Prediction: Glastonbury Will Be New Opening Show

SoCalU2Lover

• Subscriber

This back surgery is going to result in the first 7 shows being delayed, or perhaps individual shows may need to be cancelled.  This will give Bono the 3-4 weeks he needs to recuperate from the surgery.  He's certainly not going to be doing any tour preparations until mid-June, so I don't think they'll bother keeping the Western U.S. dates as is.

It works out well so far as not having to cancel everything completely.  But I don't see any way Bono will be doing any rehearsing for a few weeks.  Start with Glastonbury, then head to Minneapolis and finish off the Eastern U.S.

The Big problem I see is with the Anaheim shows.  Because the stage takes so long to setup and take down, you'll probably need an 8 day block where there are no Anaheim Angels games.  With the All Star Game at the same stadium in July, there really are no 8 day periods available until October.

There are also logistics problems with the other Baseball stadiums which had shows scheduled for June.  I think it's quite possible, that they might have to bring the tour back to the U.S. in late October/November.  Their problems are increased significantly due to the massive stage & production.  I imagine that Mr. McGuinness's head is beginning to hurt as much as Bono's back.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I really hope they dont start the tour in glastonbury , first nights are always dodgy for U2 and Glasto will be a massive gig for them. In the Uk all eyes are on Glastonbury that weekend as it is every year it makes headline news.

With the way No Line on the Horzion Flopped in the UK a bad show at glasto will kill them here.

• Subscriber

My guess is do whatever US shows they can, then do the Europe leg, then return to US in the autumn, perhaps adding Mexico, etc.? You're right that baseball stadiums will not be available during summer.

• Subscriber

Logistically this is bad and sympathies to all the fans who have SLC, Anaheim tickets etc.... but all I want is for him to get better soon. I'm sure that as soon as he is better the dates will be rearranged and put back on. I can only imagine how bad he is feeling about letting his fans down.

• Subscriber

They had these dates held since Last baseball season was still going on. Perhaps earlier. Baseball games are now blocked off, and come September, football games will have the priority since they're already locked in place. Perhaps they have a little wiggle room with the NFL if they need it so far as game times, if necessary.

I can see them having to make up a couple of dates during what they had scheduled as their break between U.S. & Europe. But with the demands of the stage setup, they're going to have to patchwork something together. Too many tickets sold to let these dates go.

Honestly, I think you're kinda exaggerating. I think at least Denver will be the opening show and if not, probably Seattle at the latest. Waiting until Glasto? Or late fall? Overstatement much? Surgery doesn't take that long, I've undergone surgery myself so I would know.

• Subscriber

The greater L.A./southern Cali. area has so many stadiums, fields, etc., if it isn't to be at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, it will be somewhere near enough . . . . . I'm still guessing autumn