Relationship between pop art and Pop album's music

Eleogm

Hi everyone, I've been searching a bit about this, what's the relation of Pop Art with U2's Pop album music, but haven't found much about it. I'm curious of the whole image the band gave to the album as well as the tour and I was wondering if somebody knows about this, real facts, or just what you think it is the reason. why they chose pop art with this specific music.

Thanks for the thoughts and have an awesome day! :)

• Subscriber

I think there are some references to the connection in the book U2 by U2?� Also there was a promotional documentary out in 1997 called U2 a year in pop, a European and USA version (this included some interviews with various pop artists - someone on this site maybe able to send you a copy - i would but my PC is broke and still doesn't burn discs.

There was also a promo CD called U2 Talk POP again someone here may have a copy they could make for you.

The tour program if anyones got a copy may have some info in that they could scan and send?� mine got trashed in Rotterdam along with my brain.

http://www.u2.com/discography/index/album/albumId/4011/tagName/studio_albums

Sorry can't be much more of a help....

Hi everyone, I've been searching a bit about this, what's the relation of Pop Art with U2's Pop album music, but haven't found much about it. I'm curious of the whole image the band gave to the album as well as the tour and I was wondering if somebody knows about this, real facts, or just what you think it is the reason. why they chose pop art with this specific music.

Thanks for the thoughts and have an awesome day! :)

I have no idea - but I think it is one of the best album covers they have done.

So the question is...what on earth does the effect referred to as Pop Art from a photographer/artists world supposed to represent and do? I am sure it may have some significance apart from it being called Pop Art and U2 using it for their album cover because it happened to have the word Pop in the effect.

Am I making any sense? It is late for me as I have been doing shift work over 3 days now, my brain is frying.

• Subscriber

Pop Pop

Pop art takes the ordinary and makes it extraordinary.

Pop

Pop is about Irony.

'Looking for baby Jesus under the trash'.

It's about the trashiest most throwaway medium...pop music, containing soul.

And remember what Andy Warhol used to say.....

B: I wanted to make a film that showed how sad and lyrical ti is for those two old ladies to be living in those rooms full of newspapers and cats.

A: You shouldn't make it sad. You should just say, "This is how people today are doing things."

Pop art : the ironic exemplification of honesty. Or not.

pimp.gif

• Subscriber

Bono: There has been some very serious and scholarly work done on pop art and what it meant in the world. some described 'Pop' as the death of God, suggesting that there is no eternal, all we had left was the moment, the snapshot, the surface. so now it is an album about the death of God. I'm just allowing myself to express those big questions. even though they weren't particularly mine, I felt they were in the minds of a lot of people around me. 

Bono: There has been some very serious and scholarly work done on pop art and what it meant in the world. some described 'Pop' as the death of God, suggesting that there is no eternal, all we had left was the moment, the snapshot, the surface. so now it is an album about the death of God. I'm just allowing myself to express those big questions. even though they weren't particularly mine, I felt they were in the minds of a lot of people around me. 
That will do it for me wink.gif

the death of God thing makes sense!

About the album Pop, it just puts a lot of irony in the lyrics, that kind of "in your face" attitude, and maybe I'm projecting myself here but its as if they all (the songs) summed up to be the result of someone seeking spirituality and finding out there is no sense in that seeking, then throwing away all of it just for the thrill of "in the moment" kind of living. Also I think they did a cooljob with the Any Warhol cover

Other than that, I love POP!!!!

• Subscriber
the death of God thing makes sense!

About the album Pop, it just puts a lot of irony in the lyrics, that kind of "in your face" attitude, and maybe I'm projecting myself here but its as if they all (the songs) summed up to be the result of someone seeking spirituality and finding out there is no sense in that seeking, then throwing away all of it just for the thrill of "in the moment" kind of living. Also I think they did a cooljob with the Any Warhol cover

Other than that, I love POP!!!!

U2 by U2 continues saying about how the whole thing was totally ironic - to the whole KMart thing but people just didn't get it. And the stage for the tour was ironic too - but it seemed to go over some people's heads