Analysing the lyric: Breath

nazhira

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Well we know that Bono's family on his mother's side were travelling sales people so that is where the start of the song comes from.

Every day I die again, and again I'm reborn

Every day I have to find the courage

To walk out into the street

With arms out

Got a love you can't defeat

Neither down or out

There's nothing you have that I need

I can breathe

Breathe now

To me these lines reflect the pressures which we have in live these days - being assaulted from every direction til we don't know who and where we are - and we need to get ourselves together and have the self pride and worth to face all of this and take a deep breath and know inside that we are strong and can deal with all the shit we get given. And the love we can't defeat could either be the strength to love ourselves or the love of God which will always be with us. And once we know that we can breathe freely and know that things will be ok in the end.

Would write more about my thoughts on this and i will over the weekend but getting to late to think in so much detail! Hope what I have written makes sense!

And I can see what you mean about it relating to media - that theme fits into it well.

• Subscriber

i just thought it was about someone with agrophobia i needc to try harder lol

it could be claire! We all interpret lyrics in different ways, agrophobia makes sense as he talks about having the courage to walk out and be strong in the street so it does all link together well, and the breathing a sigh of relief that someone can face that.

This is why I love their lyrics so much as they can be so personal to each and every one of us. Lyrics are like poetry; they are personal to both the writer and the audience as individuals and we are affected by the words in different ways.

But will stop the English teacher drivel now and go to bed!

Right girls,

but he seems to be trying to defend him self from some wich wants to sell something to him. He can breath maybe because he realized that is not true, is not important,...the sounds are in our eyes... like is more important than visual...

• Subscriber

Right girls,

but he seems to be trying to defend him self from some wich wants to sell something to him. He can breath maybe because he realized that is not true, is not important,...the sounds are in our eyes... like is more important than visual...

Is it something being sold directly at the door Naz? Or is that just a metaphor for the images, thoughts ideas etc... that are thrown at us on the TV and also as soon as we open the door and step out onto the street. It makes me think of the way that we are always being sold products directly and subliminaly - TV adverts, clothing labels, endorsments, being told we need to have this this or that and to behave in certain ways and to feel certain ways and people are always telling us how to life our lives and how to think and feel and dress etc....And maybe saying that he has realized that we don't need all of that and we just need to breathe in and out and get that feeling of freedom. And just looking at the last line of what I have written it made me think of Beatiful Day with the lines at the end of 'what you don't have you don't need it now' - but  I always see links between their songs.

• Subscriber

i think its a song about various stages in bono's life. the first verse looks at a date, 16th june nine o' five door bell rings.............

so something happened on the 16th of june when a travelling salesman came ringing on bono's door? also dont forget that bono wrote most of this album in different characters, so this song might not actually be about him and his life.

but then he says he wants to stay alive a bit longer...................could be someone he met in africa? dying from something? and he tells bono (or this character) 3 things he needs to know.

but then bono interupts, and says............................coming from a long line of traveling sales people on my mother's side

I wasn't gonna buy just anyone's cockatoo...........................well as we know bono's mothers side are a list of traveling salesmen. and we know that bono would have been one if he wasnt in a band to begin with. also he does say now that he is really like one now, going round and selling us his music and his work. so this line IS about the b'man i think. and then replies, why should i invite a complete stranger into MY home...........................HIS home. bono's home....................but which one? the one in ireland? france? new york? i think it could be new york, the whole 16th of june thing............................and then asks us?....................would you?????????????? so would you????????????????

also most of the first verse sounds like bits of the news flash's. tv broacasters are always on about bringing the news into YOUR home. and people who normally present these articles are complete strangers to us. so its like turning on the television and watching new broadcasts and selling us things on tv, which is what adverts normally do, telling our minds to BUY these products, but at the same time we have no option but to let these people into our homes.

you could also say that maybe the message is directed towards Jehovah'sWitnesses. they ring on doorbells at early hours of the morning dontthey. and thentry to sell you reasons as to. so take it how you like, but there aremany ways to looking into meaning, mostly though with u2 it can be downto god in someway. (not saying u2 or bono is a JW)

and then we come to the chorus............

everyday i find the courage to walk out into thestreet.......................well, we do sometimes. who knows whatlurks in the streets these days. could bethe streets of africa? streets of new york? streets of your own? therest of the chorus i think its easy to work out.

and now we come to your question, ju ju man.................

and I'm coming down with some new Asian virus Ju Ju man, Ju Ju man Doc says you're fine, or dying. Please

well

taken from wikipedia...............

Juju or Ju-Ju is a word of West African origin, derived from theFrench joujou (toy) [1], that refers to the supernatural power ascribedto an object; orfetish. It can also refer to the use of such objects, making it a formof witchcraft.[2]

"An object of any kind superstitiously venerated by West Africannative tribes, and used as a charm, amulet, or means of protection; afetish. Also thesupernatural or magical power attributed to such objects, or the systemof observances connected therewith; also a ban or interdiction effectedby means ofsuch an object (corresponding to the Polynesian taboo)." [3]

The term juju, and the practices associated with it, travelled tothe Americas from West Africa with the influx of slaves and stillsurvives in some areas,particularly among the various groups of Maroons, who have tended topreserve their African traditions.

so basically a witch doctor who has told bono or some character ofthis new asian virus. as in the saying a ju ju man lowers the doctors.qualified as doctors.as bono often goes on about doctors all the time also, going back tothe ju ju man, they kind of lowers the doctor and will tell you thatyou are either fine,or dying, no inbetween. so in bono's response he is saying oh please.like give me a break. or please tell me? its hard to point a finger onthat,but...............

Good both of you...

"also most of the first verse sounds like bits of the news flash's. tv broacasters are always on about bringing the news into YOUR home. and people who normally present these articles are complete strangers to us. so its like turning on the television and watching new broadcasts and selling us things on tv, which is what adverts normally do, telling our minds to BUY these products, but at the same time we have no option but to let these people into our homes."

This is what I'm saying. Specially news: the stocks and the asian virus, news and IDEAS we are buying. They are strangers, why let them in so easy in our homes. And the cure or not, maybe, because on TV the reality depends on who are telling you how it's like and the interests they defend....

• Subscriber

June 16... I wonder why June 16 specifically for this song? I remember reading that Bloomsday is June 16, and that's because of the James Joyce novel Ulysses. It takes place on June 16. I wonder if there might be some sort of connection or something. I'm just starting to read Ulysses now, so I suppose I'll find out.