The oil

wahine

I am just watching the oil spill pumping out 5,000 barrel of oil everyday straight into our Gulf. Why the hell nobody designed an emergency shutdown like the electrical grid is beyond me but I am just freaking heartbroken over this. Please pray the winds switch direction and take it away from the nesting grounds and please pray that same wind stops and the waves settle down so they can at least skim it, right now the seas are running close to five feet and the oil is going over the booms. This is going to make the Exxon Valdez look like puppy food. Lord, please make it stop. As for British Protroleum I have no words for your company. We expect you to be stewards of our environment you are on leased land YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE BETTER. How hard would it be for the fancy engineers to design a shutdown system. My own daughter is studying to be a geologist, Good God the rules must now be changed since they couldn't do it on their own, now they will be forced to comply. I don't think that company has enough money to pay for the damages and there is no insurance company in the world that can either. In the meantime, please pray for my state of Florida, ironically the loop will take it around Florida and right off my beach during turtle nesting season and the there are only 400 right whales left in the world and they just counted a pod of 95 traveling right off the coast in the current loop on our coast here. Just please pray for us as well as the Lords creatures.

I feel ill every time I start to watch news of it. Just knowing what is descending is a sickening feeling. I almost want to pack up and move down there and camp so I could help wash birds or something. This is a huge natural disaster. (human-made disaster affecting nature)

When are we going to develop better technology so we can stop being addicted to oil? Will this finally be the devestating event that forces us to?

Part of the reason I moved to where I did is because I knew I'd have to drive very little. I maybe fill my gas tank once every six weeks. I'd love to be able to afford a smart car. For now I'm stuck with an older car.

Just keep those images of the spill in mind for the next time some "patriots" start the mantra of "drill, baby, drill!"

Also keep it in mind the next time you hear someone touting nuclear power as the new "green" and "renewable" energy source - that goes double for any self-styled liberals who do it.   Note that the oil wreck in the Gulf occurred just before the anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster (April 26, 1986) - both should stand as a warning that no human endeavor is going to be flawless. 

Eleven workers died on that oil derrick; add to that the miners killed recently in West Virginia, and now two more miners reported dead in Kentucky. 

-- eaplatt

• Subscriber

why is it mankind keeps ruining this beautiful planet.... and still we all keep living our live and yes....we, or at least some of us, feel sick when we hear/see news like this... but tomorrow, or next week, or month, we will forget and nothing has changed...

Non, non, rien n'a changé

Tout, tout a continué

Non, non, rien n'a changé

Tout, tout a continué

Hey hey,hey heyfrown.giffrown.gif

This is something I will never forget. Ever. When my dad was alive he declared our Indian River Bottlenose Dolphins a National Treasure here in Florida on the east coast so no one could hurt them ever again. We have been working so hard to clean up our lagoon from years of runoff and abuse. The Indian River dolphins are the ones you see at Sea World, they would steal our dolphins, them and the herd in coastal South Carolina are related bigtime. Funny how you can trace their families through the DNA, so these two herds are pretty special. Thank God, Sea World is sending all their vets and every single available space will be used here for long term rehab. Sea World is really good about that, they actually have a rehab site just down the street from me out here on the island. Can't trust them on some things but they are the best when it comes to helping. So yeah, any and all help is going to be needed. My husband is actually in this industry of environmental cleanups (that's his fancy job, he use to be in a great band years back) anyhow he is heading for the Pensacola,Florida on Monday/Tuesday to check on another site and has offered up his services. Our companies here are making booms as fast as we can here at Cape Canaveral. God, this is just almost biblical. One thing after another after another after another. I'm using the battery on the computer, rode my bike everywhere today, and tonight lighting torches and cooking on the firepit, we had a wild raft race in the lagoon today and its our founders day so our entire town is trying to figure out what we can do to help and it begins with weaning off the bottle of oil. It can't happen overnight but we have been trying since the 70's to stop, now we have no choice. It's gonna take some great thinkers, God willing our kids can think outside the box. I just wish the Lord would help us make the right choices and have the strength to put our planet before our wants.

This is incredibly tragic and sickening. It's not just BP, it's also Halliburton. I hope the lawsuits and cost of this tragedy runs both companies into the ground. I have 2 BP stations near me and I've never used them. The fragile ecosystem in the Gulf is completely at risk, this is an ecological disaster!

I haven't heard what actually caused that rig to catch fire. Obama announced recently that drilling off the East coast will be allowed in a few years. God I pray that decision is rethought!