Out of Control

1love

• Subscriber

I had an "ah-ha" moment recently.  I heard someone use the phrase "out of control" and it came across differently than I was used to.  It came across as "not in control" as opposed to "out of control."

Of course, I immediately wondered about U2's song with the same title.  I always thought the song "Out of Control" was just about being in a state of going crazy... a lack of self control.  Right?  When they play it live everyone goes nuts, crazy.  But its about coming to the realization that the most important things in life (birth, death, etc.) are not in our control.  That was the "ah-ha" moment.

"Boys and girls go to school

And girls they make children (BIRTH)

Not like this one." - By the way this is Bono's first prophetic statement.  (He is not the normal child).

"I fought fate

There's blood at the garden gate

The man said childhood

It's in his childhood

One day I'll die (DEATH)
The choice will not be mine

Will it be too late?

You can't fight fate.

I had the feeling it was out of control

I was of the opinion it was out of control."

Has anyone noticed Bono's been referencing "control" a lot lately?  The latest I've heard is:

"Some things you just can’t control. Sometimes we just have to let go." - Glastonbury

P.S. - Happy B-Day Mr. The Edge.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

interestig, maybe the back-injury and following surgery right before starting touring again (and messing up all their plans that way) made bono realise even more that you cant control life... things happen, even for no reason at all and all you can do sometime is accept and go with the flow? but than again the glastonbury-song was finished before the accident? eyes.gifoh, never mind then...grin.gif

[quote name='1love wrote:

123love']Question is ,sometimes we just have to let go , of what ??

Hes been through a hard time if hes written these lyrics himself..

Exactly!! of what?

Our attachment to specific outcomes; people, places, things, our ego; judgement, illlusions, duality.

Personally, I like being a human and all that that entails (today).  I especially like having a body, and I'm rather fond of this particular body.  I'm none to sure exactly what 'they' are talking about as far as illusions go.  Last time I tried to walk through one of those illusion walls, I didn't get very far. happy.gif

• Subscriber

of what?

I'm not sure about the song "Glastonbury."  But your right about "Moment of Surrender." 

"I'm ready

To take it to the street

Ready for the shuffle

Ready for the deal

Ready to let go
Of the steering wheel" - Zoo Station

Have you notice right before U2 played "Moment of Surrender," live, Bono sang "Ultraviolet" while holding a steering wheel?  Then during "With or without you" he was starting to let go.  Then during "Moment of Surrender" he had completely let go of the steering wheel.

"I had driven to the scene of the accident

And I sat there waiting for me" - Unknown Caller

This is where it gets weird.  Somehow "Unknown Caller"  ties in with "Moment of Surrender."  I believe during "Unknown Caller," Bono is describing a situation where a Believer is in the act of sin and is immediately convicted.  The character has a flashback (a vision over visibility) of his conversion.  (Time pauses as the numbers fall off the clock face.)  In order to experience true surrender, we need to reach that point of total brokenness.  Bono describes this as a car crash.  Isn't it funny that while you are driving, your holding the steering wheel?  Sometimes it takes a car crash to let go.

It is about a Higher Power. 

"Every day I die again, and again I'm reborn" - Breathe

This is the Christian motto.  One day at a time.  Die to self... live for Christ.  The problem is some days are better than others, even for Christians.

• Subscriber

[quote name='1love wrote:

123love']Question is ,sometimes we just have to let go , of what ??

Hes been through a hard time if hes written these lyrics himself..

Exactly!! of what?

Well, he certainly wrote those lyrics himself. And as far as what he'd been through up to that point in his life? Bono's mother had passed away when he was a teenager.  That's prettytraumatic. I Will Follow (among other songs; MOFO, Lemon, Tomorrow as examples) waswritten about his mother.

The whole song:

Monday morning
Eighteen years dawning
I said how long.
Say how long.

It was one dull morning
I woke the world with bawling
I was so sad
They were so glad.

I was of the opinion it was out of control.

Boys and girls to school
And girls they make children
Not like this one.

I was of the feeling it was out of control
I had the opinion it was out of control.

I fought fate
There's blood at the garden gate
The man said childhood
It's in his childhood

One day I'll die
The choice will not be mine
Will it be too late?
You can't fight fate.

The lyrics suggest he was 18 when the song was written. I always thought the song was about life and how we can't control the changes and such. Lots of changes and your view of your changing world at 18 can be very overwhelming.