Glastonbury and North Star

celticfc09

• Subscriber

ok, so i have been thinking some more about these two songs and their relation to the future of the band.

they have said that there are a few that they want to tryout live to see if they work. one is rock'n'roll, the other is more meditative ballad.

the band are also working on a few project that may turn out to become an album. again, one is r'n'r the other is meditative.

so i see it is that there will only be one album that follows in the near future. one of these two. and i think playing these two songs is the tryout for the idea of each album. i dont think the band is trying out these specific songs, i think they are trying to gage their fans opinion on which of the two albums we watch to see. the meditative songs of ascent or the r'n'r other project, and i think the decision will be made based on the crowds reaction to any new songs they play.

and based on responses here and on other sites, it seems public opinion is more in favor of the r'n'r (i want that one too)
and if that truly is the overarching public view and my theory is correct, does that mean Songs of Ascent will not happen?

also look at the lack of NLOTH songs, could it be that the band have given up on trying to sell the world their newest album and are ready to move on to another sound as opposed to the continuation album?

i say just give us both

I think these two songs could appear on the same album really - both could have easily been on HTDAAB.

The Stingray Guitar on the other hand has really sparked my interest - I'd love to hear more stuff like that thanks.

The safest bet for the band would be to release the "rock" album and either provide the "meditative" EP as a bonus with that or, just offer the latter to fans for purchase via the U2.com website or i-Tunes.

The band are supposedly also working on a dance record (I hope it's not just a collection of greatest hits remixes)and the score for the Spiderman musical at the same time. I think we'll see most of these projects surface before the end of 2010 (either as U2 or Passengers projects).

Me thinks the 360 gigs will be very different in 2011.

• Subscriber

yeah i read that they said the next album is to be an "application" to modern music??

frightened to think what it could be.

but i think the reassurance is that the dance album as far as i know is old songs so they would release that as a side something. i could see them releasing the rock'n'roll album then releasing a mini SOA EP, just like coldplay did with their last album.... wouldn't really help stop the image that U2 is following Coldplay's lead......

yeah i read that they said the next album is to be an "application" to modern music??

frightened to think what it could be.

but i think the reassurance is that the dance album as far as i know is old songs so they would release that as a side something. i could see them releasing the rock'n'roll album then releasing a mini SOA EP, just like coldplay did with their last album.... wouldn't really help stop the image that U2 is following Coldplay's lead......

Well, So sorry to crush this tangent, but Under a Blood Red Sky, Wide Awake In America, 7, and several other EP's by U2 predate ColdPlay by something like 25 years

So, bring on a sampler with 2 each or 8 minutes from each of the 4.  TEase and "always leave them wanting more" are showbiz flirty maxims.

Glad to get this unfinished preview!

• Subscriber

I have always loved U2. But I have to admit, that I feel like they are trying to find ways to have another commercial success as they did with HTDAAB.

I came from a third world country. I started listening to U2 at age 13 without really understanding what bono was saying song. Cause English is not my native language. And I got hooked up by Zooropa.  The falsetto on Lemon amazed me. It was like listening to music from another planet.

U2 should follow their instincts as musicians. Forget about the money. You already have everything anyother artist wish. The Glastonburry song is just another Vertigo, Another elevation, another all because of you, another Stand Up Comedy.  You are trying too hard to make a great rock song. You have awesome soul lifting songs, but for me they do not qualify as pure rock songs. WTSHNN, NYD, BD.

As a fan i prefer the more raw U2 (War, October) the more spiritual (Unforgettable Fire) the committed U2 (The Joshua Tree), the Experimental at its best (Achtung Baby / Zooropa / Pop)

Don't get me wrong I like their last 3 albums, specially some specific tunes like Kite, Beautiful Day, Walk On, Grace, A Man and a woman, Original of the species. But there is something that has been missing for a long time.