U2 myths

Bohsman

• Subscriber

Let's catelogue the many myths surrounding U2 and what they are supposed to have done. I'll get the ball rolling;

Bono did NOT say "We've gotta go away and dream it all up again..." on New Years Eve 1989 during the Lovetown concert in Dublin.  I was there. He in fact said it three nights earlier.....

Over to ya...

• Subscriber

Myth:  U2 sold out with Achtung Baby.  The truth is in the music:

"I'm ready, ready for the laughing gas" - Zoo Station

"And I must be an acrobat

To talk like this

And act like that" - Acrobat

"Her lips say one thing

Her movements something else" - So Cruel

"One day you'll look back, and you'll see" - Mysterious Ways

Let's catelogue the many myths surrounding U2 and what they are supposed to have done. I'll get the ball rolling;

Bono did NOT say "We've gotta go away and dream it all up again..." on New Years Eve 1989 during the Lovetown concert in Dublin.  I was there. He in fact said it three nights earlier.....

Over to ya...

Close, but not quite.  Definitely not uttered at the NY's Eve show, but it was in fact said at the show the night before (Dec. 30), not earlier in their run of shows at the Point.  I should know; I got in to three of the four shows that week, including the 12/30 and 12/31 shows, so I got to hear the original speech myself!

-- eaplatt

Speaking of Bono's onstage utterances:

Remember the hoo-ha over Bono's use of the f-bomb at the Grammy Awards, back in the 90s?  Guess it was an award for Zooropa.  Everyone--including the fan-FAQs online--quote the man as saying, "...fuck up the mainstream" as part of the speech.  But out here on the West Coast, the local network affiliate ran a live--and apparently delay-free--feed of the awards from the East Coast, so I got to hear it raw and FCC-unfriendly. I recall hearing it as "fuck the mainstream," no "up" in there. Which does change the meaning of the line, doesn't it?

My thought at the time:  Yeah, Bono, better fuck the mainstream before it fucks you! 

eyes.gif

-- eaplatt

Myth:  U2 sold out with Achtung Baby.  The truth is in the music:

Achtung Baby?  Jeez, everyone knows that U2 sold out with The Joshua Tree

Before JT, they sold out with The Unforgettable Fire.

Before UF, they sold out with War.

Before that, they sold out with October.

I guess only Boy remains pure....

--