Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xtraspicy62

Quitting Smoking Support Thread:Lets carry eachother here

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

Fortitude']Well I think I was actually lucky I guess - my body simply rejected it. After smoking for 2 or 3 years, I took a puff one day, vomitted and I haven't been able to even stand the smell of cigarettes since.

I tend to look at it from an economic point of view. I mean, our Government here in Australia is about to increase the tax on ciggies so much that it will cost about $20 per packet. (They should just get it over with and ban smokes completely but I guess they enjoy the tax dollars too much). If the sheer cost of smoking (as well as the longer term costs you will incur through health problems, lost pay through time off work) isn't enough to get motivated, then I don't know what is really. Cancer perhaps?

If you are trying to give up - I wish you all the best - life without smoking is grand indeed.

wow, amazing how your own body knew to reject them. they are just full of toxins! My neighbor now has emphysema and coughs so hard she has to puke and spit, yet she still smokes...she cant stop, shes tried everything...what a nightmare for her...and she like so many thought it was harmless back when she was younger....shes in her 60's now...

working in the oncology&lungdisease-unit, i see those people all the time, spicy! throwing the O2 off to have a quick smoke....then back gasping to breath, quickly putting O2 back on! they cant quit, its sad : -(

and you are right tomaties are very healthy! so you can not have too many!!

Wow, Barbara, you've definitely seen what the bad side of smoking can be. That scenario you describe is sad.  I think one of the reasons I wanted to quit too was thinking of folks like that and not wanting to be like that.  But I can certainly understand the addiction.  Really tough.

Hey Spicy... my sister has blood clots in her lungs and she hacks and coughs like that while she continues to smoke.  It's really scary.

My grandfather died of emphysema last year and my Dad also has it too (his lungs only operate at about 35 per cent capacity on a good day). 

It's bloody awful. 

[quote name='Fortitude wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

Fortitude']Well I think I was actually lucky I guess - my body simply rejected it. After smoking for 2 or 3 years, I took a puff one day, vomitted and I haven't been able to even stand the smell of cigarettes since.

I tend to look at it from an economic point of view. I mean, our Government here in Australia is about to increase the tax on ciggies so much that it will cost about $20 per packet. (They should just get it over with and ban smokes completely but I guess they enjoy the tax dollars too much). If the sheer cost of smoking (as well as the longer term costs you will incur through health problems, lost pay through time off work) isn't enough to get motivated, then I don't know what is really. Cancer perhaps?

If you are trying to give up - I wish you all the best - life without smoking is grand indeed.

wow, amazing how your own body knew to reject them. they are just full of toxins! My neighbor now has emphysema and coughs so hard she has to puke and spit, yet she still smokes...she cant stop, shes tried everything...what a nightmare for her...and she like so many thought it was harmless back when she was younger....shes in her 60's now...

working in the oncology&lungdisease-unit, i see those people all the time, spicy! throwing the O2 off to have a quick smoke....then back gasping to breath, quickly putting O2 back on! they cant quit, its sad : -(

and you are right tomaties are very healthy! so you can not have too many!!

Wow, Barbara, you've definitely seen what the bad side of smoking can be. That scenario you describe is sad.  I think one of the reasons I wanted to quit too was thinking of folks like that and not wanting to be like that.  But I can certainly understand the addiction.  Really tough.

Hey Spicy... my sister has blood clots in her lungs and she hacks and coughs like that while she continues to smoke.  It's really scary.

My grandfather died of emphysema last year and my Dad also has it too (his lungs only operate at about 35 per cent capacity on a good day). 

It's bloody awful. 

I'm so sorry to hear that Fortitude. (((HUGS)))

Helloooo...only just looked at this thread but well done to everyone quitting the evil weed!! Im on Champix too....six weeks smoke free, yaaay!!!! Looking forward to coming off the Champix though...magic it is...but god it makes me feel soooo sick!! Especially if I forget to eat first! Quit once before for 3 years with the help of hypnotherapy...but this time I'm determined to give up...especially as I just worked out how much i've been spending every month!!

