Concert Photography (Digital) - Techie question

Lemonhead

• Subscriber

Morning all,

I'm going to see Paul Weller tonight and have just bought a new digital camera which I would like to use.

I've bought a Panasonic DMC-FS15 digital camera (Lumix) with a Leica lense. It's a 12 Mega Pixels with a possible 29mm Wide angle and a 5X optical zoom.

I am hoping you can give me advise on what settings I should use for best results. It's an indoor concert in a smallish venue (couple of thousand) generally speaking it's fairly dark and I'll most probably be about 5 to 10 metres from the stage.

I don't know what information you need (such as max ISO, etc.) so feel free to ask details on the camera.

Even basic info such as should I use flash or not, should I use intelligent auto mode, etc.

Advice for both colour pics and b&w pics would be most appreciated!

Cheers Zootops!

Lemonhead, I recommend that before the concert starts take a few test pictures... maybe of mates from about the same distance away that you will be from the stage (i.e. if you are 10 meters from the stage, take pics of your mates from that distance). Don't max your ISO. The higher the ISO, the more grainy you pics will be. Set your ISO to 400 and see if you can get good pictures at that setting. If you use the flash, you may lose out on the lighting effects of the stage but you are more likely to get better pics of band. If you don't use the flash, you will get better lighting effects, as long as the lighting from the stage is adequate and you are close enough to benefit from that lighting. It's very difficult to say what the best option is but I do recommend you take a couple of test shots prior to the concert starting and choose the option best for you:

So, keep ISO as low as possible to reduce graininess (but high enough so that you can't improve colour).

Use Flash only if you can't get a good enough picture without it. Remember, using flash can annoy the band members.

Don't use the zoom if at all possible - remember although you can zoom in optically, your flash cannot zoom.

Check out your auto mode - it might provide you with the best settings.

Keep the image quality at its highest (12mp) - the bigger the image, the more you have to work with afterwards on your PC.

Enjoy the concert!

• Subscriber

Thanks a million Mummy for the comprehensive reply (I was kind of dreading getting a theoretical masterclass in light refraction lol).

I will do exactly as you recommend and test it on the support act as they should have a similar lighting set up (rather than friends who will not be in the spotlights).

I gather use of flash is banned so I guess I'll try first with the intelligent automation with the flash forced off and if that works I'll stick with that and if not I'll mess around with the ISO settings (400 as you suggest). I'm 6"3 and will probably get up close and personal as the crowd/stage is only a couple of feet apart) so don't reckon I'll need to zoom in any case.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how I get on smile.gif

• Subscriber

Great gig people! I strongly recommend those who have never seen Mr. Paul Weller to give it a shot.

On the pic front, I'm not too happy with the result. I could not find one true setting which suited. Perhaps I was a bit too far back, I'm not sure but it requires a lot more testing before U2 this summer! Next attempt will be Kasabian in a coupe of weeks.

Two examples which turned out ok:

P1000521.jpg

P1000514.jpg

Advice on how to make these better next time is welcomed!

• Subscriber

Not bad pics though

I have a panasonic lumix too - the TZ6 and can't wait to try it out in the summer at the U2 shows - espcially Hannover in Red Zone - hopig for some great shots.

My only problem is that some of the settings mean that after taking the photo ot takes a few seconds forit to upload to memory card and be ready for another pic and I don't want to miss any photo ops! Do you find the same thing or do you know a setting where it is ready for another pic more quickly? I do have a setting of being able to do 5 pics in a second but don't knowif that will work at night time.