It was 30 years ago today, Mt. St. Helens exploded.

illumination70

WOW, I cannot believe today is the 30th anniversary of Mount Saint Helens blowing it's stack sending pumice and ash all over Washington state.

I was nine years old and on my way back to Spokane when the air began to smell as sulphor and sky turned black.  One of the Mothers who was driving said "maybe there's going to be a tornado" as she switched on the radio station where the announcer came on to say "we interrupt this program with an emergency, Mount Saint Helens a volcano in the Cascade Mountain rage has just exploded".

By the time the car with us girl scouts arrived in town the ash was falling from the sky as snow which was cool, but creepy at the same time.

When the station wagon pulled up in front of us girl scout's houses we were instructed to cover our mouths, noses and run FAST.

When my turn came, someone said "it's your turn, now" as I took a couple of deep breaths, covered half of my face and ran as soon as the car door swung open.

For those of us who aren't familiar with the May 18th, eruption, here is some footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJ9xZws7ro&feature=related

I really really wanted to go to Mt St Helens when I was in Washington but every tour company I had phoned about day tours were not running any tours as they didn't have enough numbers.

One of the things I missed. I am still planning a Volcanoes of the world travelling trip - I really want to spend some time in Hawaii seeing their volcanoes.

Oh... just one thing... you are SO giving away your age ;-) *tongue in cheek*

• Subscriber

Well, you should be proud of your age, lol . . . .

We just had a few relatives down to visit with us over the weekend. They are from Washington, near Mt. St.Helen's. They were telling us stories of the mountains of ash and the devastation, but they also said that the forest was regenerating well except for a favorite berry picking spot.

If you have a chance to visit Hawaii's volcanoes, GO!!! They are fantastic!!!

• Subscriber

I live just across the border on Vancouver Island and we heard the boom and several times there was a dusting of ash all over everything. I scooped some up and its in a pill bottle somewhere. I was 14 at the time.

• Subscriber

I know the lyrics go "It was twenty years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play"...but every time I read the title of this thread, I start to hear Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in my head. laugh.gif

I know this has nothing to do with Mt. St. Helens, but I just had to share. smile.gif

• Subscriber
I know the lyrics go "It was twenty years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play"...but every time I read the title of this thread, I start to hear Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in my head. laugh.gif

I know this has nothing to do with Mt. St. Helens, but I just had to share. smile.gif

Good one!  Did you ever see the crazy movie made in the late 70's with Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees and appearances by lots of other musicians?  I think U2 should remake that one, good for a laugh, ugh.

• Subscriber
  WOW, I cannot believe today is the 30th anniversary of Mount Saint Helens blowing it's stack sending pumice and ash all over Washington state.

I was nine years old and on my way back to Spokane when the air began to smell as sulphor and sky turned black.  One of the Mothers who was driving said "maybe there's going to be a tornado" as she switched on the radio station where the announcer came on to say "we interrupt this program with an emergency, Mount Saint Helens a volcano in the Cascade Mountain rage has just exploded".

By the time the car with us girl scouts arrived in town the ash was falling from the sky as snow which was cool, but creepy at the same time.

When the station wagon pulled up in front of us girl scout's houses we were instructed to cover our mouths, noses and run FAST.

When my turn came, someone said "it's your turn, now" as I took a couple of deep breaths, covered half of my face and ran as soon as the car door swung open.

For those of us who aren't familiar with the May 18th, eruption, here is some footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJ9xZws7ro&feature=related

Hmmm Ian Curtis of Joy Division died 30 years ago 18th May and then later that same year John Lennon was assassinated.

Now we have a volcano constantly erupting over Iceland and a whole lot of trouble in the Middle East.  I think we are in for a bit of a storm to put it mildly.bored.gif