Rate the albums...

Guest chris

Guest chris

I'm new here, sorry if this has been done before, but...

The new album has inspired me to listen back through their catalog, something a new release hasn't done in quite a while. Now I've been re-thinkingseveral albums and I thought it would make for a cool discussion...

For me it would go something like this:

Boy: B+

Solid debut, the trademark 80's U2 sounds are already there, but it's more of a hint of what they were capable of doing.

October: A

I don't care what anyone says, I love this disc. The songs feel like they have a bit more room to breathe, some of the arrangements are wonderful, and thelyrics are better than any so-called Christian music I've heard since.

War: B

Hate me if you want, I'm just not a huge fan of War. There's a few classic tracks, but also a few I skip over every time I listen.

The Unforgetable Fire: A+

The First classic. The sounds and textures are wonderful, love the Eno influence. Bad is the best thing they've done up to this point.

The Joshua Tree: A

A great album in just about every way, they deserved every bit of superstardom they got off this one.

Rattle and Hum: C

I love the movie, but taken in the context of an album, this one does nothing for me. There are plenty of bands who can do these sorts of styles much betterthan U2, and without seeing the musical journey unfolding on the screen before you this just isn't a very interesting listen at all.

Achtung Baby: A++

My favorite U2 album. It scared the crap out of me when it first came out, it was so different. A few weeks later I was in love, and I have yet to get tired ofit almost 20 years later.

Zooropa: A

I hated this album for years, but once it grew on me it really stuck. Listening to it always puts me in a good mood.

Passengers: A-

Not sure if I consider this a U2 album or not, but I dig it. A few skipable songs, but some really innovative and original sounding stuff on there as well.

Pop: A-

Definitely not the disaster some critics claimed it to be. Lyrically it's a little lacking, but sonically it's amazing.

All That You Can't Leave Behind: B-

Too safe, too sterile, too calculated. And the lyrics for about half of the songs are absolutely horrible. I can understand why this was the big comeback hit,but I can barely listen to it.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: B+

Still a pretty safe album, but a step in the right direction. A few songs are just wonderful, and even when they fail it's still a lot more entertainingthan the previous album.

No Line On The Horizon: A?

The jury is still out on this one. I think if a year from now it still sounds as good as it does right now, I'll bump it up to an A+. I can't stoplistening to it, which hasn't happened with a U2 album in a number of years.

So how would you rate the albums?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i,ll do it out of 10.

boy/10

october/7

war/8

unforgettable fire/10

joshua tree/11laugh.gifprobably the best album ever from any band

rattle and hum/8

acthung baby/10

zooropa/6 hit and miss for me.it has some classics on there stay faraway so close/dirty day etc.but there is some shite on there too.

pop/9

atyclb/7.

again some great track/new york/ground beneath her feet.but wild honey wtf is all that about worse u2 song ever.

ttdaab/8

nloth 8

i have to agree with you about the unforgettable fire album.

bad is the best song to date..

i really hope they play it on this tour.

thats said joshua tree is still my favourite album ever.

every track is masterpiece.

Rated out of 10.

Boy: 7

October: 7

War: 6

Under a Blood Red Sky: 6

Unforgettable Fire: 7

Wide Awake In America: 5

Joshua Tree: 10

Rattle and Hum: 10

Achtung Baby: 10

Zooropa: 7

Passengers: 6

Pop: 8

Best of 1980 - 1990: 9.5 (lost half a star for shortening "Streets")

Million Dollar Hotel: 5

All That You Can't Leave Behind: 4

Best of 1990 - 2000: 7 (how can you include new songs from 2002?)

How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb: 8

18 Singles: 7

No Line On The Horizon: 8

• Subscriber

Boy is a 10/10 New Wave classic.

October has a great feel and sound but also sounds half finished - 5/10

War is great and an important record to me but does sound a bit dated now - 8/10

Unforgettable Fire is great, but more a sign of things to come - 8/10

The Joshua Tree is immense and the greatest album of the 80's - 10/10

Rattle and Hum is under rated because of the cynical criticism it receieved - 8/10

Achtung Baby is U2's only other work that stands up to The Joshua Tree post Joshua Tree if you see what I mean and is easily - 10/10

Zooropa is fun but I don't play it too often, would have been better as a 7" or 12" EP - 7/10

Pop is poor by U2's own high standards and their weakest album - 4/10

All That You Can't ... to me is a bit patchy. Good but not great anthemic singles and a weak second half, but I love Walk On - 6/10

... Atomic Bomb had some great moments especially City of Blinding Lights and was a big improvement on ATYCLB - 8/10

... and so the new one ... I haven't made my mind up yet and percieved wisdom is that it's a grower ... 8/10 at the minute.

Boy= 9 October= 7 War= 8 Unforgettable Fire= 8 The Joshua Tree= 10... first U2 album I ever listened to and the 2nd best Rattle and Hum= 5... I just never gotinto this one, sorry. Actung Baby= 10!!! The best U2 album in my opinion. Start to finish it takes you on a journey. Zooropa= 8... it grew on me Pop= 7...it's not that bad All That You Can't Leave Behind= 7... I try and try to like this one more but it's just o.k. How to dismantle an atomic bomb=8... great songs, but it feels like a collection of singles and not a fluid album. No line on the horizon= 8? I think this one's going to grow on me overtime

Boy= 9

October= 7

War= 8

Unforgettable Fire= 8

The Joshua Tree= 10... first U2 album I ever listened to and the 2nd best

Rattle and Hum= 5... I just never got into this one, sorry.

