The ever vomiting economy, how are you dealing with it?

U2Girl1966

• Subscriber

What have you cut back on? What have you given up? Have you or your husband/wife/whatever lost a job because of it? Is it affecting your tour plans?

Working in retail, I see it daily. Few customers, fewer sales. This past Christmas season seemed to bring out the worst in customer behavior. Rude, snippy, andvery demanding.

My boyfriend's hours have been drastically cut. But thanks to his savings and my income, we're hanging in there. We live pretty frugally anyway, butone thing that we've cut is eating out once a week.

It is NOT changing my plans on seeing U2, however. A girl has to have some priorities! wink.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spending as little as possible

buyer fewer albums and going to fewer concerts

going to the video rental store instead of Best Buy

going to the library instead of the bookstore

getting my hair done every 2 months instead of every month

yeah... you'd think me, being in the medical field would have better luck at finding a job, but no.

lost my other job in january and finally landed a new full time, yes full-time job at a new.. which i started lastweek and its going food so far and workingwith normal people. unlike my last job, it was a very very very bad idea getting involved in anyway.

even healthcare jobs are having mass layoffs.

in oklahoma here, it doesnt seem to have been hit as bad as some other states... so far, but neither of us are making anything near what we should. and yeah,cutting back is very important and big thing right now is to SAVE up. cause yeah, you never know whats gonna happen with the economy in the near future andwell, its important to save up and have that to fall back on in case you get kicked in the ass job-wise. .. or ya get sick, given the state of healthcare thesedays and nobody able to afford it anymore.

oh, and whatever you do.. dont get a job with anyone named Penny as your coworker. beware.

• Subscriber

I'm saving by making my lunches for work. and drinking less at the bars.

The one thing I can't figure out is why are new cars still so expensive. Went to go look at the GMC Arcadia today and they are not taking any $$ off thesticker price. Wake up GM your about to go out of business.

i'm looting the next door neighbors ... they are snow birds, so won't return until next winter ... by then, the crime scene will have been wiped cleanby me ... hehe ...

DISCLAIMER: i'm only joking folks ... i could never violate someone else's private property in such a manner ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I am getting out of the dollar. I have no debt except house so all frn (federal reserve notes) I am turning into gold/silver. I did that about 3 months ago. The dollar is gonna die, they hurried that up with the Fed buying 300B LT bonds. wow that's insane. That is saying WE WANT INFLATION.

Anyway, of course I am gonna plow some of the silver gains into U2 tickets.

Sadly we are seeing deflation in what we own and inflation in what we need.

Am buying less U2 memorabilia. I buy it for my own enjoyment, but why should i buy the cd, the cd+, the cd with book, the cd with book and extra and then theLP? I bought the cd+... will wait for the rest of it to hit the discount bin.

U2 (ie, Paul McGuiness) is great is taking money from fans. Not a criticism, is the opposite. They provide great products to serve everyone.... but right nowpeople are looking for value, not quantity.

I've never been even "middle class," so find it sadly amusing that much of the country (and the developed world) now find that they have to livelike I do!

So far, my job hasn't been affected (I work retail), and I've been paying my way through the early stages of college, so no student debt (yet). Beenadept at avoiding textbook purchases as much as possible, or get them from indie retailers online (through abe.com). I cook at home at bit more than usual;luckily, I'm a good cook! (Lunch today was some leftover chicken in peanut curry sauce over steamed potatoes.) But yeah, I'm buying less music(*sob*), though my college radio gig keeps my ears full. Shut down my old storage unit (rent kept going up, up, up) and have been clearing through old stuff,donating to charities, and discovering little treats for myself, too. Found a pair of jeans that actually fit over my ass--just when I was in need of buyingsome new pants! Oh, and found the big box of U2-cover music magazines, dating back to c.1987, stuff like NME, Sounds, etc. If only I had a scanner--I couldset up quite a cover-archive gallery for all of you....

Speaking of U2, looks like I might only see one show this year, if any. With no SF-area date set, I'd have to go to Las Vegas (most likely) to catch oneshow, and if the budget is weak, then no show at all.

Also, I don't drink, smoke, do recreational drugs, or feel it's an inalienable right to hit the bars every weekend and dance on tabletops. Alsodon't drive--I walk or use public transit for the most part (with the occasional taxi trip, when called for).

On the other hand, I live in San Francisco, so I pay rent that would make most Yanks keel over from shock (except for folks in NYC and a few other places). And there are some things I won't/can't give up, like Internet service (all but mandatory for school these days) and my daily newspapers (yes, plural!)

I gotta wonder: if/when the economy revs up again, will all the people who are now singing the praises of thrift, frugality, and simplicity turn around andact like hogs at the trough again?

-- eaplatt