MERCY - New v. Old

theedge763

• Subscriber

I was super excited to watch the live version of Mercy, one of my favorite unreleased songs, but I was extremely disappointed in the changes. Now obviously the HTDAAB version of the song needed a little bit of focusing (especially around the bridge), but I don't like this newer version. I miss the pre-chorus, the lyrics of the chorus (I actually hate the new chorus lyrics. the melody is great but the lyrics are trash), and Edge's solo seems a little out of place.

SOO, if you had to advise the band, would you tell them to stick with the new one or go back to the old version.

I vote for the older one.

If you haven't heard the old version, here it is:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I agree; I also prefer the "old" (unreleased) version.  Though, I understand the commercial aspect of things, too: the original version is "too long."  Let's see what version (if any) gets released --maybe both.  

Lance A. Schart
Chicago, IL USA

• Subscriber

ya know, i love both. i find the new version more....specific. I love the "you put the blue back in my eye" instead of "love puts the blue back in my eye.

LETS BE HAPPY THIS SONG WAS PLAYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like started jumping up and down. It WILL be one of their next hits. Everyone can relate to it.

either way, you have two great songs, whichever they release.

• Subscriber

Honestly, I love both versions of the song. I think we should just be happy that they are letting this great song finally see the light of day. I really hope that they do finally officially release this song, in whatever version -- old, new, or something in between.