The Bum & Monkey Hugs Thread

mummy

So this term to "sell out", does it exist?  Is it possible to "sell out"?  Is it fair to state that a band has "sold out"?  Do all bands sell out at some stage?

These questions will be examined in great detail.

When I refer to the term "Sell out", I mean it in the context of a band/artist who allow fortune to come before principle. 

Most bands, if not all bands, must "sell out" to make money and be heard playing in your living room.  U2 sold out to Island Records.  This "sell out" was what made them who they are today, with a lot of wheeling and dealing from P.McG, himself. If U2 did not "sell out" to a record label (in other words put principles before fortune), the band would have had to struggle to produce and market their own album(s).  They would have had the great misfortune of hoping their album(s) reached the top of the bargain bin.  We would have had the great misfortune of not being able to listen to the many great albums they released on the island records label if they had not sold out.

If you are in a band and you want to become successful, you need to put fortune before principle.  You need to get a record label to promote your work.  Quite frankly - and I mean no offense to Frank when I say this - you need to sell out to become successful.

All the big names in show business had to sell out so that you and I have the privilidge of hearing their music - U2, R.E.M., Pearl Jam, Madonna, Radiohead, Muse, The Prodigy, Bob Dylan, George Michael, Frank Sinatra, Elton John, Lady Gaga, Tindersticks.... etc etc. 

So to answer the questions at the outset:

So this term to "sell out", does it exist? YES

Is it possible to "sell out"?  YES

Is it fair to state that a band has "sold out"?  YES

Do all bands sell out at some stage? YES - They've all done it and you'll all do it too if you want to be heard by the masses.

Now, stop arguing and please hug each other.  You can never get enough hugs.tongue.gif

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course i don't agree.

let's make a difference between the bands who make compromises for dollars and those who sell their souls for money

Of course you don't. wink.gif

I'm going to call your bluff:

Make the difference between those who make compromises for dollars and those who sell their souls for dollars.

I'd like you to make that difference in 100 words or less.  If you have to use more than 100 words well then there is no difference because then you are only bending the truth to suit your claim.  I know.  I'm a professional when it comes to bending the truth to make a claim.  I do it every day as part of my job: This post of mine has 100 words.

well according to some, lady gaga is a sell out. good enough for you mummy?!?

Mac, are they the same people who think there is a difference between compromise for dollars and selling your soul to make money? tongue.gif

• Subscriber

Hasn't this all been discussed and discussed and discussed before? I do agree with you though, Mummy. We should stop the arguing and just hug each other. So I'm sending one your way.

((((((((Mummy)))))))) smile.gif