There Are Two Sides to Every Story....

security_in_anonymity

There is  criticism circulating in the press regarding recent marketing strategies by the ONE campaign to entice the press to report on the campaign's current effort to get President Obama to give 6 billion to the Global Fund.  I have no problem with the money spent on the marketing pitch to reporters (a gift box with schwag), and think those criticisms are a bit silly.    But I am curious about this other little "factoid," which is included in every report:  

"The truth about ONE - while it took in cloe to $15 million in donations in 2008, only $184,732 was actually donated to charity. That's opposed to the $8 million the charity spent on executive and employee salaries."

Would anyone like to provide the "other side" of this story?  I am sure there is one....

I don't know, but I think I would have my PR person pay less attention to the schwag-box criticism and more to this...which is the kind of thing that can do a tremendous amount of damage very very quickly if not properly addressed and before it becomes an issue of "crisis-management."  Just suggesting....

I guess there is only a problem if there are savvy people out there who might "have it in" for these organizations and know how to exploit this kind of thing.  If not, then no big deal.  But if so, then, potentially, a very big deal.

Ok, well, I am working for a short period on a union political campaign (overnight), and one of my activist colleagues just answered this question:

One is not a charity. It is strictly a lobbying organization, and the money raised is spent to pay staff to lobby and organize. I guess the donors who gave 14million knew this, and did not think they were actually contributing directly to health/development programs.

Heh, probably the people who wrote those articles know this too, but have tried to pervert the message. Even someone like me, who used to be a supporter of ONE, had to back up and double-check what was going on here.

• Subscriber

Glad that it all seems to make sense. I would be very upset if ONE did do something like this. It is an organsiation I believe so strongly in and am a very active member. It is something that every person and every organisation should sign up to!

• Subscriber

indifferent.gifI thought we were lobbying and we don't get paid and internet petitions don't need that much money to organise surely.

I recently organiszed a petition to my local council and apparently I only needed 6 signatures in order for the petition to be raised and the matter dealt with at the next meeting.

I attended the meeting and our petition was approved.

I would've hoped that a lot of the work done by these charity organisations was by volunteers but apparently a lot of people are jumping on the charity bandwagon and working for them simply because it looks really good on their c.v./resume.

It was even in the top 10 ways to get a job poll recently - work for a charity.

• Subscriber

I would've hoped that a lot of the work done by these charity organisations was by volunteers but apparently a lot of people are jumping on the charity bandwagon and working for them simply because it looks really good on their c.v./resume.

It was even in the top 10 ways to get a job poll recently - work for a charity.

which is understandable, shirley, working for charity proves you're engaged in your community and you like to be active. and employers like these qualities in their employees. and its a pity bout people don do anything for free these days, and in order to get them to do something good for society, politicians expect you to support their funds.... thats just how it goes.