Tight Pants Banned! What do you think about it?

xtraspicy62

MEULABOH, Indonesia — Authorities in a devoutly Islamic district of Indonesia's Aceh province have distributed 20,000 long skirts and prohibited shops from selling tight dresses as a regulation banning Muslim women from wearing revealing clothing took effect Thursday.

The long skirts are to be given to Muslim women caught violating the dress code during a two-month campaign to enforce the regulation, said Ramli Mansur, head of West Aceh district.

Islamic police will determine whether a woman's clothing violates the dress code, he said.

During raids Thursday, Islamic police caught 18 women traveling on motorbikes who were wearing traditional headscarves but were also dressed in jeans. Each woman was given a long skirt and her pants were confiscated. They were released from police custody after giving their identities and receiving advice from Islamic preachers.

"I am not wearing sexy outfits, but they caught me like a terrorist only because of my jeans," said Imma, a 40-year-old housewife who uses only one name. She argued that wearing jeans is more comfortable when she travels by motorbike.

Motorbikes are commonly used by both men and women in Indonesia.

"The rule applies only to Muslim residents in West Aceh," Mansur told The Associated Press. "We don't enforce it for non-Muslims, but are asking them to respect us."

He said any shopkeepers caught violating restrictions on selling short skirts and jeans would face a revocation of their business licenses.

No merchants have been seen displaying jeans or tight clothing in stores in West Aceh district in recent weeks.

The regulation is the latest effort to promote strict moral values in the world's most populous Muslim-majority nation, where most of the roughly 200 million Muslims practice a moderate form of the faith.

It does not set out a specific punishment for violators, but says "moral sanctions" will be imposed by local leaders.

Mansur said women caught violating the ban more than three times could face two weeks in detention.

Rights groups say the regulation violates international treaties and the Indonesian constitution.

Aceh, a semiautonomous region, made news last year when its provincial parliament passed an Islamic, or Shariah, law making adultery punishable by stoning to death. It also has imposed prison sentences and public lashings for homosexuals and pedophiles.

Islamic law is not enforced across the vast island nation. But bans on drinking alcohol, gambling and kissing in public, among other activities, have been enforced by some more conservative local governments in recent years.

Opinion polls show that a majority of Indonesians oppose the restrictions on dress and behavior, which are being pushed by hard-liners in the secular democracy.

• Subscriber

i'm probably not the best person to answer to this, cause A: i don like religion telling people what to like, eat, wear and think anyway! B: i don like men telling women what to like, eat, wear.... well, you know what i'm saying....

makes me apreciate the fact i'm living in this little, bit ridiculous but at least FREE country even more. but i feel for the young, modern women in places like this. will the oppression of women (and people in general) ever stop?

couple of weeks ago i read an article about afghanistan and its female police-officers. just because they have a job and walk in public without their husband accompanying them, they're considered to be prostitutes by some religious nationals. they're been insulted, cursed at, spit at even... and in some parts of towns their life is in danger...

so many of our sisters are suffering all around the world.

yesterday i was talking to a friend at work, we were discussing books we'd recommend to eachother. i told her bout the book i read by waris dirie, bout female circumcision... and she was disgusted by it, i told her how mothers, who suffered from this still permitted it to be done with their daughters, cause they wanna save them from a fate even worse. cause men don wanna marry a girl who didnt have this done to her body, she'd be looked at as an immoral person and treated as an outcast. its heartbreaking, and a good thing people are being educated.... but it will be a long battle to root out this tradition.

• Subscriber

@ 123: girl! cant believe you say that!! not being able to wear my jeans outside my house would kill me! really, its my favourite outfit :-(

@ kings: LOL!! but even then; women should be able to make their own fashion-mistakes! its our right!

I'll hold on to my freedom

May not be what you want from me

Just the way it's got to be

• Subscriber

I'd like to see anywhere in any book of religion (whether it is the bible, Koran etc...) which tells us that women must cover themselves.

Clothing is a way to show who we are. I conform to dress regulations when I am at work - but that is it!

No religion will ever tell me how I should dress - and that is not because I disrespect religions but I odn't like people using religion to disrespect me!

unforunatly this is happening in all countries that have muslim comunitys not just Indonesia. I remember at high school their were to girls who had to wear trousers as they had to cover themselves up. Also i've seen familly's where the woman is dressed head to toe in a black burka outfits while the kids and farther dress normally!

The thing is it's NOT religion that is telling them they have to dress like that even though that's how they put it across which is sad to be honest! It's just ashme that people have to live like this! To me it's to much controll over women and should be stopped!

Why is there NO controll over the men?