This broke my heart :: RIP Bwalya Liteta April 17th 1998 to August 14th 2010

Claire T

We are very sorry to announce that Bwalya Liteta who features in The Lazarus Effect film passed away on Saturday, August 14th at the age of 12. She had been battling complications from AIDS and ultimately died from heart failure.

Bwalya was an HIV positive child who had lost both her parents. (RED) first met her in May 2009 and filmed her recovery from near death to robust health with the help of ARVs. Everyone who met her was inspired by her quiet determination, and delighted in her progress and the way she lit up over the fact that she was now top of her school and back playing her favorite games with her friends.

Nearly half a million children will be born with HIV this year - but with increased investments and the right policies, it’s possible that we could have a world where virtually no child is born with HIV by 2015. Many organizations including (RED), the Global Fund, ONE, and the Gates Foundation are focused on making this promise a reality.

Bwalya’s death is a tragic loss for all those who knew and loved her. We send our deepest sympathy to her family and the medical staff who cared for her.

comment on it here

I don't know about anyone else who had watched The Lazarus Effect but Bwalya was the one who stood out for me as it amazed me that she wanted to get better so she could get an education and play games and she made me smile as it seemed she had a determined soul to get back to being "normal" and to enjoying her life again!

RIP Bwalya 

• Subscriber

Such a pity that the HIV finally beat her. But from watching the film the extra life and the quality which they get from their, sometimes short, life shows the amazing effect that these drugs have, which is why I will continue supporting (Red)

Such a pity that the HIV finally beat her. But from watching the film the extra life and the quality which they get from their, sometimes short, life shows the amazing effect that these drugs have, which is why I will continue supporting (Red)

yes I'm already thinking of getting flowers for my mum's 60th through (red) to think that 20p is all it takes it's well worth it

• Subscriber

[quote name='Claire T wrote:

Zhivvy']Such a pity that the HIV finally beat her. But from watching the film the extra life and the quality which they get from their, sometimes short, life shows the amazing effect that these drugs have, which is why I will continue supporting (Red)

yes I'm already thinking of getting flowers for my mum's 60th through (red) to think that 20p is all it takes it's well worth it

I got the minatures red roses for my mum for mother's day of me and my brother - they were so tiny and dainty - and gorgeous. Will use them every time I send flowers now.

• Subscriber

The angels wept one April day

A child was born who could not stay

A year for every month we spend

The price we pay as she ascends

So needlessly we waste our time

what's yours is yours what's mine is mine

but now we're stopped upon this track

to see the selflessness we lack

The rain keeps falling every day

reflecting tears we send your way

A tiny star now brightly glows

We won't forget you little rose.blue_butterfly.gif

xxxxxxxxx

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

xxxxxxxxxx