Rate the albums...

Guest chris

By the way, it bugs me that music appreciation has to be such a relativistic experience. But I don't see any way around it other than consensus. Take thesong "I still haven't found what I'm looking for." Very few people would prefer the studio version to the version on R&H. Yet some peoplewould.

How do we tell either group they are wrong?

There is something wrong with grading music quality like we grade ice cream flavors (you like vanilla and I like chocolate, and never the twain shall meet),but alas, I see no alternative route.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've very scientifically gone through and rated every song on each album and taken an average to come up with the following :)  Yes I have too much time on my hands.  All very subjective I know but here goes.

1. Achtung Baby  (4.75 stars)

2. The Joshua Tree (4.5 stars)

3. Zooropa (4.25 stars)

4. Rattle & Hum (4 stars)

5. Pop (4 stars - I rate R&H ahead because of All I want is you and Desire really :)

6. War (3.75 stars)

7. All that you can't leave behind  (3.5 stars)

8. Boy (3.5 stars)

9. How to dismantle an atomic bomb (3.25 stars)

10. No line on the horizon (3 stars)

11. The Unforgettable Fire (2.5 stars)

12. October (2 stars)

• Subscriber

Note this is relative to the other albums which is why several have low numbers.

1. Boy - 4/10: cant get much better for a debut album, a rerecording could turn out awesome.

2. October - 1/10: some real jems in Gloria and Scarlet, but no else too praise worthy

3. War - 6/10: truly an incredible album, a rerecording for this one could be great too

4. Unforgettable Fire - 9/10: Pride, Sort Of Homecoming, Title Track, Bad, Wire MLK and the story behind the album

5. Joshua Tree - 10/10: No justification of this needed.

6. Rattle And Hum - 3/10: Classic tracks, some great live and Hawkmoon, but would have like more of the live tracks from the film in the CD (Exit, In God's Country)

7. Achtung Baby - 9/10: Definitely deserves high marks, nothing short of extraordinary

8. Zooropa - 2/10: A couple great songs and great leg of the tour, but nothing remarkalbe to show really. Personally I'm not a big fan of it.

9. Pop - 10/10: Yes.

10. All That You Can't Leave Behind - 10/10: There isnt an error on this Album and should be considered among the greatest albums of all time. first 4 tracks are definitely one of the strongest openings to any album in history.

11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - 7/10: Great sound throughout the album, second half of the album is a bit of a drag though

12. No Line On The Horizon - 5/10: I like the songs alot; Love Unknown Caller, but i just can't bring myself to praise the album. hopefully it will be more appreciated with time, but who knows....

So top abums:

Joshua Tree

Pop

All That You Can't Leave Behind

• Subscriber

tired.gifBoy 9
October 8.5ohwell.gif
happy.gifWar 9
The Unforgettable Fire 9.5pimp.gif
tired.gifThe Joshua Tree 10
Rattle and Hum 9glasses.gif
eek.gifAchtung Baby 10
Zooropa 9nerd.gif
smokin.gifPop 9
All That You Can't Leave Behind 8.5smile.gif
wink.gifHow To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb 8
wink.gifNo Line On The Horizon 10 wink.gif

out of 5 stars..............

BOY 5 (only because it made them into the band they are today)

OCTOBER 3.5 (would have been much better if bono had finished the lyrics better)

WAR 4 (would have been 5 if songs on side b were stronger and not so american sounding)

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE 5 (what i would call the FIRST proper album by u2)

JOSHUA TREE 5 (not a bad song on the album, really)

RATTLE AND HUM 3.5 (if only there wasnt those bad cover version on it)

ACHTUNG BABY 5 (my favorite)

ZOOROPA 5 (amazing)

POP 3.5 (like october, if only they had finished it better)

ALL THAT YOU CANT LEAVE BEHIND 3 (poor album by u2 throwing their arms around america for sales)

HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB 3.4 (better effort than last, but still meat and potatoes u2 rawk)

NO LINE ON THE HORIZON 4.5 (better songwriting all round)

Boy 10/10 (my favorite U2 album)

October 6/10 (sophomore jinx)

War 8/10 (U2 hits starting to emerge)

The Unforgettable Fire 8/10 (haunting and beautiful...different from the rest of the 80's)

The Joshua Tree 10/10 (time to conquer the world!)

Rattle & Hum 7/10 (if only they included the DVD versions)

Achtung Baby 10/10 (the 2nd coming)

Zooropa 7/10 (ahead of it's time)

Pop 8/10 (for us U2 fans...learn to love)

All That You Can't Leave Behind 6/10 (time to kiss U.S.A's ass)

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb 7/10 (a little bit better)

No Line On The Horizon 8/10 (mixed reviews, but I love it....others will appreciate it later...like Pop)

Note this is relative to the other albums which is why several have low numbers.

1. Boy - 4/10: cant get much better for a debut album, a rerecording could turn out awesome.

2. October - 1/10: some real jems in Gloria and Scarlet, but no else too praise worthy

3. War - 6/10: truly an incredible album, a rerecording for this one could be great too

4. Unforgettable Fire - 9/10: Pride, Sort Of Homecoming, Title Track, Bad, Wire MLK and the story behind the album

5. Joshua Tree - 10/10: No justification of this needed.

6. Rattle And Hum - 3/10: Classic tracks, some great live and Hawkmoon, but would have like more of the live tracks from the film in the CD (Exit, In God's Country)

7. Achtung Baby - 9/10: Definitely deserves high marks, nothing short of extraordinary

8. Zooropa - 2/10: A couple great songs and great leg of the tour, but nothing remarkalbe to show really. Personally I'm not a big fan of it.

9. Pop - 10/10: Yes.

10. All That You Can't Leave Behind - 10/10: There isnt an error on this Album and should be considered among the greatest albums of all time. first 4 tracks are definitely one of the strongest openings to any album in history.

11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - 7/10: Great sound throughout the album, second half of the album is a bit of a drag though

12. No Line On The Horizon - 5/10: I like the songs alot; Love Unknown Caller, but i just can't bring myself to praise the album. hopefully it will be more appreciated with time, but who knows....

So top abums:

Joshua Tree

Pop

All That You Can't Leave Behind

Bono has stated that they want to re-record the first 3 albums...they felt that they were rushed, limited on budget, and didn't like the fake English accent.
  • Subscriber

yeah i heard that too, was last year on the NLOTH promo tour i think. definitely be worth it. take the 25+ years of playing these songs live and try to incorporate that into a rerecording. (electric Co, i will follow, Sunday bloody sunday, new years day...)