In Ireland (...) NY(times)

actarus

A wonderful piece by Bono, he states so beautifully the significance of the moment. 38 years later and 12 years of an investigation the truth is finally reached and delivered by a new British Prime Minister very eloquently. The people of Ireland and Britian have endured more then enough for too long.

It's the era of appologies around the globe eh. Harper to First Nations and Inuit in Canada. Australia's PM before that to the Aboriginal peoples there ... who else am I forgetting. The Pope to children who were abused though that could use a bit more follow through I think.

There's something to be said for it.

The Truth and Reconciliation hearings are beginning in Canada this weekend and will move around the country for the next year or two. I've been reporting on some of it in BC and here in northern Saskatchewan and it's tough stuff to hear but we have to hear it for the individuals who suffered in residential schools and all of Canada to move beyond the past.

I hope the Bloody Sunday inquest brings some measure of peace to the families of the victims.

Scout, I knew nothing about the Indian Residential Schools and the TRC until you mentioned it here. I looked it up to see what it was. So much damage has been done to people out of ignorance and intolerance of our differences. These are all good steps to healing, hopefully.

• Subscriber

Doesnt change anything , doesnt promise it wont happen ever again does it, only recognizes the damages , but at the end of the day some will learn and some will see for the better and some wont.