Resilience

PiChU

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you ever see the movie WIT with Emma Thompson? It was hard to watch but done beautifully and made me think of your story Barbara. Emma's character is a cranky professor-type and fighting cancer alone and a nurse managed to crack through her tough exterior. Definitely worth renting but have kleenex ready!

Just found the Wiki plot for WIT

48-year-old Vivian Bearing is a professor of English literature, whose classes are known for their brevity and her intense knowledge of metaphysical poetry, especially the Holy Sonnets of John Donne. Her life takes a turn when she is diagnosed with metastatic Stage IV ovarian cancer. Oncologist Harvey Kelekian prescribes various chemotherapy treatments to treat her disease, and as she suffers through the various side-effects (such as fever, chills, vomiting, and abdominal pain), she attempts to put everything in perspective. The story periodically flashes back to previous moments in her life, including her childhood, her graduate school studies, and her career prior to her diagnosis. During the course of the film, she continually breaks the fourth wall by looking into the camera and expressing her feelings.

As she grows increasingly ill, Vivian agrees to undergo more tests and experimental treatments, even though she realizes the doctors treating her, including former student Jason Posner, see her less as someone to save and more as a guinea pig for their treatments. The only person who seems to care for her as a person is Susie Monahan, one of the nurses on the staff.

Late in Vivian's illness, the only visitor she receives in the hospital is her former graduate school professor and mentor, Evelyn Ashford, who reads her excerpts from The Runaway Bunny. As she nears the end of her life, Vivian regrets her insensitivity and realizes she should have been kinder to more people. In her time of greatest need, she learns that human compassion is of more profound importance than intellectual wit.

Vivian Bearing is dead at the end of the film, with her voiceover reciting "death, be not proud".

Just found the Wiki plot for WIT

48-year-old Vivian Bearing is a professor of English literature, whose classes are known for their brevity and her intense knowledge of metaphysical poetry, especially the Holy Sonnets of John Donne. Her life takes a turn when she is diagnosed with metastatic Stage IV ovarian cancer. Oncologist Harvey Kelekian prescribes various chemotherapy treatments to treat her disease, and as she suffers through the various side-effects (such as fever, chills, vomiting, and abdominal pain), she attempts to put everything in perspective. The story periodically flashes back to previous moments in her life, including her childhood, her graduate school studies, and her career prior to her diagnosis. During the course of the film, she continually breaks the fourth wall by looking into the camera and expressing her feelings.

As she grows increasingly ill, Vivian agrees to undergo more tests and experimental treatments, even though she realizes the doctors treating her, including former student Jason Posner, see her less as someone to save and more as a guinea pig for their treatments. The only person who seems to care for her as a person is Susie Monahan, one of the nurses on the staff.

Late in Vivian's illness, the only visitor she receives in the hospital is her former graduate school professor and mentor, Evelyn Ashford, who reads her excerpts from The Runaway Bunny. As she nears the end of her life, Vivian regrets her insensitivity and realizes she should have been kinder to more people. In her time of greatest need, she learns that human compassion is of more profound importance than intellectual wit.

Vivian Bearing is dead at the end of the film, with her voiceover reciting "death, be not proud".

Wow, I will have to check this one out.

There is a movie "Proof" about a mathematics professor who goes nuts and basically everyone forgets about him and refers to him in the past all the time. Nobody cares unless you are winning. At his funeral his daughter said "I didn't know dad had so many friends. Where have you all been these last four years", or something to that effect.

• Subscriber

[quote name='PiChU wrote:

shirley2010 wrote:

PiChU']Just wrote this on my blog, and something is telling me to put it here as well.

"Resilience"

There are too little things that make me angry, I'm always easy going, but there is one thing that really pisses me off.
I hate people who want to cause pity, I hate it when someone had a bad day and are so self absorbed thinking the world is too busy revolving around them to make it even worst, I hate it when others want to show off their disgraces, as if they wanted to say "Admire me! I've been through this much". Pity for me is the lowest form of disrespect, and the highest sign of how little you love yourself, If you had a bad day, get over yourself, don't try to appear strong for carrying a bad situation with a depressing face, I wish people could see how short life is to take it that seriously, I wish people could understand that true strength relies on your capacity to go on as if it was the best day of your life, because that's the hard way to do it, because anybody can cry.

"
Resilience
 in 
 is the positive capacity of people to 
 with 
 and 
. It also includes the ability to bounce back to 
 after a disruption. Thirdly, it can be used to indicate having an adaptive system that uses exposure to stress to provide resistance to future negative events
."

So we were wrong to feel pity when you posted that your boyfriend has stomach cancer?

Yes you were
because one: he doesn't have cancer its an ulcer
and two I was asking for prayers, positive vibes, not for people to say they were sorry.

My mistake I was confusing your boyfriend with the late Dennis Hopper who has recently died of stomach cancer.

You may not have been asking for pity but by posting a problem you evoke it in people whether that was your intention or not.

However, I do agree with your view on people who constantly complain all the time and are negative and just stay that way and you are better off staying away from people like this as they are know as "drains" compared to the more positive people who are "radiators".

Sometimes people are drowning in a stormy sea of negative emotions and it takes a lot of courage to ask for help and to ask for someone to throw them a life-line so that they can pull themselves out of it.

Note I said they can pull themselves out of it not that you should pull them out as you will end up being pulled in with them.

If I ever stop feeling pity, sympathy, empathy or compassion for other human beings or life forms on this planet then I should be encased in plastic as I will have turned into an artificial life form.

As far as people's problems go I think it is an honour and a privilege to help another human when they are in trouble I'm definately in the "we get to carry each other" boat.

Two of my friends were on a downward spiral recently and I made sure I made them laugh, and not just a giggle either a proper "oh my god my stomach is going to hurt tomorrow" howl. They felt a lot better afterwards and it made me feel good knowing that I had helped to make them feel better.

Sometimes people aren't asking for pity they are just wondering if someone else is in the same boat or has experienced what they are going through and has some advice.

I think you should surround yourself with a few more positive people Pichu as the people around you are too negative otherwise you wouldn't have started this post in the first place.

Keep your chin up hun, carry on lighting up the world around you, do not allow others to dim your light.

Big hugs and more positive vibes for you

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooooooooooooooooooxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with attracting people with the energy you want around you. I, in fact, just had this conversation with myself a day or two ago as I have noticed that I am currently surrounded by people caught up in dysfunctional communication and a real lack of team spirit at work ... and it's dragging me down lately and I'm catching myself being sucked into it with them which I hate!!!

so I shall endeavour to attract the kind of energy and light and action that I want to put OUT so that maybe it will start to come back to me as well.

• Subscriber

that film you mention rings a bell somewhere, voxie... i might have seen it... maybe in nursing-school?

will try to find it next time we go to the library.

i realise it was scout who mentionned the movie..sorry!