I really like U2 BUT...

Infin8tum

• Subscriber

Regardless about whatever happens with Bono's charity work; good, bad or indifferent, I will always be a U2 fan. The music, the band and his work need to be viewed as separate issues. I will always be a fan of U2's music.

thats about it! and thats how it should be.

may i add that they never focus on the positives do they. where are the stats for that?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah the tabloid stuff (in my opinion) goes in one of my ears and out the other because it comes with the age since nothing surprises me anymore.

This stuff doesn't surprise me because:

1 Tabloids often exxaggerate and everything to increase their sales.

2. Some people are under the misconception  charities such as One.org don't have bills and office staff to pay when in reality they still  pay their staff members and bills as other companies do.

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

ceallach67']Regardless about whatever happens with Bono's charity work; good, bad or indifferent, I will always be a U2 fan. The music, the band and his work need to be viewed as separate issues. I will always be a fan of U2's music.

may i add that they never focus on the positives do they. where are the stats for that?

Good question, Mac. I guess the positives don't sell news or make for good gossip stories.

• Subscriber
 Ah the tabloid stuff (in my opinion) goes in one of my ears and out the other because it comes with the age since nothing surprises me anymore.

This stuff doesn't surprise me because:

1 Tabloids often exxaggerate and everything to increase their sales.

2. Some people are under the misconception  charities such as One.org don't have bills and office staff to pay when in reality they still  pay their staff members and bills as other companies do.

Maybe tabloids should reveal their stats.

what they pay their staff

what their editors get paid

what their carbon footprint is - extremely large they are chewing up trees everyday

do their journalists stay in run down b and b's when they are "monitoring" a celebrity

how much petrol do their journalists use whilst they are "monitoring" celebrities. etc etc etcbored.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

ceallach67']Regardless about whatever happens with Bono's charity work; good, bad or indifferent, I will always be a U2 fan. The music, the band and his work need to be viewed as separate issues. I will always be a fan of U2's music.

Because if they did that it may put these hypocrits like Bono in a good light and may have to say something positive about him - and would the papers really do that?wink.gif

Hmm.  A lot of fuss about nothing, really.  As many others have pointed out, ONE has never presented itself as a "charity," but rather as a lobbying/advocacy operation. Their having nonprofit status doesn't mean that it's a "charity," there are different types of (tax-exempt) nonprofits that pay salaries--have you seen how much some universities pay their top brass?--that don't make disbursement of money or materials their primary work.

And was it a slow news day or something?  Wasn't there, hmmmmaybe,  an election in Afghanistan where our fuh-ree-dumm loving allies, installed in power at the cost of many lives (and much money), were out in force, buying and stealing votes? With the money they've made in the opium trade? 

Oh, that might raise some awkward issues, like the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq being huge mistakes and doomed to fail from Day One.  Not the sort of thing a couple of conservative tabloids might want to print.  Easier to gin up a bit of ire over something Bono's done lately.

Bet they drank the free cofee, by the way.

What I do find interesting is that two mass-market conservo papers have given ONE a kicking.   Seem to recall that ONE was once quite the celebrity-darling of the conservative/neo-con types; aid to Africa and/or the developing world served as a nice fig leaf for all the war-mongering coming from the US/UK. Now that those wars have degenerated themselves, and the world economy has gone to hell in a bucket, and there are new parties in power in the US and UK, is Bono's "rich people will save the world!" philosophy no longer needed? 

The NY Post, by the way, is owned by the News Corp, aka Ruper Murdoch, who also owns Fox, etc. etc.

Oh, and years ago, the Post also ran the now-legendary tabloid headine:

HEADLESS BODY FOUND IN TOPLESS BAR.

Some things you just can't make up!

-- eaplatt

[quote name='eaplatt wrote:

Infin8tum']

This technology would help the poor much more, not to mention save the human race!!!

I'd rather have my own personal jetpack. 

--

You would be travelling on one of the slowest things on the planet. You would look rediculous.

I guess you are a petrol head then.

This is Nikola Tesla/Ed Leedskalnin type technology. This kind of technology has been suppressed by oil giants for decades to protect their obscene powers of wealth & control over the likes of you and me but I guess you just enjoy being controlled this way!

Open your eyes!