Lee Dewyze should not record Beautiful Day...

Tracy M

• Subscriber

... because it is obvious that he neither understands the song or believes in it. I had the misfortune to sit through both of his performances last week b/c my daughter is a huge Idol fan.... and I actually cried when he did it the first time. I waited this long to post because I thought maybe I was just over-reacting due to my disappointment over the postponement of the tour (we'd planned a 3,000 km motorcycle trip around the MI show)... but my belief that Lee should not record this song was confirmed last night when I listened to the 8 or 9 live versions of Beautiful Day that I have on my iPod.

Watching and listening to Lee indicates that he doesn't know what the song is about and doesn't believe in it. His performances were dispassionate and he messed up the lyrics. In fact, on both occasions, he left out a significant lyric. The full line is "Teach me, Lord." Lee just sings, "teach me." During the Elevation Tour, Bono would add, "Goal, goal, the goal is soul, soul... beautiful goal" at the end. This song is about new beginnings on many levels, one of which is the new beginning for someone who begins a personal relationship with Christ, and another of which is the new beginning that will happen on the "beautiful day" when we die and go to heaven. There is also the whole theme of Jubliee - starting fresh - that framed the song as part of Bono's work with the Drop the Debt campaign in 2000 (the new millenium), and the idea that, even if you don't believe in Jesus or God, every day is a new day to start over and try to get it right as we try to live "right" lives. Lee might like the song enough to cover it, but he doesn't get it and I'm disappointed that the boys have given him permission (I assume) to cover it.

Not to mention that I really feel the American Idol winner's first single should be their own stuff......but that's another post.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee might like the song enough to cover it, but he doesn't get it

Whoa ... that is big statement to make.

Calm down Tracy. If you do not like it, then don't buy it or listen to it.

Lee isn't the first kid to cover Beautiful Day - remember the Norweigan kid sang it on World Idol - and won! And I thought he sounded fantastic!

I'm going to Youtube the song right about now - just taking care of banana bread in the oven first...and I will get back to this thread and see if my opinion has changed.

It didn't impress me.

He has a nice voice...but didn't impress me.

I don't think it is fair to say that he doesn't know what the song is about or believe in it. That is unfair.

I can only comment on what I see when I see the performance and I could not feel any passion...it might be nerves, or it might be just that he sings all songs like that. What else sucks about this kids performance was the arrangement!

I hate doing the comparison thing...but its inevitable...when Kurt sang this song, it was the original arrangement - and not only does Kurt have a stunning voice - he sang the song with passion. Like he is putting his heart into it. Kurt brought out the same feeling I get out of this song I do when I hear Bono singing it.

I don't really mind/care if the song goes out as a cover single...whatever. It isn't that big a deal. Calm down Tracy.

• Subscriber

The original lyrics on ATYCLB are "Touch me, take me to that other place

Teach me, I know I'm not a hopeless case"

Bono would ad "love" to the line live, so it's not getting the line wrong or changing the meaning at all.

• Subscriber

The original lyrics on ATYCLB are "Touch me, take me to that other place

Teach me, I know I'm not a hopeless case"

Bono would ad "love" to the line live, so it's not getting the line wrong or changing the meaning at all.

• Subscriber

.. I was simply stating my opinion...calmly. It never ceases to amaze me the way so many people on this website automatically assume someone needs to "calm down," if they state an opinion to which others may not subscribe. 
I guess that's why I don't post every often.

If I told you to "calm down" every time you said something I disagreed with, I would have pages of posts, MacFoley! The difference is, I may disagree with your opinion at times, but I will always defend your right to say it.

And yes, I'm aware that others have covered the song as well. The 30-something guy who won a few seasons back did the song during the Idol competition (but did not record it), and I was fine with it, because he sang it with the passion it deserves.

• Subscriber

ok its your opion, i respect that, but i do think your maybe going a little ott on this one. as i said, its only a song, there is far worse to get heated up about in the world than a song.

• Subscriber
ok its your opion, i respect that, but i do think your maybe going a little ott on this one. as i said, its only a song, there is far worse to get heated up about in the world than a song.

You're right, Mac - lots more important stuff out there to worry about... I guess my original post came across as more "heated" than intended. I just don't think Lee "gets" the song, becuase I didn't see any emotion or passion when he performed it, and I know I am not alone there. I'm just saying that, if someone is going to cover a song, they should really be able to "sell it" that they are connected to that song, even if it is not their own.

[quote name='Tracy M wrote:

MacFoley']ok its your opion, i respect that, but i do think your maybe going a little ott on this one. as i said, its only a song, there is far worse to get heated up about in the world than a song.

You're right, Mac - lots more important stuff out there to worry about... I guess my original post came across as more "heated" than intended. I just don't think Lee "gets" the song, becuase I didn't see any emotion or passion when he performed it, and I know I am not alone there. I'm just saying that, if someone is going to cover a song, they should really be able to "sell it" that they are connected to that song, even if it is not their own.

I agree Tracy, he had no passion or emotion.  In fact, he had no passion or emotion in any song he sung. I just hope he doesn't cover any more U2 songs.  If he must, I hope he just keeps it to himself in front of his mirror in his bedroom.tongue.gif