The Biggest question about U2...

diocletiano

• Subscriber

I've been a U2 fan since I was 12, and in the last years I've had this question in my head.

Why the 4 irish boys do not play their most beautiful songs, like MOFO, Lemon, Heartland, Love is Blindness (I don't even mention Acrobat..)
I think that is because they got to satisfy the biggest part of their audience, those who know U2 only for their more "commercial" songs, like Vertigo or Beautiful Day..
What do you people think about that? Do we have any hope to hear, maybe in the next years, those song, or do we have to resign and accept the idea that they're never gonna play them? frown.gif
Saludos from Italy.

Oh, you made a mistake diocletes. You made the biggest mistake of your u2 forum life. You started off with .... "I've been a fan since..." That statement right there annoys so many people on here. You're going to go to u2.com hell for that. You'll pay! You'll pay.

Anways, enough about that. Welcome to zootopia. A place where u2 fans love to give out about stuff. A place where arguments rise, and topics fall.

Now, enough of my shite and more of yours. Let me look at what you said and give an opinion...

MOFO will never be played at a U2 concert. Never. It can't be played. Wanting that to be played is like wanting your pet cat to bark. Lemon, although beautiful in album, is disastrous in concert. For Bono to sing that, he'd have to take a 2 hour break before he sung the next song. Think about that while enjoying your espresso. Heartland is a melody that does sit well with the masses. It sits on the shoulders of fans but wobbles on the heads of others. It would fall like a lead balloon. Maybe. Love is blindness. Fact. Love is like wearing egg splattered goggles. Try and wipe them clean and you make a messier mess. What you thought you saw is no longer seen. That's deep. Too deep. So deep that the bottom is impossible to see.

• Subscriber

No, 'xcuse me, those songs that I mentioned were only examples.

With "Older Songs" I'm thinking at those thousands of songs, that belongs to their repertoire, and that, for reasons unknown, they never play!

I'm thinking at songs like Gone, Please, Do you feel loved, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Zooropa... I'm thinking at songs like God Part II, Out of Control, Cedars of Lebanon, Yahweh, Last Night On Earth, In God's Country, Even Better Than The Real Thing, ACROBAT!

I'm thinking to ALL the songs that they never play!

You've thought a lot about this. You really have. You must have good time management. You should go into time management consultancy. If I had the time you have to think about these pertinent questions, I'd be right out there in front of The Dragon's Den people and pitching my idea to them. I would be asking them for 300,000 and give them a 25% stake in my fantastic proposal.

U2 have a lot of songs that they don't sing. They never do "Lady with the Spinning Head". They never to "Love Comes Tumbling". They usually play about 20 songs, give or take, in any given concert. Now, think about this: At each concert, they have to play at least half of their new albums songs. That already wittles their setlist down to 15. Then they have to play the usual suspects: One, With Or Without You, Mysterious Ways, Walk On, Where the Streets Have No Name. That means they have 10 songs left to play. From those ten, they usually play songs that they know fans/semi fans/casual fans/General public want to hear. They then chose those final 10 from their vast portfolio. It's better for them to appeal to the masses than the fanatic for obvious reasons.

Now, I want you to imagine that you're not a U2 fan. Imagine that you're name is Paul and you work in a bottle factory and you wear tight jeans and have a t-shirt that has Metallica emblazoned across it. Now, imagine that another friend of yours comes into your place of work and says, "Paul, I got tickets to a U2 concert next week. Would you like to come". Paul responds, "I dunno, Mike. I don't really like U2. Bono talks to much shite for my liking". Mike retorts, "Paul, I'm telling you - you won't regret it. U2 put on a fantastic show. Even if you don't like U2, you'll like the show. Trust me."

So Paul is somewhat convinced, accepts the free ticket and goes to the concert. Paul only knows a handful of U2's songs and none of them include: The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Zooropa... I'm thinking at songs like God Part II, Out of Control, Cedars of Lebanon, Yahweh, Last Night On Earth, In God's Country, Even Better Than The Real Thing, ACROBAT.

Imagine his disgust if he went to a U2 concert and he heard those songs played? I think he'd go home really pissed off. In fact, he'd never go to a U2 concert again and he'd tell all his mates that he went to one of the shittiest concerts he was ever at: A U2 concert.

