ONE CAMPAIGN JOKE !

Hey You.....

ONE is not a charity.  That the media keeps referring to it as such is a mean and misleading manipulation of the reader.  Don't be that guy....  :-)
There is already another thread about this.  Here is a little bit of info from that thread for you:

Bono's charity ONE is looking to clear the air after some sketchy details about their organization came to the surface.
Here's ONE's statement on the recent allegations against them:

Contrary to the suggestion in the New York Post yesterday, ONE does not fundraise from the general public and we are not a grant-making organization. We are funded almost entirely by a handful of philanthropists on our board of directors to raise awareness and pressure political leaders to fight extreme poverty through smart and effective policies and programs, like the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria, which is saving 4,000 lives a day.

ONE has nearly 120 staff in the US, UK, Germany, Brussels, France, Nigeria and South Africa whose job it is to fight for funding for effective programs like the Fund and the US global AIDS program PEPFAR. As a result of those programs, today more than 4 million Africans have access to life-saving AIDS medication, up from only 50,000 people in 2002. Malaria deaths have been cut in half in countries across Africa in less than 2 years.
As other examples of our work, ONE helped successfully press for debt relief for Haiti after the devastating earthquake there and we recently played an important role in the passage of a law in the US requiring oil companies to report any payments to government officials – an effort to end backhanded deals between energy companies and corrupt politicians that hurt people in poor countries.

ONE has been a relentless advocate for these programs and policies and we have used the media spotlight to ensure world leaders keep their commitments. The media kits that were mentioned in the New York Post article, which were produced for far less than was cited and delivered by staff and volunteers, not a messenger service, were an effort to focus reporters on the Millennium Development Goals, a set of promises world leaders made to cut poverty, hunger and disease by 2015.

In hindsight, the kits were not the best way to gain attention for the issues and we regret that sending them distracted from the work we are trying to do and the issues we care about.

Simple question is raising awareness and not DIRECT action keeping some one from starving ? Once again the innocent are being given a " oh poor you " look while those involved eat their caviar .Pathetic, it's not speculation , its FACT BUDDY 

• Subscriber

Says it all really i'm not totally blaming Bono but his eyes would not be totally closed, every "boss" knows in some way or the other what's going on.I feel ripped off and angry what a fucking joke !

LINK:)

http://www.heraldsun.com....y-e6frf96o-1225928938600

Never mind sweetie you are not the first to go in all guns blazing when you first come into the Zoo.  It is pretty much a learning curve. Try not to take offence remember things can easily be misconstrued in a sentence and if you find yourself getting too worked up take a break.

I have found that approaching things with a sense of humour works best.

You have a feisty spirit and that is a good start.

Welcome to the Zoo.  cute.gif

Once again the innocent are being given a " oh poor you " look while those involved eat their caviar .Pathetic, it's not speculation , its FACT BUDDY 

Well, I would agree partially with this.  There is certainly a good bit of this patronizing sentiment at play, no doubt. 

But, that is a different critique then suggesting the organization is misleading anyone.  They are very transparant about the scope and goals of their operation. And, lets face it....chairty and philanthropy are rich men's games.

Donors get alot out of such activity, and I am not sure how much of it--really at the deep deep roots--is really an impetus toward humanitarian action.  But who cares, if the result is progress?  They are the ones who have to deal with their own issues of speaking-truth-to-self regarding their motivations. This does not concern anyone else. 

Besides,  I think everyone involved in these sorts of things sleeps very comfortably, with no pangs of conscience at all.

Once again the innocent are being given a " oh poor you " look while those involved eat their caviar .Pathetic, it's not speculation , its FACT BUDDY 

Well, I would agree partially with this.  There is certainly a good bit of this patronizing sentiment at play, no doubt. 

But, that is a different critique then suggesting the organization are misleading anyone.  They are very transparant about the scope and goals of their operation. And, lets face it....chairty and philanthropy are rich men's games.

There is a lot donors get out of such activity, and I am not sure how much of it--really at the deep deep roots--is really an impetus toward humanitarian action.  But who cares, if the result is forward progress?  They are the one's who have to deal with their own issues of speaking-truth-to-self about their motivations. This does not concern anyone else. 

Besides,  I think everyone involved in these sorts of things sleeps very comfortably, with no pangs of conscience at all.

• Subscriber

Before anyone gets on the bandwagon of bashing yet another campaign, lets remember that One is not a charity - it has never said that its goal is to give money to charitable organisations. It is a campaign and advocacy organisation rasing awareness and campaigning for debts to be dropped and for all people to live as one no matter where they come from every child should have a right to education, everyone should have a right to clean water etc.... nowhere on their website does it say that they collect money or fundraise or give any money as an organisation.

http://www.one.org/international/issues/

This is what One is all about - and it is something that I am a very active member of and would be honoured of one day I could become a member of their staff.

• Subscriber

you single ?

you sound hot !

got yourself an admirer, shirley!!lol!
listen austy, we had this article posted some days ago, and first thing to go through my minds was: hey! i'm a member of ONE, and they have never asked for my money. they only ask for your voice, to wake awareness about these poverty and injustice-issues. and yes that takes money... they're working with politicians and governments that arent always honest (not to say who are corrupt) ....
and yes the members of the board are wealthy guys, but atleast they give a shit! they could sit back and enjoy life and spend money on luxery and parties and decadence and close their eyes for the fact that in most parts of this beautiful world mothers are unable to feed their kids, babies die from a disease with a little name cause there's no money to give them the medicine that could save them.....

i'm just thankful they use their name and money to change the world. and i can give my support to their actions.