Will the new album be a hybrid?

Fortitude

Thinking out aloud here - this is similar to the Rattle & Hum format I guess, but it could be a real possibility before the end of 2010.

1. Return of the Stingray Guitar

2. Glastonbury

3. Every Breaking Wave

4. Get on your boots - LIVE

5. Magnificent – LIVE

6. Soon

7. North Star

8. *new upbeat song or instrumental track*

9. Winter

10. Breathe – LIVE

11. Moment of Surrender - LIVE

12. Mercy

13. *instrumental track to close*

• Subscriber

I'm guessing you have seen the work on atu2.co, for those that don't hear is what they are figuring could be the new album:

[*]"Return of the Stingray Guitar" - an instrumental rock track that U2 has been playing to start shows on the European U2 360 tour in 2010

[*]"Glastonbury" - another song that U2 is performed on tour; U2 wrote this song shortly after the end of the 2009 U2 360 tour and planned to premiere it at the Glastonbury Festival in June 2010

[*]"Soon" - this is the name of the song U2 used as the intro music when the band took the stage on the 2009 U2 360 Tour; it appeared on the 7-inch, orange vinyl that accompanied the U2 360 at the Rose Bowl super deluxe DVD box set, and was previously said to be called "Kingdom Of Your Love"

[*]"Tripoli" (unused from No Line On The Horizon) In a video on U2.com, Brian Eno explains that this song became "Fez" on No Line On The Horizon.

[*]"Winter" (unused from No Line On The Horizon) - this song appears in the Jim Sheridan film, Brothers

[*]"Every Breaking Wave" (Bono told Rolling Stone this is a "surging anthem" and would be the first single.)

[*]"If I Could Live My Life Again" - Bono says this song is "inspired by the great Argentinian poet Jorge Luis Borges." Bono said he had just begun the song while speaking with author Michka Assayas in December, 2005. Their interview appears as the extra material in the paperback version of Bono in Conversation with Michka Assayas.

[*]"Love Is All We Have Left" - a song Bono named during his May, 2006, trip to Africa as one that he had recently written. "It’s like an old Broadway tune. I thought it was a Frank Sinatra song," Bono said.

[*]"North Star," a song from the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. In this CCM article, Smith describes the song as a tribute to Johnny Cash. Bono and Edge performed an acoustic version of this song on the opening night of the 2010 U2 360 tour in Turin.

[*]"Mercy", one of the last songs to get cut from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, described in Blender magazine as "a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish"

[*]"Lead Me In The Way I Should Go" -- a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in this February, 2003, interview with Bono in Grammy Magazine

[*]"You Can't Give Away Your Heart" - a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in SPIN magazine

Anyway, I'm not too worried what the new album will be, I have appreciated all their albums for different reasons and eagerly anticipate any release.  Like every other fan though I would love to hear some new stuff.  But I'm itching for some of it to get a play down in NZ/OZ.

• Subscriber

I'm guessing you have seen the work on atu2.co, for those that don't hear is what they are figuring could be the new album:

[*]"Return of the Stingray Guitar" - an instrumental rock track that U2 has been playing to start shows on the European U2 360 tour in 2010

[*]"Glastonbury" - another song that U2 is performed on tour; U2 wrote this song shortly after the end of the 2009 U2 360 tour and planned to premiere it at the Glastonbury Festival in June 2010

[*]"Soon" - this is the name of the song U2 used as the intro music when the band took the stage on the 2009 U2 360 Tour; it appeared on the 7-inch, orange vinyl that accompanied the U2 360 at the Rose Bowl super deluxe DVD box set, and was previously said to be called "Kingdom Of Your Love"

[*]"Tripoli" (unused from No Line On The Horizon) In a video on U2.com, Brian Eno explains that this song became "Fez" on No Line On The Horizon.

[*]"Winter" (unused from No Line On The Horizon) - this song appears in the Jim Sheridan film, Brothers

[*]"Every Breaking Wave" (Bono told Rolling Stone this is a "surging anthem" and would be the first single.)

[*]"If I Could Live My Life Again" - Bono says this song is "inspired by the great Argentinian poet Jorge Luis Borges." Bono said he had just begun the song while speaking with author Michka Assayas in December, 2005. Their interview appears as the extra material in the paperback version of Bono in Conversation with Michka Assayas.

[*]"Love Is All We Have Left" - a song Bono named during his May, 2006, trip to Africa as one that he had recently written. "It’s like an old Broadway tune. I thought it was a Frank Sinatra song," Bono said.

[*]"North Star," a song from the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. In this CCM article, Smith describes the song as a tribute to Johnny Cash. Bono and Edge performed an acoustic version of this song on the opening night of the 2010 U2 360 tour in Turin.

[*]"Mercy", one of the last songs to get cut from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, described in Blender magazine as "a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish"

[*]"Lead Me In The Way I Should Go" -- a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in this February, 2003, interview with Bono in Grammy Magazine

[*]"You Can't Give Away Your Heart" - a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in SPIN magazine

Anyway, I'm not too worried what the new album will be, I have appreciated all their albums for different reasons and eagerly anticipate any release.  Like every other fan though I would love to hear some new stuff.  But I'm itching for some of it to get a play down in NZ/OZ.

i would die without that website

Yeah most of those songs on atu2.com have been listed on that website since before NLOTH was released though!!

I am not convinced that the band has the large work or ready material they previously claimed to - which is why I think we could be getting a hybrid "mid tour" album - or perhaps only just an EP of live material which may include new songs played live.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Yeah most of those songs on atu2.com have been listed on that website since before NLOTH was released though!!

I am not convinced that the band has the large work or ready material they previously claimed to - which is why I think we could be getting a hybrid "mid tour" album - or perhaps only just an EP of live material which may include new songs played live.

Interesting comment from Willie in one of his latest entries:

"They are very obviously having a wonderful time on this tour, absolutely at the top of their game, playing killer shows whilst writing, recording and performing new material in their spare time. There’s definitely a touch of the Zoo spirit in the air."

Regardless of it being a full album or a hybrid it still bodes well for a new album soonish, hopefully it comes out just prior to the first akld show so that we get some other new songs down here as well as mercy, glasto etc

• Subscriber

This is just guessing, so my opinion:

I don't think that Soon or Stingray Guitar will make to any album, they are little riffs they've worked a bit with to make them intros to the concerts, Soon has already been released

Winter has been released in two versions, I don't see why it should be in an album in the future

Glastonbury could make the album, but I think there are also probabilities of having it as a bonus track.

In my opinion we know with a degree of certainty about Every Breaking Wave, North Star and Mercy. I know Bono has said that Every Breaking Wave could be their first single, but I think they will end in these positions:

1. North Star

3. Mercy

either 5 or 11 (or the last one ) Every Breaking Wave

I can't see them mixing live and studio songs again, the result in Rattle and Hum was quite poor and they have consistently left the live versions for Dvds.

With that I mean I think Mercy or North Star will be the first single and that we don't really know much of the rest of the album, which I apreciate, I like being surprised.