Should U2 have cut mistakes from the final cut of U2 360 Live at The Rose Bowl?

wezman

Now that the "Breathe" video from the Rose Bowl DVD is on the site with Bono's gaff on the first verse edited out, Would you rather have had the mistakes made by U2 edited out or kept in the final version of the DVD? I personally think not editing mistakes out makes for a better live dvd, because it makes the experience of watching a live concert DVD more like actually being there. What do you think? 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only types of mistakes that should be edited out are the production mistakes (such as unwanted feedback), things that the band doesn't have control of. With that said, I think the next time they record a DVD again, it will be back to doing it for more than one night at the same venue.

• Subscriber

I think that they should have left it as it was, gaff and all. Remember during Elevation (Communications cd) when he starts coughing and ends up saying he had a frog in his throat? I LOVE that part and I'm so glad they didn't edit it out!

Live recordings should be like the best honey:  Raw, unfiltered and sweet. 

I can understand U2's reflex to try to tidy up any live goofs, but my inner librarian/archivist also sees these recordings as valuable documentation of where U2 were at a given time in their career. Save the production slickness for studio work!

Besides, The Edge's on-stage snit got left in the Boston DVD, didn't it?  (Or did he just get outvoted by the other three guys?) He thought they had butchered "Gone," but there it is and I've listened to it plenty and my ears have yet to fall off. 

-- eaplatt

• Subscriber

Now that the "Breathe" video from the Rose Bowl DVD is on the site with Bono's gaff on the first verse edited out, Would you rather have had the mistakes made by U2 edited out or kept in the final version of the DVD? I personally think not editing mistakes out makes for a better live dvd, because it makes the experience of watching a live concert DVD more like actually being there. What do you think? 

Yeah. The Chicago version of Elevation was let down severely by Bono's frog in the throat. Not to mention Desire on the Mexico City DVD.

I think that they should have left it as it was, gaff and all. Remember during Elevation (Communications cd) when he starts coughing and ends up saying he had a frog in his throat? I LOVE that part and I'm so glad they didn't edit it out!

agreed if I didn't want the funny bits or the sad bits 'd listen to the album The whole point of going to a gig is to see the band in their natural form warts and all! So what if The Edge plays a bum note or Bono forgets the lyrics it's life and it happens and that's what makes it so wonderful lol