Helloooo...only just looked at this thread but well done to everyone quitting the evil weed!! Im on Champix too....six weeks smoke free, yaaay!!!! Looking forward to coming off the Champix though...magic it is...but god it makes me feel soooo sick!! Especially if I forget to eat first! Quit once before for 3 years with the help of hypnotherapy...but this time I'm determined to give up...especially as I just worked out how much i've been spending every month!!
Very cool, Jennie!! Congrats to you for being 6 weeks smoke free!! Awesome, awesome job! Yeah it makes me sick too. Must eat first. I know what you mean about the cost of smoking. Between my husband and myself we had to be spending at least $350 a month to support our smoking habit. And that's with buying them in another state most of the time because the cost for cigarettes in our state is out-freaking-rageous! It's just about $8 a pack now.

But can I ask why several peeps on here keep calling it "CHAMPIX?"  Just wondering because it's actually called CHANTIX.  Not meaning to be a jerk, just curious.

I can tell you from experience how addictive cigarettes are.

My mom smoked for years and quit in her 70's. She had been off them for 7 or 8 years and found out she had lung cancer. Luckily it was contained in one lung. It was removed and she is still with us. She'll be 87 this Sept. She does however have episodes of trouble breathing due to COPD. She struggles at times but boy is she a fighter and is still pretty active. My personal hero.

Now you would think that watching this person who you love to bits go through all that you would quit immediately. It's been 6 years since her surgery and this is my third attempt at quitting.

The main thing to do is keep trying. Even if you fall for a while and start smoking again. Just keep trying.

So there is my motivation for quitting.

What are yours?

This is a great thread everyone. Keep trying. The cravings will pass and the benefits are too many to list.

Yay for us quitters!! The one time that being a quitter is admirable.

I don't smoke,but I know what it's like to beat an addiction and my prayers go out to everyone who's trying to quit smoking.

((HUGS))

My mom smoked for years and quit in her 70's. She had been off them for 7 or 8 years and found out she had lung cancer. Luckily it was contained in one lung. It was removed and she is still with us. She'll be 87 this Sept. She does however have episodes of trouble breathing due to COPD. She struggles at times but boy is she a fighter and is still pretty active. My personal hero.

Now you would think that watching this person who you love to bits go through all that you would quit immediately. It's been 6 years since her surgery and this is my third attempt at quitting.

The main thing to do is keep trying. Even if you fall for a while and start smoking again. Just keep trying.

What are yours?

This is a great thread everyone. Keep trying. The cravings will pass and the benefits are too many to list.

((((HUGS)))) So happy to hear your Mom is still with you. I can see why she would be your motivation and your hero. Thanks for sharing her story with us, it is most definitely an inspiring one. I will say a prayer for her and for the best health possible and that she is with you for a long time to come.

My motivation is my children mostly, but my parents play a factor. I lost both of my parents at a young age.  My father died when he was just 56 and I was only 23.  He never got to meet my husband and never knew his grandchildren. My mother died at 66. She never got to meet my youngest son. I just don't want to leave my children that early in life if I can help it. So I'm trying to change my unhealthy habits. I've been eating healthier and exercising and quitting smoking was just the next natural step.

Prayers for you and for all of us to be strong in quitting too. And you're right... this is one thing where we can be proud to call ourselves quitters, Canada!  Good call. 

And some xtra-special love for Spicy for starting this quitting smoking support thread.  You're the best, Spicy! ThankYouKisses.gif

3 cheers for Spicy!!! or 3 pints... whichever she would like.

Love how supportive this thread is.

Until next time everyone.

What are yours?

1) shortness of breath

2) chest pain

3) chronic bronchitis, both viral and bacterial, and usual antibiotics no longer work

4) abnormal x-ray scare (was just mucus filled bronchi, but thats

enough!)

5) weezing so loud my fiances afraid to go to sleep bc hes afraid ill stop breathing

6) snoring now for first time-keeping fiance awake-ug!!!

7) Asthma

8) high blood pressure

9) f***ing ugly yellow teeth!!

10) money

11) headaches

12) I stink

13) sinus pain and pressure

14) sore throats from hell

15) I want to live

16) i want to be there for my husband to be

17) I want children

18) I dont want to die before my parents

19) I want nicer softer beautiful skin

20) I want to go to sleep at night and stay there not get up for a 3 AM smoke

3 cheers for Spicy!!! or 3 pints... whichever she would like.

Love how supportive this thread is.

Until next time everyone.

E-CARD-INSPIRING-1.jpg