Unholy clouds reflecting in a minaret

You're so high above me, higher than everyone

Where are you in the Cedars of Lebanon?

Choose your enemies carefully cos they will define you

Make them interesting cos in some ways they will mind you

They're not there in the beginning but when your story ends

Gonna last with you longer than your friend

• Subscriber

I haven't really had a good think about this yet but as a starting point thought it was interesting that the Bman says in the discography:

"So the guy in (new song) 'Cedars of Lebanon' is a war correspondent. I meet a lot of them in my other life. And I have a lot of empathy because I'd probably be one (laughs)"

• Subscriber

Yesterday I spent asleep

Woke up in my clothes in a dirty heap

Spent the night trying to make a deadline

Squeezing complicated lives into a simple headline

Did mean to start commenting on this the other day but forgot sorry!!!

As Reid says we know that this is based on the character of a war correspndant. The first verse sounds like a diary entry - just letting us know what is going on in his life. You get the idea that it is a lonely routine. Sitting by himself trying to make sense of war and violence around him - trying to explain what is happening at the other side of the world in just a few words and struggling to do that. Working and feeling the pressure of needing to meet a deadline before he falls asleep where he is working.

• Subscriber

"Spent the night trying to make a deadline

Squeezing complicated lives into a simple headline"

Sounds like a dig at the news media to me. How can you take the difficult circumstances of the soldiers, citizens and politicans involved in this battle and make people on the otherside of the world understand it?  We all think we know what is going on based in the world based but do we truly know?  The dig at the media continues if you interpret "simple headline" to mean ratings.

or, I might be wrong....

• Subscriber

"Spent the night trying to make a deadline

Sounds like a dig at the news media to me. How can you take the difficult circumstances of the soldiers, citizens and politicans involved in this battle and make people on the otherside of the world understand it?  We all think we know what is going on based in the world based but do we truly know?  The dig at the media continues if you interpret "simple headline" to mean ratings.

or, I might be wrong....

Exactly Reid - how do these people make us understand? And the 'simple headline' could mean ratings - in more than one way. Not sure about your media but in the UK the 'red top' tabloids are the bigger selling papers aimed at sensationalism and money making. And the audience which they are generally aimed at only see the headlines, so the headlines have to be simple and to the point or at least attract the attention and too much information would not sell.

• Subscriber

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

Reid NZ']"Spent the night trying to make a deadline

or, I might be wrong....

Exactly Reid - how do these people make us understand? And the 'simple headline' could mean ratings - in more than one way. Not sure about your media but in the UK the 'red top' tabloids are the bigger selling papers aimed at sensationalism and money making. And the audience which they are generally aimed at only see the headlines, so the headlines have to be simple and to the point or at least attract the attention and too much information would not sell.

That makes sense & fits with the idea of " geniuses of compression, You say you're not going to leave the truth alone". But beauty of those lines being the not so subtle hint that people are trying to fit more into their lives, the idea that we are all 'time poor'  as opposed to the sad boring lives that some live "the worst of us a long drawn out confession"

• Subscriber

The worst of us are a long drawn out confession

The best of us are geniuses of compression

this can reflect us all in general like you say - are we full of words and confessions and analysing our actions and thoughts and discussing every part of our lives. Or trying to fit it all in, manage our time, multi task etc...

Or does it reflect the world of media in which we live and the news? Are the better newsreporters the ones who can compact all their ideas into a simple headline and tell the news precisely and exactly without the fancy overfilled sensationalism etc... and drawn out confessions?

• Subscriber

Good for you guys !

You are keeping my attention...

Whe nI have been awake a little longer and the coffee is working I will continue on to verse 2 - and after this song can we do 'magnificent' please as I came up with some really good ideas for it the other day!happy.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

nazhira']Good for you guys !

You are keeping my attention...

Whe nI have been awake a little longer and the coffee is working I will continue on to verse 2 - and after this song can we do 'magnificent' please as I came up with some really good ideas for it the other day!happy.gifNo definitely no magnificent until your homework is done & you have done all your chorestongue.gif