What turned you on to U2?

agt

• Subscriber

A forum friend just asked me this very question. Here's my answer and hopefully people can add there's to the thread.

In 1984 when I was 11 years old a friend of mine had a cassette tape of Under A Blood Red Sky which he use to play non stop, I liked the music at the time but wasn't really ready for it then so it kinder slid by me.

A year later I was watching Live Aid on TV. The Bad performance was on and I loved it, the seed was sown but still I wasn't into buying and listening to them. My Duran Duran & Madonna obsession was still raging at this point.

However that very same year my family moved and everything changed! People in my new area were all watching Under A Blood Red Sky the video and listening to the Unforgettable Fire album.

I traded a load of stuff for the video, and that was it I was hooked! The big nail in my u2 coffin was The Joshua Tree in 1987 at 14 years old the album completly changed my musical life and I've been a fan ever since.

Has to be said though it would be nearly 20 years from that album before I would see them live. Up until 2004 I wasn't in a great financial position and having spent most weekends clubbing, left myself with very little money up until 2000.

I had worked hard for 10 years but never got the break I needed. Until the Vertigo tour I just didn't have the funds to see them live.

And since 1st seeing them on the Vertigo tour it's now non stop. I saw them at Wembley and Hampden Park last year and would have seen them at Glastonbury and Paris this year, however as we all know Glastonbury was just a dream.

Anyway thats enough of me, who's next?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

"Beautiful Day"

Back in 2000 Reamonn's "Supergirl" was THE song of the summer - everyone loved it, every radio station played it. I was in LOVE with it, I knew the song by heart (I still know). Long story scut short - after a few weeks being #1 they dropped to #2. I was devesated and had to find out who are the f***ers in #1.

It was U2 with "Beautiful Day". By the end of the song I had forgotten about Reamonn; U2 was my new favourite band. And has been ever since.

Then it was Walk On, Stuck in a Moment, Elevation - I'd watch Vh1 all day just to catch them play any U2 video.

This August will be 10 years since I know about U2 and since I like 'em.

• Subscriber

1987; with or without you-vid played on tv.... and i immediately fell in love with the hot bared chested singer, with the ponytail and the leather vest.....aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...<3<3<3 much to the surprise of my cousin who didnt like them at all!

after that there were the R&H album (loved desire, all i want is you)  had no idea bout their previous work (later on i remembered seeing boys in school wearing the boy and war-shirts... but i didnt make the connexion at the time) then this girl who sat next to me in class noticed the 'u2 in a heart' i drew on my pencilcase, backpack, ....and all my other school-material too, lol! she told me bout bullet the blue sky (her favourite song!) and JT-album, and made me a copy of hers (which i still have! sound is terrible, but i hold on to it for old time sakes). i played them for years, got married quite young and didnt buy a lot of cd's. so another friend lended me her pop and zooropa-albums, listen to them once....thought WTF?! and decided to just stick to the old u2. i did buy achtung baby when i came across it in a store couple of years later. then followed ATYCLB and when HTDAAB came out, i was hooked!! missed the concert cause it was round my graduation-time (went to nursing-school at the age of 29). i kept regretting that for years and promised myself, as soon a new album would come out: i would be on top of things!! i wouldnt miss out on another concert! i would refuse to die without ever seeing htem live!! ( you can laugh now but that was my biggest fearembarassed.gif)

so when i read bout the new album in the newspaper, i contacted an ex-colleague (who had been to the vertigo-gig in brussels) and she told me best thing to do was get a membership at u2.com and try the presale-code...so here i am!!

btw: i did give zooropa and pop another try, cause i loved some of the songs who were on U2-best of and 18-singles... and i totally love those albums now (i listen to them more then i listen too JT or R&H....)

oh, and agt: seems we have lots in common! lack of money to visit the early u2-concerts and our age too!wink.gif

Prince Bono, the greatest of us I have ever dreamed of. Bono, I've got to call him by his name. Prince Bono. His name does things to me. I have to keep it true. Its Prince Bono, yes, thats his name.  I love the Prince. Its a love that is not like love of man and woman, lust, desire for his flesh, its a PURE LOVE DESIRE TO HAVE THE PRINCE CLOSE TO ME. Its a beautiful kind of love that requires one to be spiritually clean. To love thru space, time and distance, freely, no conditions, and to love God above all. Bono is a need not a want. He is like the water fountain, it cures our thirst. Bono is a LOVE PROVOKING MAN, fills the soul with the love that it needs, he also gives light, hope, and is himself a symbol of PURE LOVE. When I think of my sweet Prince, I think of LOVE for everybody. If he didn't live within the concious of Realm constantly, Realm would not have this urges of isolation, desperation, need to meet the Prince. He is like a flower Realm misses. He is ONE MAN in the Universe who has the spirit of a man of grace. Realm's soul calls for him, it hungers and waits to see him soon. Realm sends PURE LOVE waves to Bono right now thru this computer.