Now, I hope this analogy helped you as much as it helped me. It helped me loads. I'm now fully loaded no my helpfullness.

• Subscriber

Yeah man, i agree for the part of Paul the bottle-maker, but not for the setlist composition one.

They do not play half of their new album! They are only playing Magnificent, Boots, Go Crazy and Moment!

I don't understand why they feel the necessity of playing songs like In a Little While, Elevation, Mysterious ways and stuff like that at every concert!

They could at least make a sort of alternation!

• Subscriber

I'm guessing that in a little while has been introduced this time round because it is a slow song - and it means that Bono can rest up a little and not run around the stage as much. If you look at the setlist this year I think it has taken into consideration that Bono has had surgery and can't keep going for as long without risking injury. - Miss sarjevo has been added too this year - once again i think to slow down the pace a little - altohugh i love that song and never complain about hearing it.

Also you mention some songs from Pop not being played. We had a snippet of Discoteque at the end of Crazy in Vienna this year and it was great but I don't think that we'll get many Pop songs ever - mores the pity. The band have always said how they don't lke the album and always felt that it was rushed and not ready to be released and not happy with it. So if the band don't particularly like the album they won't play any of it. But I personally would love to hear more songs from Pop as I do really like the album.

• Subscriber

that this particular album, that the band themselves don really like (maybe even feel a little embaressed about?) is loved by so many fans? everywhere you go on these boards, fans are asking for POP-songs..... it seems strange that the band still don appreciate the album more...

ps: as you can see i'm checking out the older threads that i missed during my nite-shifts, lol!

U2 said that their last tour will be the 'Greatest Hits' tour. I wish they played more of their old stuff, and less of their hits too. However, when you play in a stadium, the majority are those who are more familiar with their radio hits. They want to make the stadium an intimate setting. Songs that are more ideal in smaller venues, they want to play in stadiums. Also, it's about the the theme. I don't like In A Little While, but it's here to stay. They made a video, up in the ISS, to go along with it....it wasn't meant for Bono to rest on, since it was already being played before his back injury. Also, it has to do with their production. I'll give it to them, the setlist is better than their 1st leg. Here's some songs, on their current setlist that they need to take out:

1. Beautiful Day

2. Mysterious Ways

3. In A Little While

4. With Or Without You

5. Moment Of Surrender

6. Elevation

Here's what they need to replace it with:

1. The Unforgettable Fire (bring this back!)

2. Ultraviolet (have this and HMTMKMKM played in the same set)

3. Mofo

4. God II

5. Out Of Control

6. Red Hill Mining Town

I still think they should leave a couple of slots, in the setlist, where the fans are given a choice of songs to pick from....now that's intimacy in a stadium setting!

U2 said that their last tour will be the 'Greatest Hits' tour. I wish they played more of their old stuff, and less of their hits too. However, when you play in a stadium, the majority are those who are more familiar with their radio hits. They want to make the stadium an intimate setting. Songs that are more ideal in smaller venues, they want to play in stadiums. Also, it's about the the theme. I don't like In A Little While, but it's here to stay. They made a video, up in the ISS, to go along with it....it wasn't meant for Bono to rest on, since it was already being played before his back injury. Also, it has to do with their production. I'll give it to them, the setlist is better than their 1st leg. Here's some songs, on their current setlist that they need to take out:

1. Beautiful Day

2. Mysterious Ways

3. In A Little While

4. With Or Without You

5. Moment Of Surrender

6. Elevation

3. Mofo

4. God II

5. Out Of Control

6. Red Hill Mining Town

I still think they should leave a couple of slots, in the setlist, where the fans are given a choice of songs to pick from....now that's intimacy in a stadium setting!

Interesting you make that point that their last tour will be a greatest hits tour. If the band's next album aint any good, I suspect their next tour will be their last.

• Subscriber

1. Beautiful Day

2. Mysterious Ways

3. In A Little While

4. With Or Without You

5. Moment Of Surrender

6. Elevation

3. Mofo

4. God II

5. Out Of Control

6. Red Hill Mining Town

you talk too much sense!laugh.gif