u2 Ipod Help

ofoghlada

• Subscriber

Hi guy's, hope someone can help me out.

Got a second hand U2 Ipod off a mate with the complete u2 plus some other tracks on it (payment for some help I gave him and he knew I was a fan) great I thought until i realized it is formatted for a Mac and I have a PC, it will reformat OK but I would lose all the music on it.

So I'm trying to find out how I can get the music off the Ipod, onto Itunes on my PC and then reformat the Ipod and re-upload the tracks?

Bit of a technophobe so any help would be appreciated.

THANKS!!

• Subscriber

hey alright off the top of my head...

first of all do you have an old ipod?

if so then you can clear that and reformat it to Mac. Then you can basically use it as an external hardrive and load the complete U2 from your friends computer (assuming he's still got it on there). Then you can take your old ipod with the C-U2 on it and load that onto your computer. then reformat the U2 ipod to fit your needs.

but i'm not a techy at all, im sure someone on here is much better at that stuff.

• Subscriber

You don't need to reformat unless you really want to. My advice is to buy this software - XPlay3:

http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/

It will allow a Mac formatted pod to be used by windows and vice versa. It also allows you to get music from an iPod back to a computer - Mac or PC. I've used it for years. Its been a life saver when my old pod was the main storage area for me. Also helped out mates who've had a pod but then lost their hard drive etc. You can trial it for free as well to see if you like it. Its $30USD. I'm sure someone can point you to a free alternative but this is what I've used and it worked for me.

You don't need to reformat unless you really want to. My advice is to buy this software - XPlay3:

http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/

It will allow a Mac formatted pod to be used by windows and vice versa. It also allows you to get music from an iPod back to a computer - Mac or PC. I've used it for years. Its been a life saver when my old pod was the main storage area for me. Also helped out mates who've had a pod but then lost their hard drive etc. You can trial it for free as well to see if you like it. Its $30USD. I'm sure someone can point you to a free alternative but this is what I've used and it worked for me.

Thanks for this info....I've got the complete version of Cry/Electric Co./Send in the Clowns (Under A Blood Red Sky) on my iPod, but lost the mp3 file on my computer. It looks like my iPod is going to take a shit anytime now (screen has some black spotches)...so I was worried about losing that specific track (which I can't track down on the internet anymore!). I'll try it out.

• Subscriber

I think the iPod links to a specific machine/library. Do you have one library on an external drive or are you maintaining seperate libraries. I'm not sure if it makes a difference if you sign into your iTunes account, that way it would think all computers are the same person/account_74615.

I guess the best set up would be to have multiple machines, all reading a NAS unit (wireless hard drive). That way you're reading one library, regardless of computer. The only other thing I can think to play around with is, sign up for 2Gb of free cloud storage from dropbox. Then store your iTunes library in there. Each computer would then need to be pointed to that library (you can link any number of machines to dropbox). The problem comes if you have different files all around the place, and so iTunes will be looking for files which are on different machines.

Either way, I can also recommend dropbox for file storage.