My old shaper died

wahine

I got word yesterday my old surfboard shaper was found dead in his kitchen, natural causes. I worked tirelessly with him through the years (I had a a couple of other shapers that helped guide me, one of them passed away a few years ago kiyaking) I just had dinner with my old coach, we are talking 23 years ago I walked away then I got a phone call to go to dinner with my old coach just three weeks ago, and now my shaper died. I am freaking. He made the surfboards that won me all the titles, then I walked away. We were just all planning on getting back together I just never in a million years thought it would be at his funeral. Well I am sure it will be one of the biggest paddle outs in the world. It's traditional. I am shaking so hard right now. God, this man touched so many of the best surfers in the world for 30 years straight including all our children and the next generation,. Surfing has lots of legends but this man was the real deal. I have sexy boots on full blast right now, it's almost like I can hear him in the words to it.

• Subscriber

I got word yesterday my old surfboard shaper was found dead in his kitchen, natural causes. I worked tirelessly with him through the years (I had a a couple of other shapers that helped guide me, one of them passed away a few years ago kiyaking) I just had dinner with my old coach, we are talking 23 years ago I walked away then I got a phone call to go to dinner with my old coach just three weeks ago, and now my shaper died. I am freaking. He made the surfboards that won me all the titles, then I walked away. We were just all planning on getting back together I just never in a million years thought it would be at his funeral. Well I am sure it will be one of the biggest paddle outs in the world. It's traditional. I am shaking so hard right now. God, this man touched so many of the best surfers in the world for 30 years straight including all our children and the next generation,. Surfing has lots of legends but this man was the real deal. I have sexy boots on full blast right now, it's almost like I can hear him in the words to it.

{{hugs}}

*wahine walks out singing Ball of Confusion by Love and Rockets remembering how it all use to be, one of my surf songs* I use to sit out in the water in my heats and this song would go through my head, along with some choice others lots of U2 songs, staring at his signature on my boards. As a matter of fact the board i had the U2 airbrushed on next to logos that people paid for LOL, he shaped that one I rode at the US Open! Damn...I just found that photo the other day and was able to go hah I have proof that I was a U2 fan back then! I was a champion surfer and my best buddy was the US champ in motorcross and we trained with those logos on. God, it's so odd

Odd, that I posted here before I really let anyone in the industry know. It's fast and furious news now and people catching flights from all over, I knew it would be like that. I don't know, I am focusing on things that were good. It was honor to have riden his surfboards. Shapers are artists. And he was one of the best. It was honor to call him a friend.

• Subscriber
Odd, that I posted here before I really let anyone in the industry know. It's fast and furious news now and people catching flights from all over, I knew it would be like that. I don't know, I am focusing on things that were good. It was honor to have riden his surfboards. Shapers are artists. And he was one of the best. It was honor to call him a friend.
Nice that you can see the good parts of this and conentrate on what a great person he was and how important it was that you had him in your life as a friend.