MERCY - New v. Old

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I real hope the band reads this forum because they need to come to their senses and get closer to the original version. That original version is one of their best pieces of music in a long time. It is pure U2 - Bono lost in an almost ad-libbed lyrical trance and the band just building and building this simple but wonderful jam. It is not the gem of "Bad" but it gets damn close...

I admire the band for trying to play it live and raw. But the new version is a mere shell of the brilliance of the original, which was stupidly cut from HTDAAB...

I like the newer one more, but the older version is good to.....they should combine the two.

Kinda surprised some fans don't, it's the darker U2 you people have been crying for.

its dark alright! but the original chorus is much better i say. wouldnt you?

• Subscriber

Honestly, I love both versions of the song. I think we should just be happy that they are letting this great song finally see the light of day. I really hope that they do finally officially release this song, in whatever version -- old, new, or something in between. 
right there with you jenny!

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

Panth']I like the newer one more, but the older version is good to.....they should combine the two.

Kinda surprised some fans don't, it's the darker U2 you people have been crying for.

its dark alright! but the original chorus is much better i say. wouldnt you?

Nah, what'd be great though would be if they combined both.

I prefer the older version. You can still get into the new song, and it's good, but I think they polished it too much. The lyrics were outstanding on the original version, and the length of the versus was good. The pre chorus was something I miss as well. I think they just need to shorten the old version by about 30 seconds or a minute.