This foolishness can leave a heart black and blue

Only love, only love can leave such a mark

But only love, only love can heal such a scar

I was born

I was born to sing for you

I didn't have a choice but to lift you up

And sing whatever song you wanted me to

I give you back my voice

From the womb my first cry, it was a joyful noise ...

Justified till we die, you and I will magnify

The Magnificent

Magnificent

But only love, only love unites our hearts

Justified till we die, you and I will magnify

The Magnificent

Magnificent

Magnificent

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Oh thaks Naz - but I would have continued with Cedars until we have done it all. But just noticed this before bed time so of for a nice long sleep then will post my ideas in the morning.

Oh thaks Naz - but I would have continued with Cedars until we have done it all. But just noticed this before bed time so of for a nice long sleep then will post my ideas in the morning.

We are hunger for your ideas honey

Have a nice sleep Zhiv !

All right, I have to start

Don't you love when Bono says "All right"?...I feel electricity through my body when I hear him

About the song:

For me is a great, sexy, emotional, love song between 2 people.

In this space and time

It's like describing a precise moment of love, of meeting and enjoying.

That's the reason why I feel this song full of sex

Only to break rhyme, sounds to me like an orgasm (I've said it before)

This foolishness...more sex, the moment when you are enjoying life, just that, to have a body, the material life time

My first cry.... again, to have a body, so I can enjoy fisical love with my lover

The magnificent... Probably God, who made us with these bodies to enjoy that way of love.

• Subscriber

Ok - just a quick thought which I had whilst listening to this song the other day. And can I just say that I love this song it is probably my favourite on the whole album - the music, the lyrics, everything about it.

It has been said, like lots of other songs on this album, that this has its basis around religion with The Magnificent being God. And if you look at the lyrics this can be seen quite clearly.

I was born

I was born to sing for you

I didn't have a choice but to lift you up

And sing whatever song you wanted me to

I give you back my voice

From the womb my first cry, it was a joyful noise ...

This reads like the psalms which Bono is known to love and refer to a lot in his songs. He was born to sing for God - to worship God thorugh prayer and song, almost a hymn. It is something that he chose to do but something, as a christian and a believer, he has to do - something which comes naturally to him. God gave him life and because of that he gives himself back to God.

I used to think that this meant the effect that love has on our lives. To be truely loved by someone and to truely love someones ourselves leaves a metaphorical mark on our lives. And love and only love can can heal the hurt etc.. we experience in our lives.

But then I heard it again and had another idea. If The Magnificent is God and the whole song is a hymn and worship those two lines can mean something totally different ..... 'only love can leave such a mark' - what is the ultimate mark of love? Jesus dying on the cross to save us from our sins - God sent his Son to earth and he died for us. The scars of his death are physical marks but there is the spiritual mark which is left on us - and the forgiveness of our sins. And only the love of God and Jesus can heals the scars of our sins.

Makes sense Zhiv, too different from mine

Just one thing, the first verse "I was born, to be with you, in this space and time, after that, and ever after, I haven't had a clue, only to break rhyme"... ????????

PS: You make me look like a pervert, but, that's ok, I admit I'm a litle bit...LOL

• Subscriber

Makes sense Zhiv, too different from mine

Just one thing, the first verse "I was born, to be with you, in this space and time, after that, and ever after, I haven't had a clue, only to break rhyme"... ????????

PS: You make me look like a pervert, but, that's ok, I admit I'm a litle bit...LOL

Hey Naz - we are all slightly perverted on here so that is ok.

And end of first verse will have a think and write about it tomorrow