Quiz time

mcgurk76

• Subscriber

My friend lives in Florida.  He flew to Moscow, Russia.  I asked him the following questions:  Was it a direct flight?  Did he fly west over the US and into Russia?  He answered no.  Then it got me thinking.  If you lived in Seattle, Washington and flew to Moscow, would they fly East or West?  I would say West, because it would be the quicker route going to Russia!

• Subscriber

If you are flying from Seattle you would go via NYC and therefore you would fly east to get to Moscow.

And from LA it is going Westwards too. It would seem that to go west would be easier and quicker but then Moscow is in the european part of Russia therefore distance wise by plane it would be quicker by going east. Also if the plane has to stop to refuel it would be easier with airports eastbound as there may not be suitable places if you fly west.

I will ask my friend who works for BA tomorrow to see if she knows any more on this topic!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

If you lived in Seattle, Washington and flew to Moscow, would they fly East or West? I would say West, because it would be the quicker route going to Russia!

- Nope, the quickest way to Moscow is through polar areas, probably, north-east.

And from LA it is going Westwards too. It would seem that to go west would be easier and quicker but then Moscow is in the european part of Russia therefore distance wise by plane it would be quicker by going east. Also if the plane has to stop to refuel it would be easier with airports eastbound as there may not be suitable places if you fly west.

- No. Btw, Aeroflot operates a direct flight from Moscow to LAX (on the 767), the flight lasts over 12 hours. (Actually, it is considered one of the longest (if not the longest!) route for the Boeng 767 in the world.)

And if you flight from LAX, you do not flight East, but rather NORTH-EAST from LA (through central part of Canada, Greenland, you pass by Iceland, fly over Scandinavian countries and then arrive to Moscow). That's the shortest route and not that one we can imagine looking at a 2D map. :-)