Lets Get Real about ending poverty

[quote name='basher1 wrote:

illumination70']  I might get alot of heat for this, but how about ending poverty going on in our own backyards because I see so much homelessness, hunger or lack of proper healthcare in many parts of the world including the US which really grills me.

i really really love this statement i have stated this a few times. nice one.

yes. there is also poverty here in the UK. i agree totally with this. maybe bono should have started little. like poverty closer to home. and the built up. africa just seems like a lost cause. no offence, but when bono started his journey way back in 2000, drop the debt, right throught to live8, it just seems all the positive speeches bono was making back then, i cant really see THAT much change. things may have got better, or a percentage of AIDS deaths might have lowered, but not the amount bono would have liked.

this is why i think he tries even harder, for what? for the good of the world. to make africa free of debt and lower the AIDS numbers and risk. why slate him for it. if bono were to pull out of such a thing then at least he has tried. but i cant see him pulling out.

but as i said, maybe he should have started on a smaller scale, and then built up.

• Subscriber

[quote name='shirley2010 wrote:

illumination70']  I might get alot of heat for this, but how about ending poverty going on in our own backyards because I see so much homelessness, hunger or lack of proper healthcare in many parts of the world including the US which really grills me.

Well said Illumi I think it is disgusting that there are homeless people on the streets in my country and we are supposed to be one of the 1st world countries.

A friend of mine who is a nurse went to Africa and on one street half of it was owned by the really rich affluent people practically living in mansions and across the street were people living in tents and shacks and basically crawling in the dirt with no clean water.  She decided she was not giving to charities in Africa anymore as their own people don't care about them.

It is the conscience of the corrupt leaders that needs to be blown apart (I was going to type pricked but that isn't working)

before any real changes are made.

I think shame is one of life's greatest teachers and we really need to shame these people into treating their own countrymen properly.

Actually I really don't have a clue what works best and I can't spell conshense. Maybe if we all sort our own countries out first then we could preach at them better but while we have homeless starving people in our own cities we really have nothing to bargain with because they can just take a trip and point out our own homeless and say "you've no room to talk." frown.gif

Shirley I do agree in some way with you - in fact all you say makes sense. And I can understand where your friend is coming from with being angry about wealthy people in African countries not wanting to help their own. But unfortunately we have this in England too. How many times have we walked past someone homeless begging on the streets? But the gap in African countries and other countries is a lot bigger than it is in some areas of our lives. I will support charities at home and overseas - as poverty is something that should be erradicated the world over and could easily happen if governments would allow it. But greed stops it - not saying that we are all greedy and want to see people dying of hunger but certain governments do. And if African nations had oil I am sure that more would be done to end the dictatorships like happened in the middle east - cynical I know, but true! We need to learn more about compassion and empathy in schools alongside the business studies and self awareness.

And BTW you spelt conscience correctly the first time lol!laugh.gif

Bono, a voice in the wilderness, a lion in the midst. One who speaks for the voiceless, the ones in darkness, the ones for whom there is no SUN. I am pro Bono. Bono is the man who shows the best of us all. He gives humanity a good name. Bono is he whom God found worthy to be our light, our enlightened Prince Bono. One Man Comes In The Name of Love.  My zootopian friends, Realm loves and adores Mr. Hewsen, better known as Bonovox, a man of many colours. A man worthy of Realm's praise. Thank God for Bono. Realm needs her true Prince. And I found him. He has all the qualities of an enlightened man. A true Prince lies within him. Humble, kind, wise, very very enchanting. Bono is Realm's true Prince from Ireland.  We can eliminate poverty if we stand together as one, care for each other, not be so consumed with ourselves, but give ourselves away, I am for whomever needs me. I am Realm, daisy of Bono. 

Realmawake