Realmawake

Realmawake

• Subscriber

That geetar was what turned me on! I Will Follow was music to my ears, literally! It was like a breath of fresh air, so different. Then I heard New Year's Day 82/83 and that was it, I was hooked for life!  I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the music in the early 80's except The Police, U2 sounded so unique compared to the music of the time, I loved Bono screeching away happy.gif and I screeched away with him (am still doing it right now to Gloria on Under A Blood Red Sky!) and I had a crush on the drummer (still do!). I had a tough time of it on the home front growing up and at night I'd put the headphones on, turn up the volume and just escape into UFire, it was wonderful drifting away to it and drowning out my troubles. I suppose it's a cliche but their music just spoke a language to me that I understood and could relate to in a world where little seemed to make sense to me, it was a form of expression I could identify with and lose myself to I guess (does that make any sense?!) Gutted I missed them live in 91/92 when I was living in London, swot here thought her exam revision was more important at the time duh but regretted it the moment my friends shut the door and left for the gig! Then regretted it more when due a back injury I couldn't travel to see them for many years until last year that is, it was well worth the wait and I can't wait to do it again one day. I feel like they have been my life time friends tho they don't know me at allsmile.gif

• Subscriber

It was 1987. I was 15, and I saw the With or Without You video. It was an amazing song; but being 15, it was that beautiful blonde drummer that caught my eye, not the singer that everyone else here drools over. I quickly went out and bought the tapes of all U2 albums to date, and would listen to them all back to back, tormenting my younger sister with it. I was also lucky enough to see U2 during the Joshua Tree tour. I've been hooked ever since, and I still love that drummer.

• Subscriber

Zoo TV. A friend took me, I was a teenager. saw they clips on TV, knew who U2 was but never really had gotten into em before, but i was like "i have to see this circus while its in town"

went.

nothings been the same since

I don't honestly know! As a kid I watched Top of the pops like a junkie on crack (Every Thursday night at 7pm with Radio One Dj's as hosts lol) So I think subliminally I've always known of them fromwhen I was a kid and then I remember Achtung Baby and the adverts and the video for Even better than the real thing. For some reason Blue Peter (a kids tv show) actually showed how how they did that camera and not sure why I remember that!

Then the late 90's and POP again remember watching the video for Discotheque on top of the pops at number one with my mum and dad and then really wanting to go to the popmart tour ( big advert in NME if I remember rightly) then all the rest and then getting to NLOTH and the 360 tour and YES finally seeing  them!

So yes I think i've always some how known who U2 are and liked them!

and U2 DO have the sexiest rhythm section ever!

I liked reading these stories, I couldn't have described my love any better than the way some people have.

For me, in the early nineties, I guess when you'd say I started listening to music, I knew who U2 were, but only the popular songs...and I'd like their songs when I heard them on the radio.

I like them enough to tape the the Popmart in Mexico City show when it channeled on pay-tv. And I have not looked back since!

When I watched this show...it was like most concerts enjoyable... but THEN...I heard the Edge's screaming guitar solo in Until the End of the World ...and something changed within me.

I would rewind that solo...and rewind again...I'm not sure how many times I listened to that song.

Of course, with each listen of Until the end of the world, I'd end up listening to more of the concert again and again, connecting more and more with the songs.

I have to admit, I thought the props and Bonos outfits were ridiculous at first.

But that song Until the end of the world changed everything.

I guess you can say for me, The Edge turned me on!

So I bought Pop...and then Acthung baby and been a fan since. Everything has followed from there.

They didn't tour Aus for elevation - but I was into bootlegs back then - downloading some, a friend helped me out with others, and I fell deeper and deeper in love with this band.

In 2006, I saw them in Australia once in Sydney, in Adelaide and twice in Melbourne for the Vertigo tour. I met some great people on this tour, spend countless hours in the GA lines. The shows were everything I had dreamed.

Last year I saw them in Vancouver...I really wanted GA again, but tickets were sold out and I don't think I could handle waiting in the line all day anyway. The show was fantastic ...highlights for me were hearing the new material live.

Anyway...I guess the simple answer is The Edge turned me on.