USA vs ENGLAND game targeted by al-Qa'eda

MacFoley

• Subscriber

England's opening World Cup match against the USA is being targeted by a terror group linked to al-Qa'eda.

An immediate review of security was ordered last night for theshowpiece game in South Africa after an Algerian-based group posted anonline threat to bring 'deaths' in an explosion on the day of the game.

Thousands of British and American fans are expected to descend on thetown of Rustenberg - 40 miles north of Johannesburg on June 12 - forthe Group C game.

Terror: A group have threatened to attack the Royal Bafokeng Stadium during the match between England and USA

The fear of a terror attack is one of the biggest concerns oftournament organisers with USA and Britain at the top of the targetlist because of their leading role in the War on Terror.

The threats were made on a jihadist online magazine of the North Africaterror group 'al-Qa'eda in the Islamic Maghreb', a militantorganisation based in Algeria.

The group said it planned to use a form of 'undetectable' explosivethat will be able to evade security checkpoints. The article refers toan 'explosion causing hundreds of deaths'.

This incident put World Cup organisers on a heightened state of alertfor the forthcoming tournament and now there will be further concernsabout security at the 45,000 capacity stadium hosting the game.

The terror threat prompted a response from FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke.

He said: 'It does not mean that because we receive a threat, the WorldCup should not be allowed to be contested in South Africa or any othercountry

'We have freedom in the world to celebrate what we want. As themanagement of the organisation that governs world football, we knowthere is a threat. We will not stop the organisation of the World Cupbecause we got the threat.'

The Football Association would not comment but insiders said that boththe Association of Chief Police Officers, the Home Office and ForeignOffice were aware of the threat.

More than 2.2 million tickets have already been sold for the month-longtournament and South African police have insisted their World Cupsecurity plans are adequate despite the threats made ahead of England'smatch against the USA.

Hurdles to get over: England's match with USA will have a high security presence

British anti-terror expert Professor Paul Wilkinson of St AndrewsUniversity said yesterday that the threat should be taken seriously.

He said: 'It is genuine and very similar to many other al-Qa'edawebsites That doesn't mean what is stated on such websites is to bebelieved.

'On the other hand, the message may have the effect of mobilising anindividual or group to carry out an attack and it is essential for theauthorities to increase security. '

The threat comes at a time of growing concern over the expansion ofal-Qa'eda in Africa. While Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria have allsupplied fighters to Jihadist groups - a hard-core of terrorist are nowbeing trained in Somalia.

Earlier this year the Togo team was ambushed as it travelled to theAfrican Cup of Nations tournament in Angola - killing three andinjuring a number of others.

A group called the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda -which has no known links to al-Qa'eda - later claimed responsibilityfor the attack.

Last night South African police chief Vishnu Naidoo questioned thecredibility of the threat, but added: 'Interpol will be based in SouthAfrica during the duration of the tournament.

'They have also established a database of all persons involved in organised crime, from hooliganism to terrorism.

'No one from that database will be allowed here. We also have our ownintelligence community here, the police, army, secret service, workingon a daily basis, monitoring potential threats.

'Our police officers are being trained by the American police to combat chemical, biological and nuclear attacks.'

Terror experts said it was unusual for al-Qa'eda and linkedorganisations to give advance warning of their precise target, tacticsand plans.

Professor Paul Wilkinson added: 'It is unusual, to say the least, foral-Qa'eda and affiliate organisations to give advance notice of theirprecise target and the tactic they will use.

'However, the authorities can't afford to ignore it, because peoplereading this message will include militants who might think this issomething they want to do.

'The deliberate pinpointing of this match highlights the hatred al-Qa'eda has for our country and the United States.'

http://www.dailymail.co.u...Qaeda.html#ixzz0keSKnRKM

• Subscriber

I heard this on the news last night. I'm sure that security will be extra cautious and I pray that nothing happens. I would not be comfortable attending this event though. It is an unfortunate part of our lives now, isn't it, being afraid of attacks all the time? Sigh . . . . . .

• Subscriber

maybe South Africa could use El Al's (Israeli Airline) security for the event. i'd hate to think these wankers could target a u2 concert if they felt like it and kill 70,000.
why would they target a u2 concert though? they have no gripes with the irish eh?

this world cup game and the olympics is one they will be rubbing their hands over!

• Subscriber

yeah gotta say this is troubling. already by making this threat they've won. even with all the security in the world anyone at the game will still be paranoid. I mean how do we know it will be USA England (obviously because that one makes sense) but it could just as easily be a game where we turn our back not expecting an attack at all like South Africa/France. We'd be so focused on The one US/Br game, we dont even pay attention to any others.

Boom

and no Kings. this isnt at all about supporting Africa. Bono may be a saint but it doesnt mean he's always right. honestly more aid into areas controlled by terrorists will only fuel the fire. 9 out of 10 aid missions fail because the workers or supplies can't reach their destination anyways. There are many African economists (basically the top experts on African development) saying all aid needs to be cut off by 2020, must not increase from now til then only decrease, otherwise Africa will become reliant on the West and wont be able to develop.

AND on top of that, the US already has the largest aid program out of any other country. so maybe its you guys who need to start helping.

"Blame it on the US" policy doesn't get any of you anywhere

I remember when I went back home to see U2 open up their extended stay at MSG for the Vertigo Tour during early October there was strong evidence of a plan to bomb the subway system (MSG is placed above Penn Station)....The FBI and NYPD were all over this threat and it got leaked to the press and the few days before the show that I said in midtown was very tense; like NYC doesn't need anymore tension.

Well, the show was awesome yet you could feel the stress come out of the crowd. Too me, it was one of their best shows....

I hope everything will go well in SA....If 9-11 showed us anything: Keep alert!

Go USA vs England.....LOL....and that is coming from a guy who doesn't like soccer at all....

If I am in Vegas I am taking Brazil to win it all....