Kiss - the face painting - creepy props

voxxiegirl

hmm KISS are an american galm rock band from the 70's and i love them. Saw them in Manchester and it was amazing and loud ( went with my dad and he couldn't believe that his ears were ringing lol he asked me if it would go hehe)

I love the make up and was amazed how many people wore it!

and as for what they are trying to be well it goes a little something like this

With their makeup and costumes, they took on the personae of comic book-style characters: The Demon (Simmons), Starchild (Stanley), Spaceman (Frehley), and Catman (Criss). The band explains that the fans were the ones who ultimately chose their makeup designs. The "Demon" makeup reflected Simmons's cynicism and dark elements, as well as his affection for comic books. Paul Stanley became the "Starchild" because of his tendency to be referred to as the "starry-eyed lover" and "hopeless romantic." Ace Frehley's "Spaceman" makeup was a reflection of him wanting to go for a ride in a space ship and supposedly being from another planet. Peter Criss's "Catman" makeup was in accordance with the belief that Criss had nine lives because of his rough childhood in Brooklyn

The only diffrence that the Spaceman is Tommy Thayer and the Catman is Eric Singer.

I think the only thing I find strange about it is that Gene Simmons is 60 and his hair lol but I don't think KISS are creepy at all I think they rock even if  I really want to bitch slap Paul Stanley (Bono sure has a better voice than him)

Also I was at the back of the NEM arena right and the amount of pyro stuff they used I could feel the heat! ALSO KISS did most of the 80's unmasked wasn't untill the orignal band got back together that they put the make up back on in 1998 when they did Psycho Circus!

hmm i know to much but I love reading about the bands I like!

• Subscriber

I saw them back in the 70's while I was still in high school. They were loud and good fun back then. Glad to hear they still have it, Claire, although I haven't paid attention to them in decades, lol.

I saw them back in the 70's while I was still in high school. They were loud and good fun back then. Glad to hear they still have it, Claire, although I haven't paid attention to them in decades, lol.

Well now i've seen them live probbably wont again!

• Subscriber

My first concert in 1974 was Kiss. Makeup was starting to be part of a lot of bands at this time well into the 80's.

Kiss is made of four band members that use the makeup to gain a on stage personality.

Gene Simmons Bassist and his make up is of a demon.

Ace Frehley Lead guitarist and his makeup is of a spaceman.

Paul Stanley Lead vocals and rythym guitarist and his makeup is a rockstar

Peter Chriss drummer and his makeup is that of a cat.

They're not about looking creepy. There are several bands out there more creepy looking than them.

For Kiss, it's about 'rock and rolling all night and partying every day"

• Subscriber

My first concert in 1974 was Kiss. Makeup was starting to be part of a lot of bands at this time well into the 80's.

Kiss is made of four band members that use the makeup to gain a on stage personality.

They're not about looking creepy. There are several bands out there more creepy looking than them.

• Subscriber

• Subscriber

I don't quite get it - what are they trying to be?

Now, Voxxiegirl, this could be one of the dumbest questions...like evah!

What are they trying to be?

A Rock and Roll Star!

A Demon from the depths of Rock and Roll Hell!

An Spaceman! Dood!

And...erm.....for a while a Cat...then a Fox. Woteva.

pimp.gif

[quote name='razspazz wrote:

voxxiegirl']I don't quite get it - what are they trying to be?

Now, Voxxiegirl, this could be one of the dumbest questions...like evah!

Oh thank you.

I think they look idiotic with that face paint...they're grown men after all, not one of those children entertainment bands...they might as well come on stage saying "hey kids, what do you think of our face paint" and all the kiddies in the crowd will be cheering in applause and the merchandise stands can have face painting like at children parties.

The dude with the tongue is super creepy. I find the props creepy considering they are adult men!

Whatever turns you on I suppose.

I don't mind their music...but the props are a real turn off.