U2 & Carbon Dioxide

austy

Can some one please explain this the transportation of the claw has  been estimated to add at least 65,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere ? 

Bono then even requests that fans car pool on the way to the gig to "cut down on carbon emissions".Huh ?

Isn't that just slightly hypocritical !Global warming isn't a joke , this adds to the effect of GLOBAL  hotter weather , even  to those the starving in Africa ! , Perhaps a contribution by U2 ( and an admission of just how bad this stage is to the environment)  of their millions horded in Swiss banks wouldn't go astray  to global warming research would be a start  !

• Subscriber

Love love the new members (post #2 I see Austy) who read something, by someone that obviously did not go to a show (read the same article and the description of the stage is incorrect) and just run with it

Scissors anyone?

• Subscriber

Which is why the whole stage and transportation is being carbon ofsetted to compensate for the carbon footprint which the claw has made.

I recently watched BBC News. There was a story about offsetting, and one woman said offsetting is just an excuse to keep polluting, a 'get-out-of-jail-free card' of sorts.

• Subscriber

Love love the new members (post #2 I see Austy) who read something, by someone that obviously did not go to a show (read the same article and the description of the stage is incorrect) and just run with it

Scissors anyone?

*hands Baja a huge pair of scissors*

• Subscriber

[quote name='peterferris8 wrote:

Zhivvy']Which is why the whole stage and transportation is being carbon ofsetted to compensate for the carbon footprint which the claw has made.

I recently watched BBC News. There was a story about offsetting, and one woman said offsetting is just an excuse to keep polluting, a 'get-out-of-jail-free card' of sorts.I agree in a way with you Peter it is an excuse to continue polluting. But on the other hand it is better than doing nothing at all. I know trapsing 3 claws all over the world is very polluting and it is probably a huge amount of CO2 which is being released into the atmosphere, but how much pollution is produced by other bands too? It never seems to be brought up with other groups? At at least the band has stood up and admitted it and are trying to counteract the pollution a bit

• Subscriber

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

peterferris8 wrote:

Zhivvy']Which is why the whole stage and transportation is being carbon ofsetted to compensate for the carbon footprint which the claw has made.

I recently watched BBC News. There was a story about offsetting, and one woman said offsetting is just an excuse to keep polluting, a 'get-out-of-jail-free card' of sorts.
I agree in a way with you Peter it is an excuse to continue polluting. But on the other hand it is better than doing nothing at all. I know trapsing 3 claws all over the world is very polluting and it is probably a huge amount of CO2 which is being released into the atmosphere, but how much pollution is produced by other bands too? It never seems to be brought up with other groups? At at least the band has stood up and admitted it and are trying to counteract the pollution a bit

I read the article over on atu2.com and just ignored it. Zhivvy you are right, of course it is polluting. But as you say other bands don't get all this bad press. Nobody is having a go at Muse who are on tour at the moment.

I am a very 'green' person, I cycle and catch buses, am very mindful when shopping, always check where foods have come from etc. I think it is a better to try and make a difference by everyday lifestyle. That cheap T shirt from primark has come half way round the world. Driving 4x4's, the school run, its often no more than a couple of miles. So, if we add up all our travel and purchasing over a whole lifetime I think we will all pollute far more than the 360 tour.

Spoiler [+]
We all are polluting the environment.
The energy we use has a cost to the environment. Offsetting is a positive step. Communicating to your legislators that you want them to work towards renewable and sustainable energy sources is the key. Nobody can live oil-free or coal-free because those are the main energy sources. Things like wind, nuclear (the waste can be recycled), and solar are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. There are exciting advances being made with bio-energies.
Stop looking to complain at what others are doing (or not doing) and look at yourself... what are YOU doing or not doing? Are you educating yourself and others? Are you educating your legislators? Are you organizing and taking action? Or are you just complaining? Be constructive and you will make a positive difference. ;)
Complaining to people who can't make an immediate change is simply bitching. Educate yourself about your candidates and vote at elections (if they are held in your part of the world) and then hold them accountable by writing letters and making phone calls to question or praise their actions. Educate yourself about the products you consume and then vote with your dollars, euro's, loonies, yen, yuan, kwan, and duckets. The money you spend is the real key to getting change! Haha. XD