Mofo- One of the key songs of the 90s and possibly U2's career

BulletTheRedSky

I gotta say that Mofo is an incredibly important song for U2. For starters, it marks winds of change in their sound in the 90s, and it shows that U2 aren't afraid to break new ground.

Just listen to it. That dark, trancy style, the cold and broken lyrics, the sense of foreboding it leaves you with. Also, notably the song is about Bono's mother- an old dog with new tricks. It's basically a trip into a clusterfucked mind. A man feels like tons of stuff has been missing from his life since his mother died. there's even voices in his mind, "Been around back, been around front". It's scary.

Also, the music is just brilliant. It has one of the sickest basslines ever. The drums also show a whole new layer of U2 we've even before. I also love how there's not as much reliance on Edgy's guitar. As a whole though, Mofo is the sound of insanity, like it or not, and it's here to stay. Kudos to U2!

• Subscriber

Awesome song, but surely Achtung Baby was the mark of change for the band in the 90s. And Zooropa too?

Mofo to me was the sound of a band who'd been hanging out at clubs after thier concerts and had been hearing the likes of Chemical Brothers, Underworld and The Prodigy.

It's really not too far removed from Setting Sun by the Chemical Brothers or Born Slippy by Underworld.

Sounded great live, and would love to hear it make a comeback!

Hmm, I beg to differ on that. Mofo does stand out as being very different to anything else the band has ever done - but at the time Pop was released, the charts were full of the likes of the Chemical Brothers and the Prodigy and everyone really thought U2 were just jumping on the bandwagon to remain relevant. I'm not saying it's a bad song, but I don't think it made a difference to the band's career.

I think the most important songs for U2 have been Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, With or Without You, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day and Vertigo. They're all great songs and the associated imagery with all of these was crucial in defining (or redefining) U2 at a particular point in time. If you're to pick one of the above as the stand out, then The Fly gets my vote - as far as I'm aware, no other band in pop history has pulled of a shift in musical style and image like U2 did with this one song.

• Subscriber

Agreed. The Fly was an earthquake of a song from U2. I remember when Simon Mayo played it twice back to back on Radio 1 one Monday morning as the first play anywhere and I cannot find the words to explain how much of a shock it was. Up until then we had the new wavey stuff, the angry young man rock, the moody and the stadium rock but nothing like The Fly!