Rediscovering old songs

scout6

I have rediscovered a few U2 tunes lately and am quite enjoying the groove.

Numb

Hawkmoon

to name two.

Has anyone else gone back and found songs that maybe they did not appreciate the first time they were released or that they had forgotten about since falling prey to only listening to the classic few songs that radio stations are willing to play?

I think you should ask the band themselves....a lot of fans are disappointed that the supposed setlist, for this leg of the tour, is almost identical to the first part. Also replacing Ultraviolet w/HMTMKMKM...why can't they just have both? Having previewed the opening sequence w/Space Oddity, some new material and Beautiful Day is not a hit too. Also, downers like In A Little While, Stuck In A Moment, WOWY and MLK might still be in the picture.

The only reason that they're still sticking w/it is that they intended to do this if Bono didn't hurt his back. We'll see!

• Subscriber

Numb

Hawkmoon

to name two.

Has anyone else gone back and found songs that maybe they did not appreciate the first time they were released or that they had forgotten about since falling prey to only listening to the classic few songs that radio stations are willing to play?

Absolutely. I also find when I listen to older live recordings, that I have to take a moment to appreciate what a great band U2 truly is. Especially when Exit from Rattle and Hum comes on my iPod or Running To Stand Still. I love the ZooTV version too, but the simplicity of the JT tour version from Rattle and Hum is so beautifully simplistic and just... right. Speaking of R & H.  I just heard Love Rescue Me and was so into that when it came on.

I'll also pop a CD in once in awhile, like Pop or Zooropa and really get into that.

• Subscriber

360 tour, while exciting and looking expensive, it seems u2 shows are more about special effects and lights. space stations and the screen, rather than the music.

dont get me wrong, i love this band, but these kind of question would be good to ask them. i suggested like a QandA with the band on zootopia, and put suggestions in.

i like what muse did where they got fans to pick from a bunch of songs to play on the last tour.

as for the songs you mention they are 2 of the best u2 songs. hawkmoon is quality! i love the simple music while it builds and builds! it was one of my first memories of rattle and hum.

numb is so ahead of its time! edge rapping you cant get so far away from u2 if you tried! and live it would be great on 360 as it would give edge a solo spot. he did mention it in a pre tour interview, about it being possible to play live.

i think u2 are too predictable now when it comes to live. maybe they might shake it up as the tour goes and maybe they chose the set to suit bono's back, so lets not write of the tour just yet.

360 tour, while exciting and looking expensive, it seems u2 shows are more about special effects and lights. space stations and the screen, rather than the music.

dont get me wrong, i love this band, but these kind of question would be good to ask them. i suggested like a QandA with the band on zootopia, and put suggestions in.

i like what muse did where they got fans to pick from a bunch of songs to play on the last tour.

as for the songs you mention they are 2 of the best u2 songs. hawkmoon is quality! i love the simple music while it builds and builds! it was one of my first memories of rattle and hum.

numb is so ahead of its time! edge rapping you cant get so far away from u2 if you tried! and live it would be great on 360 as it would give edge a solo spot. he did mention it in a pre tour interview, about it being possible to play live.

i think u2 are too predictable now when it comes to live. maybe they might shake it up as the tour goes and maybe they chose the set to suit bono's back, so lets not write of the tour just yet.

To add to it, being the 'Greatest Rock Band in the World' part of it is taking risks. I think they're trying to avoid the whole Popmart thing (where they said they basically failed). But with The Edge saying that Pearl Jam is the best live band out there, they need to do what makes PJ good live....and that's to play a different setlist every night. I know with all the production involved, they might rely on Mr. Lawless more (sequencing - backing tracks of orchestral and ambient sounds), as well as timing the songs with SEMPTE...for the light show and video. Let U2 test out Willie Wiliams, and his crew of LDs (lighting designers) to adlib on the light show. Joe O' Herlihy can recall the settings of most U2 songs, on that DigiCo D5. He also has a backup. As for The Edge, he's very picky on his in-ear-monitors. Certain guitar amps are fed to his ear piece on certain songs...but again, there's 3 monitor engineers (1 for Bono, 1 for The Edge and the 3rd for the 3), and their consoles can also recall their songs.

One thing I do notice though is that U2 have stuck with a basic set list throughout a tour, with some minor adjustments. Even in ZooTV and PopMart, they pretty much had the same opening and ending. Some minor changes came when they released Zooropa, and some songs needed to be reworked live for PopMart.

• Subscriber

Numb

Hawkmoon

to name two.

Definitely. To go not so far back, When I Look at the World is one that I recently rediscovered. I frequently have it floating around in my head. I've been listening to a lot of U2 lately (more than normal for me), so I've been hearing a lot of songs I haven't listened to in a while. Surrender is one that stands out in some of my recent listening.