Jump to content

Rate the albums...


Guest chris

Recommended Posts

  • Subscriber

All That You Can't Leave Behind 6/10 (time to kiss U.S.A's ass[/font])

 

Is that really necessary? Cant you just put down the album and leave nationality out of it?
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Shannon387 wrote:


bflorendo']

All That You Can't Leave Behind 6/10 (
time to kiss U.S.A's ass
[/font]
)

 

Is that really necessary? Cant you just put down the album and leave nationality out of it?

 

Mac Foley would agree with me on this one....it was too safe for the U.S. Billboard Charts.

Stuck In A Moment, with a music video of John Madden & American football....?

New York?

Beautiful Day (one of my least favorite U2 hit songs)...I don't think it would be as popular if another band came up with this song...chord progreesion reminds me of Rick Springfield's Jesse's Girl. (Ok, here come the attacks...LOL).

 

My favorite track on this album is Kite...one of the most played on my iPod.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:


Shannon387 wrote:

bflorendo
']

All That You Can't Leave Behind 6/10 (
time to kiss U.S.A's ass
)

 

Is that really necessary? Cant you just put down the album and leave nationality out of it?

 

Mac Foley would agree with me on this one....it was too safe for the U.S. Billboard Charts.

Stuck In A Moment, with a music video of John Madden & American football....?

New York?

Beautiful Day (one of my least favorite U2 hit songs)...I don't think it would be as popular if another band came up with this song...chord progreesion reminds me of Rick Springfield's Jesse's Girl. (Ok, here come the attacks...LOL).

 

My favorite track on this album is Kite...one of the most played on my iPod.

 

 

Well, if you use those arguments U2 kissed America's ass long before ATYCLB, since they released songs such as Elvis Presley & America, MLK, Heartland or Miami.

And the official video for Stuck in a Moment was the one with Bono thrown from a van and singing flat on his back on the street, the other at the Amercian ball game was an extra which I sow it for the first time on Best of 1990-2000 DVD. 

If ATYCLB was a "safe album" not a great one, how come it won so many grammies and sold over 10 million copies, both music experts and general public were just stupid?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

Boy: 8/10 (great debut-album)

October: 7/10 (It has potential, but sounds unfinished)

War: 9/10 (first real classic of U2, good straight-forward rock)

Unforgettable fire: 9/10 (instead of making 'War part 2', U2 makes the bold choice to redefine the band's sound)

The Joshua Tree: 9,5/10 (U2 combines the atmospheric soundscapes of Unforgettable Fire with classic songs)

Rattle & Hum 7/10 (overall good album with some great songs, but lacks a consistant feel)

Achtung Baby: 10/10 (U2 choses again for a musical redirection and makes its best album to date)

Zooropa: 9/10 (a great album where U2 experiments with different musical genres)

Pop: 8,5/10 (an underrated gem. It doesn't really fulfill its ambition, but still way better than most people think)

All you can't leave behind: 9/10 (U2's poppiest record, but a great album)

How to dismantle an atomic bomb: 8,5/10 (Great album, but has some lesser songs on it)

No Line On The Horizon: 9/10 (maybe 9,5) (A great, but underrated album, maybe U2's best since Achtung Baby)

Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='bacadorina wrote:


bflorendo
wrote:

Shannon387 wrote:

bflorendo
']

All That You Can't Leave Behind 6/10 (
time to kiss U.S.A's ass
)

 

Is that really necessary? Cant you just put down the album and leave nationality out of it?

 

Mac Foley would agree with me on this one....it was too safe for the U.S. Billboard Charts.

Stuck In A Moment, with a music video of John Madden & American football....?

New York?

Beautiful Day (one of my least favorite U2 hit songs)...I don't think it would be as popular if another band came up with this song...chord progreesion reminds me of Rick Springfield's Jesse's Girl. (Ok, here come the attacks...LOL).

 

My favorite track on this album is Kite...one of the most played on my iPod.

 

 

Well, if you use those arguments U2 kissed America's ass long before ATYCLB, since they released songs such as Elvis Presley & America, MLK, Heartland or Miami.

And the official video for Stuck in a Moment was the one with Bono thrown from a van and singing flat on his back on the street, the other at the Amercian ball game was an extra which I sow it for the first time on Best of 1990-2000 DVD. 

If ATYCLB was a "safe album" not a great one, how come it won so many grammies and sold over 10 million copies, both music experts and general public were just stupid?

Compare it to the other albums like Pop, NLOTH, Zooropa, The Unforgettable Fire and even Achtung Baby, it was a safe album. Even the Joshua Tree, at the time, went against the grain of the music trend back then. Those songs you mentioned, like MLK, Elvis & America, etc...if you listen to those, they won't be considered hit songs, to the general public, coz of the way it sounds.... Those would be more considered more 'unique'...could you imagine MLK being played on a U.S. Top 40 radio station TODAY?...I don't think so! The word 'poppy' comes to mind when you hear the tracks on this (ATYCLB) album. At the time, when The Joshua Tree came out, yes, those songs were played in Top 40 radio stations, but back then (imo) great quality music was more accepting (just look at MTV and VH1 back then and compare it with the quality of music they play now). As for the Grammy's, it was that time when the boy bands and divas were being ousted out of popularity (just check out the late 90's - divas & boy bands galore), and real bands were on the rise again. Now compare NLOTH and ATYCLB with the number of Grammy awards, is it safe to say that NLOTH was more 'experimental', and that's why they didn't win as much, considering what they went up against? Magnificent would be considered a caliber of Streets, Boots would fit in the lines of Vertigo and Beautiful Day, but then you had songs like Cedars, Snow and Moment of Surrender that would be the likes of Heartland, The First Time and Velvet Dress....which have never been played on a Top 40 radio station.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

Boy - B- (Too punk oriented. Although, I Will Follow rocks when done live)

October - B+ (Gusty move for a rock and roll band)

War - A (Classical)

The Unforgetable Fire - A+ (Bad, Unforgettable Fire & Wire, my favs)

The Joshua Tree - A++ ( Fantastic album from start to finish)

Rattle & Hum - C ( Self glorifying)

Achtung Baby - A++ (A masterpiece!!! This album is superb. Sometimes I find myself liking it more than Joshua Tree)

Zooropa - D (Can't stand this album. Although, they did some good transitioning some of the songs live)

Pop -C- (I hope one day they really redo & finish this album. It has potential)

ATYCLB - B (Liked this album alot at first. But it lost its appeal after a few plays)

HTDAAB - B+ (Another safe album.City of Blinding Lights & Love & peace or Else two of their best though)

NLOTH - A ( The more I listen to this album, the more I appreciate it. Up there with Unforgettable Fire)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

Boy - 8

October - 9

War - 8

Unforgettable Fire - 10

Joshua Tree - 10

Rattle and Hum - 7

Achtung Baby - 8

Zooropa - 5

Pop - 3

All That You Can't Leave Behind - 7

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - 8

No Line on the Horizon - 6

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...