Actung Baby= 10!!! The best U2 album in my opinion. Start to finish it takes you on a journey.

Zooropa= 8... it grew on me

Pop= 7... it's not that bad

All That You Can't Leave Behind= 7... I try and try to like this one more but it's just o.k.

How to dismantle an atomic bomb= 8... great songs, but it feels like a collection of singles and not a fluid album.

No line on the horizon= 8? I think this one's going to grow on me over time

• Subscriber

Ok... here goes
BOY - A
This CD is amazing 30 Years Later. Edges guitar and Bonos Lyrics, With Adam and Larry Seeting up The Rhythm. Every Song Is A Gem To Me. Just A Great Debut CD.

OCTOBER - B
Gloria is a great song. This CD is not one of my favorites, but i do like to take it out once and a while and listen again.
not as good as BOY in my opinion, but similar.

WAR - A-
This CD was the One that Hooked me as a fan back in 1983. Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, Surrender, Drowning Man, 40, Seconds, I like the whole thing...and does not sound Dated to me (As some other post stated).

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE - A-
Definitely a Bold Move for the band to take there music in another direction after the success of WAR at the time. i remember my first listen, I liked it butdidnt love it.... but like U2 experimental CD's after a few listens you Fall in Love with it... definitely nothing like it when it first came out. Pride,Bad, Wire, Unforgettable Fire, Promenade, Indian Summer Sky, Sort Of Homecoming, are the Key songs for me

JOSHUA TREE - A++
Definitely my favorite CD. After 22 years of listening to this CD i can still put this on and just listen from start to finish and want to listen again. Everysong on this CD is great. Wish they would break out Exit for a few shows... or at least one that im at.

RATTLE & HUM - B+
I like the movie, the CD is very good too. Love Rescue Me is a favorite for me on this CD, a hidden gem, the lyrics are great. Heartland, God part II,Hawkmoon, all hidden gems. And the Hits Desire, When Love Comes To Town, Angel Of Harlem, All I Want Is You.

ACHTUNG BABY - A+
Another Change in direction and again at first listen, not what i was expecting, but didnt take long to fall in love. again a great listen from start tofinish, and some great gems on this too. So Cruel, Throw Your Arms Around The World, Love Is Blindness, Ultraviolet Light. And the Hits are Classic... TheFly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, One, Wild Horses, Mysterious Ways

ZOOROPA - B
This CD is not one of my favorites. But again like October i like to take it out and listen to it for something different from U2 to listen to. Zooropa is agreat song, Daddys Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Some Days Are Better Than Others, Dirty Day, The First Time, and The Wanderer, are all very good. I found ididnt like the released hits as much... Numb, Lemon... i do like Stay Faraway So Close. Definitely a good CD just not as good as some of the others.

POP - B+
I Like this CD, sometimes seems like i might be the only one. Definitely some great songs on here... Gone, Please, Wake Up Dead Man, Do You Feel Loved, StaringAt The Sun, Mofo, Discoteque. The Edges guitar wizardry on this CD is amazing. Listen closely to the guitar on this CD. A lot of different experimental sounds.

ALL THAT YOU CANT LEAVE BEHIND - A+
I dont know why this CD gets a lot of criticism. Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, In a Little While, When I Look At The World, NewYork. One Of my Favorite, up there with Achtung Baby, and Joshua Tree for Me... just a great CD form start to finish. Maybe people dont like that it wasnt asexperimental. But after POP and how nobody liked that CD (except me) this was the safe way to go for U2 i think and i think they delivered a great CD.

HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB - A+
This CD seemes to be getting a lot of criticism now too. and again i dont see why. City Of Blinding Lights blows me away everytime i hear it. Miracle Drug,Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own, A Man And A Woman, Love & Peace Or Else, Vertigo, Original Of The Species, Yahweh, One Step Closer, All Because OfYou... this is a great CD from start to finish in my opinion.. again.. not as experimental but still a great CD

NO LINE ON THE HORIZON - A++
I have listened to this CD over and over when i get a chance since U2.com posted it and i bought on Tuesday. This is definitely up there with Joshua Tree andAchtung Baby for me. I cant stop listening to it. A great CD from start to finish.
Another Experimantal CD that i have already fallen in love with. I dont some people do not like this CD and thats there opinion, and in some way i canunderstand why... its definitely different than most U2 Cd's but thats what i think i love about it. I love the creative side of U2 as maybe you can tellby my ratings. There isnt a CD i dont like... i love them all. I love U2 for the music they create, this CD is Awesome... Moment Of Surrender was the standout song for me at first... but i have fallen in love with the whole thing. Magnificent, Unknown Caller. I'll Go Crazy, Breathe, No Line On The Horizon,White As Snow, Stand Up Comedy, Get On Your Boots, White As Snow, Cedars Of Lebanon, & Fez-Being Born.... they are all creative and lyrically i think itsvery good too.. Theres a song on the LINEAR DVD. that came in the box set.. its called WINTER and the lyrics are amazing. Definitely lyrics that could havebeen on the WAR CD. I dont know why they didnt release this song on the CD itself. Hopefully it will be a B-side.

The joshua tree (10/10)

no line on the horizon (10/10)

achtung baby (10/10)

rattle and hum (9/10)

boy(8/10)

pop(8/10)

war(7/10)

the unforgettable fire(7/10)

how to dismantle an atomic bomb(6/10)

October(6/10)

all that you can't leave behind(5/10)

zooropa(2/10)