D). I can smell so much better!! And no, I didn't gain any weight. I ate carotes to keep my mouth busy in the evening.

good luck!! stay motivated. you can. you really can quit!! use whatever means or system you think will help you. A book to change your mind, pills to reduce your desire for nicotine ... but don't forget the power of your own mind. be convinced about what you want, and stay focussed. like a mantra. Jump around, I'm so happy I quit!!

• Subscriber
Day 3.... I don't smoke, don't even want to, hey now check my change.

Got through the weekend without one and now at work it will be even easier.

Champix is magic. Takes the edge off of quitting. Unlike cold turkey where you turn into a whole new person. And not a nice one either.

Wish me luck.

heeh!! yeah, I remember those first days. realllly bad temper. me and my husband quit the same day and 5 days later, bought a kitchen cabinet in Ikea and tried to put it together. now that is really brilliant timing. NOT!! LOL!

The good thing about doing it together is that you understand you're not trying to offend or hurt anyone, you're just letting go of some steam.

Keep going girl, you're doing fine.

• Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

Wow, Barbara, you've definitely seen what the bad side of smoking can be. That scenario you describe is sad.  I think one of the reasons I wanted to quit too was thinking of folks like that and not wanting to be like that.  But I can certainly understand the addiction.  Really tough.

Hey Spicy... my sister has blood clots in her lungs and she hacks and coughs like that while she continues to smoke.  It's really scary.

• Subscriber

[quote name='Janette B wrote:

barbara1
']

That really is so sad, isn't it???!!!  My mom had thought that she could never quit until her sister died of cancer. Mom quit cold-turkey and has never looked back. My husband's dad and mom both quit over 30 years ago, also cold turkey. Unfortunately, emphezema (sp?) and lung cancer took their tolls anyway and his dad died a few years ago and his mom is not far from it. I'd love to see tobacco farms shut down and the cig. manufacturers put out of the business of legally addicting millions of people, but it isn't going to happen sadly, so do whatever it takes for you to fight the urge, go for it and win the battle!!!! Today you are one day closer to better health!!!

sometimes losing a dear one cause of cancer helps people to see the danger they put themselves in... sometimes it doesnt!

one of the girls from the cleaning service in our hospital lost both her mum and dad (in 1 year time, both under 60 years of age) to lungcancer... but she still smokes, up to 1 package a day.

my oldest son smokes too, and just says; you have to die of something in the end.... i told him this is not the way you wanna die, cause this means suffering for years... not been able to play with grandkids, take a walk to the pub, or walk your dog, ride a bike,... and so on. who wants to miss out on all this for that stupid, stinking cigarette?! 

• Subscriber

Keep nagging him, Barbara! How old is he? Is he still in that age-range where they really don't think anything bad will ever happen to them? Hard to get through to them sometimes, isn't it??!!

Archived